Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 1083 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
might be jumping ship into an avant

***** MODERATOR EDIT *****
Since the old one disapeared, this will now be the catch-all bin for posts asking if the a4 (b5) forum thinks prior to buying a car.
So, if you posted a thread that starts something like:
- I need your opinion on this car...
- Is this a good car to buy...
- If I buy this car what will go wrong...
- Do you think that this car...
- Should I get rid of this car...
- tell me about...
or some other generic "before I buy"/"before I get rid of" type question that none of us can really answer without seeing the car or could have been answered using the search and you can't find it chances are it ended up here.
Good luck in your search, and happy b5-ing.
so i think im gonna have to retire my mk3 and have been searching around for something newer. i came across a 2001 2.8l auto quattro avant for $12.9. it has 48000 miles on it and seems to be in mint condition. as a vw guy i have no idea what this car is worth. can anybody shed some light on if this car is worth the price or not. i would really like to get my hands on a 5spd 1.8t but i havent been fortunate in my journey. any insight is greatly appreciated.

Modified by robbyb413 at 8:31 AM 8/15/2007

·
17,317 Posts
The NEW should I buy/is this worth it/what to watch out for/etc catch-all thread

Since the old one disapeared, this will now be the catch-all bin for posts asking if the a4 (b5) forum thinks prior to buying a car.
So, if you posted a thread that starts something like:
- I need your opinion on this car...
- Is this a good car to buy...
- If I buy this car what will go wrong...
- Do you think that this car...
or some other generic "before I buy" type question that none of us can really answer without seeing the car or could have been answered using the search and you can't find it chances are it ended up here.
Good luck in your search, and happy b5-ing.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: The NEW should I buy/is this worth it/what to watch out for/etc catch-all thread (robbyb413)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
get a 1.8t if you plan to do performance modifcations. although the 2.8 has more hp stock, there isnt too much you can do to modify it performance wise(until you get into the big $$ and supercharge it)
12.5k for a 48000 mile a4 avant isnt too bad. maybe try to gring the price down a little bit.
things to watch out for: timing belt will need to be done in about 10k miles.
people will tell you that tiptronic(auto) sucks, but it is really not that bad. there are times that i wish i had a stick, and times im glad i dont. all in all, if i had thought about it more, i probably would have gone with stick, but since i didnt im still happy with tiptronic.
if you dont mind looking around/waiting you might be able to find an equally good (or better) deal on a 1.8t with manual since it seems that is what you really want. that way you will be happier overall.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Whats gunna go wrong???

So i'm a vw owner but i've looking for some audi's, I've convinced myself that i need something with awd and this is pretty much fits that criteria perfect....That and i cant afford an r32
More specifically the cars i'm looking at are 2000's/2001's 1 owner cars, and all have around 60/80k on them
My question is what are the first major repairs on both 1.8ts and the 6?
For example my stereotypical mk3 jetta had to replace coilpack, fuel pump, and of course 3 out of 4 window regulators just like every other mk3 jetta
Help and comments appreciated http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
129 Posts
Re: Whats gunna go wrong??? (DumpthaVR)

Timing belt every 60k (or 70-80k if you're risky) [1.8t]
I think those models had coil pack problems with them blowing out, it may have been pre 98 though. [1.8t]
CV boots tearing
vac lines crumbling
control arms + tie rod ends around 100k
ABS control module goes, $50-250 to get fixed
the screen between the tach and speedo fades and gets bad lines in it, $1200 to fix, most don't fix it
Cruise control stops working, either due to dirty contacts or a worn out stalk.
Thats all I can think of right now.

Modified by kyle h at 5:49 PM 6-21-2007

·
Registered
101 Posts

hi, im new to the VW/Audi comm. and i am buying a '00 a4 1.8tqms , with 65k mi. on it.
is there anything i should really watch out for?
so far i love the car, it 10x faster than my current '95 Subaru legacy 2.2. and since i am sinking 10g's into this audi i am kind of weary of the repair costs.

thoughts, concerns?
thanks

Modified by devmaster at 9:07 AM 6-27-2007

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Re: New Member (devmaster)

Quote, originally posted by devmaster »
thanks

yup welcome to the forum and good luck with your purchase http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
368 Posts
Re: Considering my first A4...I know you guys know! (Mr.BBS)

It all depends on what you want to use the car for and how much modification you want to do.
I went with the 1.8t because of the easy power gains from ECU upgrades and the potential for more power with relativly simple turbo upgrades.
I would check out the technical fourums about the V6... as far as i know, they are reliable, but you have limited options for modifications.
If you just want to use the car to move you and some stuff around, it a good choice. I've had my car since new in late 99 and still love it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A4 Buyers Guide

Hi there,
New to the forums and am just wondering if anyone knows where I can find a reputable buyers guide for A4's so I know what to look for when I go check out an Audi I'm looking at.
Thanks,
mike

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
About to purchase a '96 A4....how to fix noted problems?

Well I found a good deal on a '96 A4. It's not Quattro, nor is it a 5 speed but I like it and it'll do as my daily driver/winter car as my '80 Scirocco is my summer car. One problem he said was that the climate control lcd screens flicker randomly from time to time. Is this an easy/cheap fix or would I be better off dealing with it? Also, he said when you take off really really slow there is a very slight jerk when the car engages from 1st to 2nd, but when acceleration is normal it's not there. Is this due to low fluid levels? In my V8Q, there was a tranny fluid dipstick where I could check the level and add fluid if needed. is there something similar on the 2.8 V6? The check engine light is also on due to it needing an O2 Sensor. This is an easy fix, as I've replaced multiple on my V8Q, however I've heard the A4 2.6L needs two?
Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
so im trying to buy an a4

so my heart is set on getting this 2000 a4 1.8tq. but my brother keeps talking about problems the car will have. his friend recently had a 2003 a4 and everything just kept breaking. it was funny sometimes, but frustrating most of the time. because of the experience his friend had, he is seriously advocating to not get an a4.
my brother and i are pretty close, and i usually take his advice on things like this. but is there anything i can say to change his mind? or is he right? i know all cars break, but does the a4 break more than most cars? thanks a lot for your help in advance guys

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Re: so im trying to buy an a4 (dingguhlbary)

There isn't any car on the road that is less likely to break then another. It all depends on the previous owner and how it was looked after. Things are going to break no matter what and more expensive cars take the wrap because the parts cost more.
I think i speak for everyone here when i say that no matter what problems our B5's threw at us..we would just fix it and love the car even more. If not we would chuck it and get another.
The B5 is a great car...keep in mind the 03 is a B6. Get the car and love it

·
Registered
19,732 Posts
Re: (dingguhlbary)

Quote, originally posted by dingguhlbary »
wait, i thought the b5 ended in 2001? am i mistaken?

Your correct.
Production ran from 1996-2001.5

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Re: so im trying to buy an a4 (zombieattack)

Quote, originally posted by dingguhlbary »
wait, i thought the b5 ended in 2001? am i mistaken?

I was referring to your brothers friend. He drove a B6

1 - 20 of 1083 Posts