VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 736 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the nOOb's project Turbo VR...updated Dec 2, 2007

DUE TO THE LENGTH AND COMPLEXITY OF THIS THREAD I HAVE CREATED A INDEX OF THE PAGE NUMBERS WHERE YOU CAN FIND THINGS EASILY
INDEX
Introduction to the Project - page 1
Ready Engine to be Pulled - page 1
Engine Pulled from car - page 1
Disassembly of Transmission - page 2
Motor Mount Install - page 2
Timing Chain Diassembly - page 2
Head Cleanip - page 3
Head Spacer and Head Bolt Install - page 3
Timing Chain Install - page 3
Engine and Parts Cleanup - page 4
Turbo Parts Layout - page 4/5
MAF Install - page 5
Thermostat Housing Fixup - page 5
Turbo Disassembley for Ceramic Coating - page 5
Turbo Reassembly - page 6
Oil pan install - page 6
Clutch & Flywheel Install - page 6
Turbo Parts installed to Engine - pag 6
Installation of Waterpump - page 6
Install Transmission - page 6
Gap Spark Plugs - page 6
Reinstall Engine page 6
Install Axles - page 9
Install cooling system - page 9
Remove Stock Oil Cooler - page 9
Install Oil Cooler Plate/Fitings - page 10
install frost plug - page 10
Manifold Fitting - page 10
Fuel Rail Modification - page 10
Turbo Oil Fittings - page 11
Vaccum and Wiring - page 11
Injectors, Fuel Rail, ECU Install - page 11
Phelonic Spacer, Manifold - page 11
Rad & A/C install - page 11
Front end back on - page 11
Rolling on wheels - page 12/13
Intercooler Install - page 12/13
Electronic Boost Controller Install - page 14
Intercooler Shots - page 14
Oil Cooler installed - page 14
Catch Can - page 14
Dump Vaccum Plumbing - page 15
TroubleShooting a few issues at idle - Page 16
Waxing and Polishing - Page 18
Completed Shots - Page 18
*will update as more is added
**these are only the major things covered on each page
Introduction
The car is about to go into hiding again for the winter but come spring '08 papa smurf is gonna have a few little additions.
Huge thanks to clay again for his services, i am forever in debt. I'll bring ya some more goose next time i see you.

The goal: 300whp Smurf by April 1, 2008
The plans:
-T3/T4 Turbo
-Kinetic Motorsport VR6 Manifold
-TiAL 38mm Wastegate
-3" Downpipe
-Braided Oil Lines and Oil Pan with fittings
-Kinetic Motorsport Silicone Hoses and Stainless Steel Clamps
-9.0:1 Stainless Steel Head Spacer
-42# Bosch Fuel Injectors
-C2 Motorsports 42# Software
-Walbro inline fuel pump
-22"x10"x2.3" Garret Intercooler painted with high temp black paint for stealth look and heat disapation
-custom intercooler piping by TuneDUB
-Peloquin LSD
-longer 5th gear (.717 TDi 5th) which will allow for better mileage on the highway as well as increased top speed
-lightend flywheel
-ACT VR1-HDMM High HP clutch & heavy duty pressure plate
-keeping 2.5" exhaust and installing a boost actuated dump that can be turned on and off
-full timing chain replacement
-rear main seal replacement
-MMP Phelonic Spacer
-ARP headstuds
-HGP/HPA Short Runner Intake manifold (uber rare)
-stage 1 BFI motor mounts
-stage 1 BFI tranny mount
-Audi TT 12.3" brakes with cross drilled and slotted Brembo rotos and high performance pads w/ braided lines
- deleting secondary air injection
- Greddy Profec B Spec II electronic Boost controller
- boost & EGT gauges
-upgraded mk4 waterpump with metal impellers
-ceramic coating turbo & exhaust manifold
-mk4 fuel rail (polished)
-billet MasonTech waterpipe (crackpipe)
-new serpentine belt
-new low temp thermostat, and thermostat housing
-relayed headlights
-new ecode projector headlights
-new Hella Foglights
-upgraded external oil cooler w/ the following:
-Mocal thermostatically controlled sandwich plate with vr6 specific top cap
-BSP to -AN unions with stat o seals
-Mocal/aeroquip black/titanium colored hose ends
-Stainless Steel socketless hoses and fittings
-Mocal 235 matrix 16 row cooler.
I'm going to be doing most of the work myself, and will be bribing others with beer, pizza, and sexual favors for help.
ALREADY DONE TO THE CAR:
- KW Coilovers
- Neuspeed Front and Rear Swaybars
- OMP Upper Front Strut Brace
- 11.3" Brakes with PBR Metalmaster Pads and Brembo Rotors
- 8.5" Fronts and 9" Rears Brock B2 Rims
- Kumho 712 Tires; 205F, 215R
- 2.5" Brospeed Catback Exhaust
and some other goodies....

The lucky candidate:

The toys:

Will add more as work begins and progress is made.

THE FINISHED PRODUCT

Modified by nOOb at 8:00 AM 5-12-2008

Modified by nOOb at 5:35 PM 5-13-2008

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: the nOOb's project Turbo VR...updated regulary (nOOb)

December 2nd 2007:
So today Graeme came over and gave me a hand as we began the first stages of this project. HUGE thanks for the help dude, turns out you taking apart your car once a month does come in handy when others need help haha.
Weather outside was horrible, they were saying -20, -27 with the windchill, but inside the heated garage it was a balmy +20.
First was removing the lights and grille, then the bumper. This gave me a chance to do some measurements for how I am going to run my FMIC. I would like to keep my A/C, and surprisingly my north american bumpers. A) I do a lot of highway driving so having A/C is HUGE cause there is nothing worse than cruising at speed with the windows down not able to hear a thing. B) the NA bumpers will hopefully allow me to run a larger IC without hacking the bumper to bits and keeping the stealty look I am going for.
As you can see however with the A/C condenser the space is limited down in the front. i was hoping to run a 2 1/4" thick IC that was fairly wide and fairly tall (24"x9") to get the maximum cooling possible. There doesn't look to be a whole lot of room and the rebar may need to get hacked slightly and some extra bits welded on to get things to fit. If anyone has some ideas I would love to hear them.

Next came undoing the A/C condenser, let it hang like this for a little while before discharging the system:

Next up came taking apart the intake and MAF. I had a K&N filter on there before, so it was a quick thing to pull, couple of clamps for the tubing to and from the MAF and a few bolts holding the bracket on. Holy crap these cars have a lot of emissions garbage, I didn't realize how much of the stuff in this area was emissions related.

Then using a expensive professional purging system we discharged the A/C refrigerant being sure not to let any escape as it would cause our world to warm up, and on a day as warm as it was today who would want to do that?
:rofl:

15 minutes later and the garage a little cooler we were back to work pulling all of the A/C related bits and pieces off of the front end of the car.

Next was on to pulling the spark plugs, coilpack and throttle body.

Then pulled the top half of the intake manifold, stuffed some paper towel in the runners to avoid dirt and dust getting into the engine.

From there we moved on to pulling the exhaust manifold and headers. I just want to go on the record for saying whoever decided to run 12mm bolts on the header section that attaches to the cat and only use 3 so that you have 2 on the bottom and 1 on the top should be shot. It is so bloody hard to get that top bolt. Used the butane torch to heat one up and the other two was brute strength.

The pile of parts on the garage floor slowly began to grow.

At this point we drained the engine oil, coolant (rad, block, lines) and the power steering.

Once this was done we pulled the radiator and gained a lot more room to work.

I also discovered at this time it seems I have had a small but massive coolant leak somewhere around the thermostat housing. This is weird because i did replace the Tstat housing 2 summers ago. I cant exactly tell where the leak is coming from. There is just a lot of dried up G12 everywhere. I can't tell whether the seal with the block was crap, it was leaking from the yellow sensor, or between the two halfs of the housing itself. Looks like someone with ebola threw up on my block however.

The elusive VR6 "crack pipe" for those that have never seen it before and wonder what it actually is.

Now we pulled the [email protected] secondary "CEL" air injection pump that seems to go on every other Mk3 built. While removing we cracked the brittle hosing as you can see in the pics. Anyone have an extra hose I can have?

We now began work on the mystery piece. We have no idea what this actually does, if someone knows please tell me, it has coolant going in and out of it and is located as you can see on the drivers side of the engine just behind the coilpack. It has the round silver top you can see in this picture and looks like a canister of some kind.

From this point we began moving all kinds of lines from the area located around the battery. Shifter linkage, hydraulic clutch lines, battery tray that houses my mini MMP Deka battery, etc. This began to clear out the area quite rapidly.

You can see in this all the dried up G12 I scraped off of the side of the blocl and all of the space that we now have free.

We then finished pulling the header and disconnected the O2 sensor.

We got anxious so we test fit the new part in the old ones place just so it looked like we made forward progress

Started to wrap up the afternoon, pulled the rain tray to gain access to where we will put the new stage 3 C2 software eventually.

Then did some measuring and thinking of how I can get rid of this piece of crap

I would like it to eventually look something like this:

That was it for the day. All that is left now is to unbolt the axles and the mounts and pull the engine. We would have done this but are waiting on the lift so it will have to wait for another day.

Good thing for those doing projects like this to organize and label everything. We have been bagging and tagging every bolt we remove so we know where it goes back together, also been labelling all the small random pieces because as the old title said, "weight saving" wasn't the goal of this project.

More to come.....

·
Registered
554 Posts
Tstat seal GONE! think about getting a metal crack pipe, and a new water pump while you are in there like that! your kits makin me jealous

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Re: the nOOb's project Turbo VR...updated Dec 2, 2007 (Toiletcar)

Your "mystery" part is an after-run coolant pump. electric pump that circulates the coolant after you turn the motor off and walk away. If the car is hot enough it will kick the fans on to help aid the cooling prosses. I think its a good idea, but the little pumps can be a pain if they fail. They cost a good penny to replace. some people remove them, I would never take mine Off I'm sure it helps lengthen the life of the motor.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Re: the nOOb's project Turbo VR...updated Dec 2, 2007 (nOOb)

nice project, wish i had the money to do the same thing. good luck.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Re: the nOOb's project Turbo VR...updated Dec 2, 2007 (nOOb)

so the title says that this is updated regulary
....lookin good though http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Re: (RipCity Euros)

Looks good, looks like my shop about 3-4 months ago when I had all sorts of engine parts scattered everywhere

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Re: (KubotaPowered)

i cant wait to do mine. i wanna do it myself, but i think im taking a job out of state for the winter so if i choose to have it done soon, ill drop it off at my mechanic and pick it up when i get home

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: the nOOb's project Turbo VR...updated Dec 2, 2007 (vwjetta13)

Quote, originally posted by vwjetta13 »
so the title says that this is updated regulary
....lookin good though http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

i tired fixing it after posting but I can't see to change the title that appears in the forum

thats what i get i guess.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (KubotaPowered)

Quote, originally posted by KubotaPowered »
Looks good, looks like my shop about 3-4 months ago when I had all sorts of engine parts scattered everywhere

I am trying to be as neat as possible to try and avoid the dreaded "where does this go" or "where did we put that?" that always seems to occur on projects of this magnitude

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Re: (RipCity Euros)

Keep the pics comming. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Cant wait to see it done and have a huge VR6T gathering in Van next year:grinsanta:

Quote, originally posted by RipCity Euros »
Will you be using an electronic dump tube like the one in the picture?

The one in that pic is vacuum actuated

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Re: (nOOb)

Quote, originally posted by nOOb »

I am trying to be as neat as possible to try and avoid the dreaded "where does this go" or "where did we put that?" that always seems to occur on projects of this magnitude

Trust me it makes things so much easier! I tore mine apart starting in april and it wasnt back in the car and running until august because I wasnt going to take it to this level until the head came off then the pistons and rods were ordered then the block went to the machine shop, they took their sweet time, etc. Good luck with the build, theres a lot of knowledge here, if you run into any problems post up http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Re: (nOOb)

If your going to reinstall the 2ndary air pump, Autozone has a rubber hose in its iventory that is the EXACT size/shape of the plastic one that breaks......$6.50... I'll look for the reciept...
If your using the Kinetic/C2 chip you can delete it though.........

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (AlexiGTIVR6)

Quote, originally posted by AlexiGTIVR6 »

The one in that pic is vacuum actuated

how would you know? did you build it or something

Thanks lex I appreciate all the help so far. All we need is tang to get another VR and turbo it and it can be like 2004 all over again....but faster.

1 - 20 of 736 Posts