VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Re: (watanabe2k)

Quote, originally posted by watanabe2k »

Finally, as for Hispanic support, a research paper published in 2005 using the first five years of MLS attendance coupled with data from the US census bureau and bureau of economic analysis found that areas with higher Hispanic population in general have lower attendance numbers. I know this goes counter to logic, however you have to consider that these populations are most likely to already have ties to clubs in Mexico and other Central American countries. Because of this, and the fact that these clubs play at the same time as the MLS, many of the Hispanic fans are possibly watching their favorite teams on cable/satellite tv, instead of going to MLS matches.

Mexico is playing Iceland here in Charlotte as I write this. There are 75K plus hispanic/mexican fans in downtown CLT right now, some having travelled from as far as Texas for this game. While I fully understand the support for their national team is going to be 1000X greater than any support for a SE MLS team with a few hispanic players would be...every TV interview I've seen so far these past 2 days has had them say they'd love to have an local MLS team to support. Just food for thought...

·
Registered
730 Posts
Re: (dokter stranj)

Quote, originally posted by dokter stranj »
so stoked for thursday!!!
let's gooooo!!!

Leaving for this in about an hour. CANT WAIT!

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Re: (tbvvw)

Quote, originally posted by tbvvw »

Mexico is playing Iceland here in Charlotte as I write this. There are 75K plus hispanic/mexican fans in downtown CLT right now, some having travelled from as far as Texas for this game. While I fully understand the support for their national team is going to be 1000X greater than any support for a SE MLS team with a few hispanic players would be...every TV interview I've seen so far these past 2 days has had them say they'd love to have an local MLS team to support. Just food for thought...

What people say on TV isn't necessarily indicative of what the group as a whole wants. Don't get me wrong, I think the MLS could use a team in the Southeast, however, at this point in time, the MLS really needs to start worrying about over expanding. They are headed towards becoming another NASL if they keep adding more and more teams.
At least the league avoided a strike, that would have been the death of the league.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Re: (dokter stranj)

What a difference between the Sounders and Union though. The Sounders never really looked like they were not in control. Sure the home crowd, season opener helps but you could see the vast difference in those two sides.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Re: (JTiberiVR6)

Quote, originally posted by JTiberiVR6 »
What a difference between the Sounders and Union though. The Sounders never really looked like they were not in control. Sure the home crowd, season opener helps but you could see the vast difference in those two sides.

Philly having to play a man down for an entire half, on an artificial surface, 2300 miles across the country, and in the rain sure made for a boring second half.
I thought the ref was a little quick with the cards in my opinion. I thought the second yellow was on the soft side, even though that challenge was stupid (an opponent collecting a ball in his own half, running towards his own goals, ball at chest height, in the rain).
The Union game this Saturday against DC will hopefully be a little more interesting and hopefully resemble European football a little more. I have season tickets this year, and if that doesn't get me interested in the MLS, absolutely nothing will.
Being full of beer will help. I just need to study a little on this league, I don't know anyone

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Re: (Joe Delaware)

Yeah, not sure if he was trying to set precedent for the season with not tolerating some questionable tackles but I don't think there was any intent to injure on either, just sloppy play.
I'm going to try and follow them this season and if I like what I see, I may get into it. I just have a tough time with these MLS "supporter" groups due to them attracting alot of boners that have zero clue about the game.
Case in point, I realize most of the SOBs have their heart in the right place but you don't make up for the lack of knowledge of the game by chanting stolen songs from UEFA clubs and sporting scarves.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JTiberiVR6 »

Case in point, I realize most of the SOBs have their heart in the right place but you don't make up for the lack of knowledge of the game by chanting stolen songs from UEFA clubs and sporting scarves.

It goes both ways for me (no ****). While I've come across my fair share of S.O.B. retards, I still have to give them some respect for getting a team to the Philly area. They're a pretty organized group of fans/supporters and they go all out for tailgating and bar events.
The whole song and scarf thing is a bit much, but everything has to start somewhere. I think they're using some European songs to try and emulate the atmosphere that we all crave. The scarf thing, well it's a start and I have to admit to having one. It a simple two color bar scarf, so that's how i rationalize it to myself in the mirror every morning.
I went to the Dark Horse for the opening game against Seattle and the freaking place was packed. Nice to see that many people actually care about football in the area. I ran into a lot of guys there and I'd say it was about 50/50 of people that had a clue to people that played in rec ball for their local parks and rec program. The only thing that really get's me pissed/feel embarrassed for them is the whole Elder thing they have going on, seems like a geeky frat to me.
All in all, I'm pretty excited for this weekend and to see how the whole season shakes out.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Joe Delaware »

I went to the Dark Horse for the opening game against Seattle and the freaking place was packed. Nice to see that many people actually care about football in the area. I ran into a lot of guys there and I'd say it was about 50/50 of people that had a clue to people that played in rec ball for their local parks and rec program. The only thing that really get's me pissed/feel embarrassed for them is the whole Elder thing they have going on, seems like a geeky frat to me.
All in all, I'm pretty excited for this weekend and to see how the whole season shakes out.

Yeah, I'll be in the city as well. My West Ham buddy wants to go down to the Linc. I may convince him to just go to the Dark Horse after my league game at 5pm.
That's the other part for me. Some of those geeky elders are a bunch of Rangers mugs as well and I have had some run ins with them at DH. Whatever, they aint going anywhere and neither am I. Plus, some 95% of the SOB lads that are clueless are only fans of the big 4 in England, and in recent years. You know that doesn't sit well with me at all.

I do have to say, the Union possibly took one good bit of advice from the SOB by having a pretty sweet jersey color scheme. Not the exact blue but the dark blue and gold are pretty dope.

Modified by JTiberiVR6 at 10:19 PM 4-5-2010

·
Registered
8,102 Posts

All I'm going to say is that I live practically walking distance from Red Bulls stadium and when there is a home game it is a nightmare in terms of traffic. Couple it with an event/game at the Prudential Center in Newark (NJ Devils) and the nightmare of traffic grows exponentially.
Can't wait to catch a game in Harrison at NYRB new home.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Joe Delaware »
JTiberiVR6 did you watch the Union vs. United game on Saturday? What did you think?

My quick take since it's late: They played pretty good football but are still prone to the stupid mistakes/lapses which created the goals for United. All in all, I thought it was a big improvement from the first game against Seattle with some good offensive finishes.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Just bought tickets to watch Manchester United play Philadelphia Union July 21st, taking my little brother as a birthday present. First time going to an MLS game, should be a good time.

·
Registered
14,093 Posts
i just realized dc united signed pena in march. dude is a bolivian icon and has played in spain for 14 years of his career. cant wait to see what he does the rest of the season. :)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
BUMP FOR 2011 SEASON!

Sounders first regular season game in a week! Can't wait!!! I dont live in Seattle anymore but I went to a few games a qwest while I did, and now Im Sounders til I die! SCARVES UP! I think Zakuani is gonna have a huge year for us :):thumbup:

41 - 60 of 94 Posts