VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
13,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, So I'm about elbow deep into my search for Miatas, and find clapped out cars from shadeballs that I just don't want to deal with, I lose out on Ebay on a few promising local ones, I get no callbacks from answering machines that sound like Beavis and Butthead, or I find guys who think their 180,000 mile, needs a paint job and new top 1990 Base car with busted A/C is worth $4,000. Yeah...in 1997 it may have been.
But amid the ruin and rubble I have come across a tasty example. It's a '91 Silverstone base car with A/C. Overall very good condition, new top, new Dunlops, recent T-belt and waterpump change. All receipts, about $120 on the clock. The owner HAD a hardtop, but sold it
, however, he has now fully lowered his price by 1/3

It is my intention to go in, ninja style, and secure this Miata, for it will allow me to put gas in my Allstate agents boat.
Now, it IS a base car. It's sitting on some sad sack steelies. They're in excellent shape, but they look like freakin' birds legs.
Now, I've always liked the look of NICE upgrades. Things that look period correct and do not appear out of place. Subtle upgrades that set the car out, but not in a teenager retard sort of way. Sorry guys, I don't drive around with fart cans and stained back bumpers. I like a lot of the upgraded OEM parts of the Miata and this is the route I'm thinking of going for appearance. Of course not all of these are OEM, but I don't think they detract from the car, or cheapen it. What do you think?
Power increases, and improvements to handling will come later. Hence, this is part 1.
File Foto. No markers or alloys on mine

And add these items, for the OEM Upgrade look

Front air dam

Rear apron spoiler

Guards, in black naturally

Some leather grips

kick it up a bit

A rear lip

Leather bag and voodoo knob

Black style bar or silver? Not sure.

sitting on either a set of these

or Enkeis from a newer Miata

comments, suggestions, death threats, donations?

Modified by JrodVW at 2:13 AM 2-14-2004

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Re: The Miata Eventual buildup; part 1. (JrodVW)

M I N I L I T E S
Old school is the way to go. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
And before mtrain says it: YOU... ABSOLUTE... BASTARD!

·
Registered
19,458 Posts

I concur with going the OEM path initially. You'll get the most satisfaction from the little things first, as you drive the car and get used to it. Don't invest too much in the looks up front, just keep it clean yet unique, and keep saving $ for perf. mods or a new ragtop and hardtop. Telling ya, the hardtops really make the car fun http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Then a little later on, after the stage IV turbo V8 swap and full roll cage, you might think about rolling the fenders a little bit

Now for the nitty gritty..
Front spoiler: LOVE the R1 package lip front/rear and the mudflaps. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Wheels: Either the dark centered ones you pictured, as they look good on Japanese cars, or look for facotry BBS or some Panasports.
Hoop bars: I'd go with the chrome. Although the black looks sporty, I think the chrome is a classy attention grabber which brings a classic/retro feel. The black makes it look more "modern" in my mind..
Boot spoiler - lip style http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
chromed /polished vent rings http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I'd also add the following:
1. White face gauges with indiglo - the OEM green stuff makes me sick

2. Front strut tower brace - handling!
3. underbody chassis stiffeners (as like the 93+ cars got which bolted from frame to body) handling!
4. front/rear lower tie bars (I've heard they do good, but I haven't tried them yet)
5. tires!
6. Tonneau cover so you don't see the ragtop folded down behind the seats
7. trunk lining / piillow for left side of fender wall (so loose items in the trunk don't make a dent from inside the fender wall - common problem!)
8. remote trunk opener in center armrest next to fuel door latch (you'll love that!)
9. recaro/momo/sparco seats.. ya know, seats are good!
10. pedal set? NO! Unless you have tiny feet, it's crowded enough!!! I actually had biigger pedals on mine for a week, then the accelerator got snagged on the floor mat while I was driving down a canyon!! SCARY!!! I was like
Untiil I pulled the key from the ignition.. Putting the car in neutral was just letting it bounce off the limiter (not good!)
11. HP/TQ.. I prefer N/A over FI, but everyone's different. I don't think you need too much to start with, so just some basic headers/hi-flo cat/exhaust with a cold air or K&N and some software upgrade, plus some ignition wires and plugs, should net ~20HP/TQ if not more. (I think JR claimes 15 with the headers alone.)
12. Seat time.. Should really be #1, but I think I was looking at $$ first..

Just a few random ideas I had looking at the photos.. I'm sure there's much more (radio!) but once you get the car, you may find you're happy enough with it as is.. I know I had a lot of plans for my car, but once I brought it home, I realized I was really happy with it for what it was.. It's really one car that doesn't dissapoint! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
13,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: The Miata Eventual buildup; part 1. (PsyberVW)

Yeah, I get the feeling I am going to be pretty happy with it as is. THe car has a brand new OEM Soft top, and a nice Alpine CD player. I'm not sure what you mean by the hardtop really making the car fun.
Explain?
Some good suggestions in there, I like them and will definetly give them some thought.

·
Registered
19,458 Posts

The hardtop tightens it up, and kills a lot of noise + helps stabiliize temps (hot or cold) -- totally changes the character of the car. It's like having two different cars!!!
You've really got to try it out! If you lived down here I'd let you borrow mine for a couple weeks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
8,656 Posts

Unless it's also priced very low, you might be better off finding a higher trim level or newer Miata that has some of the stuff that you want as well as the stuff you probably want like LSD.

·
Banned
13,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: The Miata Eventual buildup; part 1. (Y2kSI)

Quote, originally posted by Y2kSI »
Unless it's also priced very low.....

"Do you remember when it was Ridiculous day at the Deli? Prices were so low it was ridiculous."
Yeah, it's low. That and the condition really is nice.

·
Registered
27,104 Posts

There is a really cheap miata near me for 2,000 bucks that I wanted to buy for a 13B swap but if you want it PM me. It has a cage already in place *black* red, stock everything else except for some suspension work.
As for your mods. I don't personally like the chrome roll bar, too much bling for a car that doesn't need it. As for wheels, don't FD RX7 wheels fit? If they do get those
For the shift knob, I'd stray FAR away from the big round chrome knobs. In the summertime it's hell trying to shift with a warm knob and in the winter time you feel as if a piece of your skin will get stuck to it.
A good leather knob is the way to go personally.

·
Banned
13,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: The Miata Eventual buildup; part 1. (PineappleMonkey)

If you're interested in a local Miata, by all means go for it. Not sure if it's feasible for me to fly out to Illinois to drive a car back with my scheduling, but I'm all for hearing about the car and some contact info.
Since the car is silver and so much of the lower portions would be black (lip/dam/guards) + the upper portions (top of car, entire interior) I thought the chrome bar would help add some relief.
I'm not normally a fan of big metal knobs either, but Voodoo knobs have a nice solid feel to them. Maybe the leather knob from a Probe GT/Mazda MX6 fits. That's a possibility.

·
Banned
13,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (nuxx)

Quote, originally posted by nuxx »
I voted for Veilside, because I happen to like body kits.

Looks up
Jeez, you DID vote for that.
A joke has gone awry...

·
Registered
'20 Kia Telluride SX, '17 Mazda CX-5, '07 Airstream Safari SE 23'
11,112 Posts
Re: (JrodVW)

A collegue has Minilites on his white 1990 Miata - they look great.
The bummer with the chrome "style bar" is that they cost a whole lot more than just a plain black one. Also note that most double hoop bars aren't considered functional roll bars, except for the Boss Frog bar (from what I recall.)
Damn you, the silver Miata is one of my faves....
Tom

·
Registered
906 Posts

Totally agree with the classy/period correct look. That's the only way to go IMO.

·
Registered
13,720 Posts

http://www.triplezoom.com Come over and join the party

I prefer the OEM upgrade, but do me a favor and don't get a style bar, get a real harddog roll bar. I'm ordering the duece for my miata this weekend. It isn't all that much more and will support the car
Mike

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Re: (VWMike81)

miatas need panasports! no other wheel will come close. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,194 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JrodVW »

OK, drop this on coilovers, add those "bolt on" flat black fender flares and put on a set of these in 13 x 7

Compomotive CXRs.
You'd be an instant Car Lounge hero!

·
Registered
3,120 Posts

Quote, originally posted by nuxx »
I voted for Veilside, because I happen to like body kits.

This is where one of those barfing icons is needed

1 - 20 of 40 Posts