VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Vendor
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The MK6 Inexpensive Coilover Thread

[email protected] | +1.480.966.3040 x270 | www.vividracing.com

Sometimes, we just wanna ball on a budget and it can be hard to find something that is both inexpensive and of good quality.
So, I decided to make this thread to open up discussion of the less expensive coilover systems that are out there. Feel free to chime in with your experiences and suggestions as well! I love hearing from the community.
Everything listed will be sub 1,000.00 USD.

Don't forget to reach out to me for special pricing! I'm listing MSRP and sale prices in this thread but I'll beat any price.

First up, Solo Werks S1 Coilovers.

MSRP: 599.00 On Sale For 499.00 USD + Shipping

Not a whole lot of a description from SW but they did list a few features.

Notable features:
*Front 35-65mm (1.4-2.5") Lowering Range
*Rear 35-70mm (1.4-2.75") Lowering Range
*3 Year Warranty

The reviews on these coilovers are very very positive. For the price, it is hard to not want to give them a try! Some folks say that if you live somewhere with bad roads that they can be a little harsh, though.
I've seen them compared to FK coilovers and other entry level coils.

Next up, Function & Form

NOTE: These do NOT fit the GTI.

MSRP: 830.00 On sale for 820.00 + Shipping

From F&F:
The TYPE 1 coilover is a full bodied coilover with simplicity in mind. We set the dampening characteristics for you and also chose less aggressive spring rates to match the fixed dampening.
What we did not change was the durability, quality, smoothness of ride and lowering characteristics we are known for. We recommend for the TYPE 1 product line for anybody that wants to enjoy performance, quality and great looks in a simplistic way.
Install, set your height, and you are ready to roll! Don't let simplicity fool you. The TYPE 1 suspension system is constructed with the same materials as our TYPE 2 systems. We used the same approach and philosophy in construction and strength.
Our main goal is to give you a peace of mind when commuting or cruising on the weekend.

Notable features:
*6k Front springs 6k Rear
*Steel lower mounts
*Top mounts included

These are a relatively new brand that I don't have much experience with. Have you run these coils?

BC Racing BR Series Extreme Low

MSRP: 1,050.00 on sale for 995.00 + Shipping

From BC:
The BC Racing BR Series is our most popular suspension package. Equally at home on street and track the BR Series offers the best of both worlds with ride height and damping adjustability.
Damping is adjusted simultaneously and height is adjusted independently of piston and spring stroke. The BR Series offers a minimum 2 inch drop* as well as 30 levels of damping adjustment.
Assembled by hand in our facility, each application undergoes stringent quality control protocols to deliver the best possible suspension product to the consumer. Our most added value to our customers is the option to customize spring and damping rates to your to your individual preference.
The BR Series is not meant as an entry level suspension setup but as a versatile setup that excels across a number of automotive disciplines.

Notable features:
*7kg Front springs 6kg rear
*30 levels of simultaneous compression / rebound adjustment
*Camber Plates

BC is a common name for coilovers. Especially their Extreme Low series. The ride quality is great and they get DOWN.

Next up, ST Suspension Coilovers

MSRP: 999.99 + Shipping

From ST:
ST coilovers are manufactured by KW.
This product line takes the experience that KW is known for and applies it to the ST line of coilovers.
The new KW ST Coilover product line is to introduce the rookies a better way to indulge that car of theirs.
As the growing trend of people wanting the best bang for the buck, the ST product line provides that and much more with thorough knowledge of a top of a line coilover systems.
The ST Coilover system is built from Galvanized Steel housing for the durability KW is known so well for. The Compression and Rebound preset at the factory to optimize a balance between performance and comfort. On top of that, the new ST Coilovers have the stamp of quality any KW suspension emerges from the factory with the ever so height adjustable components for the personalized look and feel. This is easily accomplished with KW's own TUV tested lowering range.

Notable features
*Front Lowering: 0.4" to 1.6"
*Rear Lowering: 0.6" to 1.6"
*Made by KW!!

I think these are pretty self explanatory. ST makes a fantastic set and forget coilover!

Next up, Godspeed

They have two different sets of coils for less than the 1k mark and I'll cover them both!

Godspeed Project Mono SS Coilovers

MSRP: 700.00 USD On sale for 630.00 + Shipping

From Godspeed:
Godspeed Project's MonoSS is our one entity in our family of single-adjustable coilover suspension kits.
These coilovers are designed to be a streetable race built coilover at an affordable price. It features a monotube damper that is made out of a carbon seamless steel 52mm tube with a performance internal piston providing maximum damper response.
The cold-bent springs are made from high strength SAE9252 steel to optimize the balance between performance and comfort. Using race quality shock oil, Godspeed Project can guarantee exceptional damper performance at any temperature on and off the track. The top of the shock is attached to the car using a high quality top hat that features a high performance Japanese KOYO 6204Z bearing pillow ball mount (when applicable).
The bottom shock brackets are made out of a T7075 forged aluminum or carbon steel brackets for lighter weight without sacrificing durability which also includes brake line brackets (when applicable). The MonoSS offers 16 level of damper adjustability which can be set to your preference.

Notable features:
*Pillowball mounts to combat popping/binding.
*Front camber plates.
*8kg/mm Front springs and 5kg/mm rear springs.
*16 levels of damper adjustment.
*The shocks are rebuildable.

I haven't had any direct feedback on this particular model but I have for the next ones. As a brand, I've heard great things from my customers, though!

Gospeed Project MonoMaxx Coilovers

MSRP: 900.00 On sale for 840.00 + Shipping

From Godspeed:
Godspeed Project's MonoMAXX is our premier single-adjustable coilover suspension kit. These coilovers are designed to be a streetable race built coilover at an affordable price.
It features a monotube damper that is made out of a carbon seamless steel 52mm tube with a 44mm internal piston providing maximum damper response.
The cold-bent springs are made from high strength SAE9252 steel to optimize the balance between performance and comfort. Using high quality shock oil made in Italy, Godspeed Project can guarantee exceptional damper performance at any temperature on and off the track.
The top of the shock is attached to the car using a high quality top hat that features a high performance bearing pillow ball mount (when applicable). The bottom shock brackets are made out of a T7075 forged aluminum or carbon steel brackets for lighter weight without sacrificing durability which also includes brake line brackets (when applicable).
The MonoMAXX offers 40 level of damper adjustability which can be set to your preference.

Noteable features:
*Pillowball mounts to combat popping/binding.
*Front camber plates.
*9kg/mm Front springs and 5kg/mm rear springs.
*40 levels of damper adjustment
*Rebuildable as well

I have heard great things about these coilovers. I actually have considered them myself. I've ridden in cars with them installed as well! They aren't insanely bouncy and the adjust does actually make a difference. You can kind of see that they definitely made these a little more... pretty.
What I like about Godspeed is that they include camber plates in both sets. I feel like a lot of coilover companies do not include them for the VW's we drive.

Up next, Megan Racing

MSRP: 999.00 On sale for 879.12 + Shipping

From Megan:
The Euro Street Series is our new Luxury Package based off of our Street-Series coil-over line-up using similar specifications and design, but offering a more conservative spring and damper setup for a more comfortable ride, yet still providing a sporty feel and control.
Megan Racing Coil-Over Dampers are the ultimate upgrade to your track or street car. Featuring 32 levels of damper force adjustment, separate spring perch height and shock length adjustment allowing you to retain full suspension stroke and to fine tune your suspension characteristics. These damper kits are then perfectly matched with front and rear Pillow Ball upper mounts, including camber plates integrated with the upper Pillow Ball mounts on strut-type suspension applications.

Notable Features:
*7kg/mm Front springs 5kg/mm rear
*Camber plates with pillowball mounts
*Reuses rear mount
*Endlinks included
*32 Level of damping adjustment

A friend of mine has an MK6 with these coilovers and they really aren't bad! They ride really well and are pretty well designed, too!

Up Next, Forge Coilovers

MSRP: 1,200.00 On sale for 968.35 + Shipping

From Forge:
The Forge Motorsport suspension gives you the best balance between performance & comfort.
With 32 levels of dampening adjustability the suspension kit can be set to any preference, for track or street driving, and adjust both bump and rebound at the same time
Pillow ball top mounts on the front shocks in order to dial IN camber
Manufactured from carbon steel 52mm diameter seamless tube (to JIS G3445 and DIN2393).
A 44mm linear characteristic internal piston provides the best dampening response for the tube diameter.
The high viscosity oil used in the damper ensures the very best and most efficient shock-absorbing action.
The length of the shock can be adjusted, preventing the need to adjust the spring perch like on a normal coil-over, and so offering the maximum shock-absorbing travel.
Cold drawn springs are manufactured from high strength steel (to SAE9252).
Spring rates of 9kg/mm (front) and 5kg/mm (rear) for Golf Mk6

Notable Features:
*Camber Plates
*32 Levels of dampening
*Pillow ball mounts

Forge makes great products. I have no personally used their coilovers but I've heard awesome things about their quality!

And finally, KSport

MSRP: 1,000.00 On sale for 850.00 + Shipping

From KSport:
Ksport Kontrol Pro Fully Adjustable Coilover Kits provide the ultimate in suspension technology for your vehicle, both on the street or at the track. 36 levels of damping adjustment allow fine tuning of the damper to suit both handling and comfort needs. The damping adjustment alters compression and rebound simultaneously, for more effective and user-friendly setup changes.

Notable features:
*Camber plates
*Pillow ball mounts
*36 levels of damping adjustment
*12 month warranty

Ksport is local to us here in AZ. They are involved in Motorsport and are all around great guys. I've been in many man cars that use their coilovers. From Subarus to VWs. they ride great and include instructions to help with install!

So there you have it! Have any other suggestions that should be added to this thread? Post them up! I'm sure folks that are looking into coils would value your input!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts