VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33,982 Posts
Re: The New GLI: What happens to the VR6 (snowdog650)

The VR6 will still be available as the GLX (auto only http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif ), I hope VW cleans up its act and releases stick shift VR6s when the mk5s come around, I dont want to move away from the Jetta body and/or VW brand.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Re: The New GLI: What happens to the VR6 (ROCKnRLR)

Someone had posted elsewhere that with the introduction of the 2.0T, VW had a good number of 1.8T engines they needed to get rid of. With the intro of the Mk V elsewhere, the only 1.8T market will be North America, so NorAm is the only place to get rid of the existing 1.8T engines. NorAm will also be the only market for 2.8VR6, because it looks like the 3.2VR6 will be taking its place everywhere but NorAm. But, there aren't many 2.8VR6's left. So VW will reduce the number of NorAm VR6 models and increase the number of 1.8T models to get rid of their existing engine inventory.
I don't know if this is true or not. But, it makes sense.

·
Registered
33,982 Posts
Re: The New GLI: What happens to the VR6 (dmkozak)

The 24V 3.2L VR6 will be the top off the line engine for the Mk5. However, we are at least a year away from the intro (sucks to be in the US), so we will have another year with 24V VR^s in the dealers.
The 1.8T will be phased out WORLDWIDE. The base engine for the Mk5 in the NA market will be the 2.0L 16V (135HP), middle tier would be the same 2.0L but turbo (16V instaed of 20V), and the top of the line powerplant will be the 3.2L VR6. Treehuggers will get a 2.0L TDI and with new EPA norms, better gas will be introduced, so Pump Deuse engines will eventually here too.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Re: The New GLI: What happens to the VR6 (salsanacho)

247BHP ish, as in R32
Quote, originally posted by salsanacho »
I know this is in the wrong forum but anybody know the HP for the new 3.2L VR6?

·
Registered
33,982 Posts
Re: The New GLI: What happens to the VR6 (Mikedav)

depends on the engine/tuning. the R32 is rated at 237HP, the TT V6 is rated at 250HP. I think the R32 in Europe is rated at 241PS.

Modified by ROCKnRLR at 10:58 AM 12-17-2003

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Are you sure about this, RocknRlr? I was under the impression that GLX trim has been eliminated for the Jetta. As to re-releasing the VR6 in the GLI come summertime 2004 after selling the same nameplate with a different engine...that sounds just plain wacky (of course, this is VoA we're talking about here).
I'm getting the impression that there's lots of mis-information floating about at the moment as to what Volkswagen of America's plans are for the VR6 based Jetta. Oh well.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts

the GLX didnt sell because it cost $27,000 + and for less than that you could get a Passat V6

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Re: The New GLI: What happens to the VR6 (ShockWaveVT)

Not to disagree as to why the GLX didn't sell, but the past may not be relevant to the future here. The GLX may have been pulled because VW is no longer building 2.8 liter 24 valve VR6 engines. And, they may want to use the ones they do have left in the 2004 GTI. Once those engines are gone, there may not be any more VR6 dubs until the Mk. V's with the 3.2 engines are available.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Re: The New GLI: What happens to the VR6 (dmkozak)

If the 24V Vr6 isn't being offered in the 04 Jetta GLI until late summer, why is there one on my local dealers lot with it? They have a red 04 GLI with a VR6. And on the VW website, it's the only way you can build one. They only let you get the VR6 with it on the website. I just placed an order for an 04 GLI Platinum Gray with a VR6 on Saturday and it should be here shortly.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ROCKnRLR »
The base engine for the Mk5 in the NA market will be the 2.0L 16V (135HP)

You sure about this? All other info I've read on the Vortex and in other automotive publications say it'll be a 150hp 20v inline-5.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Re: (Alienex)

The GLI as we know it know will be replaced in March with the "New GLI" Which is basically a 20th AE with a Trunk.
The GLX Was discontinued at the end of the 2003 model year, because simply enough neither the GLX nor the GLI Were big sellers.
The MKV Jetta and GTI will offer the 3.2Liter VR6, but according to Jamie and everyone at VW I have talked to, not until 2-3 years into the life cycle.
That puts the VR6 out of US hands in a Jetta for about 4 years.
At least you can still get it in a MKIV GTI

·
Registered
624 Posts
Re: (Alienex)

Quote, originally posted by Alienex »
guess thats a smart move in the future cause then they can reintroduce the VR6 and it will be a big seller, interesting.

No, it is an incredibly stupid move.
Anyone with a VR6 Jetta coming off lease or looking to trade in over the next 3 or 4 hoping to replace it with another compact, 6 cylinder sedan will have to shop elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.