VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
101 - 120 of 1153 Posts

· Registered
782 Posts
Re: (540BOY)

Another somewhat "serious" question:
What is the reasoning behind theming them with product logos? I am sure no one gets paid to do it, so I imagine it is just something so they can have a theme to build on. Is there anything more to it than that?
Also, try to post up the "craziest"/wierdest themed cars you can it you have 'em.

· Registered
6 Posts
Re: The NO B1TCHING Donk/Box/Bubble thread (lolitzbilly)

Quote, originally posted by lolitzbilly »
I'm with this guy. This thread is alot more informative and civil than the last thread and these two guys chipping in with some real information is awesome.
I do have a question though. Some of these things are just ridiculously high. So how do you really get into one. Do you just have to jump and crawlin or what?
It's a stupid question but I've been curious.

I dont know if all the cars have them but some cars have a step that come down.
Like that galaxie

Modified by bat94chevy at 1:33 PM 12-28-2006

· Registered
36 Posts
Re: (Adam777)

Quote, originally posted by Adam777 »
Another somewhat "serious" question:
What is the reasoning behind theming them with product logos? I am sure no one gets paid to do it, so I imagine it is just something so they can have a theme to build on. Is there anything more to it than that?
Also, try to post up the "craziest"/wierdest themed cars you can it you have 'em.

Something like that...its like a fad...u know how those catch on. I suspect that some guy said "i want to be original" and he did a theme....some others saw it and copied....and it spread like wild fire.....

· Registered
782 Posts
Re: (540BOY)

Quote, originally posted by 540BOY »

Something like that...its like a fad...u know how those catch on. I suspect that some guy said "i want to be original" and he did a theme....some others saw it and copied....and it spread like wild fire.....

Got it. So it is just like the Mk IV forums.

Modified by Adam777 at 1:38 PM 12-28-2006

· Registered
35 Posts
Re: (Nourdmrolnmt)

Quote, originally posted by Nourdmrolnmt »
Do any of these cars have a 1.8T in them? because then they would never lose... even though they would probably never move.
Good one...

I figured they had to have somthing, but by the looks of some of the cars it did look like you had to try your luck jumping. Thanks for the responses.

· Registered
6,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
As the creator of this thread, I'd like to thank Spade and 540 for coming in and throwing down some actual knowledge while the rest of us were merely speculating. I'm also glad you guys brought some new pictures of some SERIOUSLY impressive rides.
To the gurus, a lot of us here have been wondering what these hi-riders do to improve braking and handling. Having driven a lot of lifted trucks with big tall tires, I know for a fact that it puts a lot of stress on the braking system; I can imagine the same is true for big sedans on big wheels. Do these guys generally upgrade the brakes and steering systems to handle the added mass?
I've also heard that the box-style Chevy's can be lifted using parts from 1/2 ton Chevy trucks and vans from the same era. Is this true?

· Registered
29 Posts
Re: (Wellington P Funk)

Quote, originally posted by Wellington P Funk »
As the creator of this thread, I'd like to thank Spade and 540 for coming in and throwing down some actual knowledge while the rest of us were merely speculating. I'm also glad you guys brought some new pictures of some SERIOUSLY impressive rides.
To the gurus, a lot of us here have been wondering what these hi-riders do to improve braking and handling. Having driven a lot of lifted trucks with big tall tires, I know for a fact that it puts a lot of stress on the braking system; I can imagine the same is true for big sedans on big wheels. Do these guys generally upgrade the brakes and steering systems to handle the added mass?
I've also heard that the box-style Chevy's can be lifted using parts from 1/2 ton Chevy trucks and vans from the same era. Is this true?

alot change over to truck parts.... cutlass/montes/regals can use s-10 4x4 parts and full size use truck parts then you get big break kits for those models...

· Registered
3,022 Posts
Re: (Golfme)

Great to finally get some info on these types of cars. I will admit, I do not like them, but do respect them and the work that went into them.
Question for SPADEKREATIONS/540BOY, do people usually upgrade the brakes after on these? I mean a 1970's brake system was not designed to stop a 30" wheel
How about the engine?
Also give me some idea on prices when it comes to doing this, like to fit a 30" wheel what needs to be done on a old caprice? (something like that).

· Registered
26,635 Posts
Re: (xmaciek82x)

That's my question too--do these things just use some kind of truck suspension and lift kits? They look to still be 2WD--what do they have to do to get the suspension to articulate that far?
I'd also be interested to see how they manage to stop those monster wheels/tires. Those things must weigh 150-200lbs/corner...
I don't think they'd be road legal in OR/WA, either, as they wouldn't meet bumper height ordinances.
Like most show cars, very impressive in terms of the craftsmanship. Not my thing at all, but I respect the work.

· Registered
36 Posts
Re: (Sortafast)

To attempt to answer some of these questions:

Yes brake upgrades are desired in these types of cars, thought, unfortunatley they are overlooked. Brake upgrades range from switching to stainless brake lines, to installing aftermaket disk brake conversions to full on big brake upgrades....i

And Yes, alot of these cars use truck suspension parts... For example, people will take springs from a larger truck to lift a car. As spade said, u can even use a blazer suspension to lift a g-body car....

Plus things such as extended trailing- and a-arms are necessary for proper alignment....

101 - 120 of 1153 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.