VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1226 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Welcome all Callaway Turbo Enthusiasts. :wave:

I will kickoff first post in a topic that should have been started a decade ago.
This topic is to gather owners and information about this very special Turbocharged cars.
I tried with a dedicated forum few years ago but crashed harddrive and after the merge with another forum the owner stayed away.

Please subscribe this topic , and dig up all information and pictures you have on Callaway Cars and Parts all Volkswagen and for my care also the Audis, Porsches , Mercedes and other oldies. Since the Rabbit Gti Callaway Turbo is the most common some guys and me decided to put landing here.

This is my cabriolet with Callaway Turbosystems engine.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-5v2FiDNQKJM/VAylYJQ23bI/AAAAAAAAAas/Tu****G5EbA/w412-h551-no/foto27.JPG

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Some of my parts just dying to be installed! :peace:

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
My 1983 Rabbit GTI running stage 1.

Custom header pipe (down pipe) made out of stainless.

The other car (1984 GTI) that I sold is below. I did a few dyno runs a year ago before retiring the set up and selling the car earlier this year. When I removed the kit, I found a torn silicone coupler going to the turbo. Hmmmm.

Don't get excited on the HP. All numbers were high that morning.

·
Registered
754 Posts
2.0 Callaway Turbo Stalling

I have an 83 Rabbit with a 2.0l Callaway Turbo that stalls when shifting say from 4th to 3rd or 2nd gear.It's like the Engine is flow starved. Is there something that can be added to the Turbo System to prevent this.Popping the clutch for restart isn't the option.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Good to see a dedicated thread. Here's my 84 stage 2 which is slowly getting refreshed for service and drives well. I'll have some questions for the group soon about how some things work and tuning

·
Registered
12,015 Posts
I had a Callaway system in a rabbit about 15 years ago. Was fun and I probably have pics somewhere. Sold the kit to a guy in Las Vegas i believe.
I had a spare Callaway boost gauge that i also sold then too. That gauge now lives in the Screaming Yellow Zonker car.
All i have now is a Callaway mini Maglite in my toolbox.
Any of you Callaway goofballs wanna buy it? :laugh:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a Callaway system in a rabbit about 15 years ago. Was fun and I probably have pics somewhere. Sold the kit to a guy in Las Vegas i believe.
I had a spare Callaway boost gauge that i also sold then too. That gauge now lives in the Screaming Yellow Zonker car.
All i have now is a Callaway mini Maglite in my toolbox.
Any of you Callaway goofballs wanna buy it? :laugh:

Great stuff , throw me an asking price please.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any of you guys with the Rotomaster T04b have a restrictor in use ?
And did you guys take oil supply from oil filter housing front of engine
or at side of the head.

·
Registered
22,660 Posts
My favorite story was a couple of years ago, they had a "Callaway Reunion" in Old Lyme, and a guy went up with his "factory" Callaway car, and was being turned away at the gate when Reeves or someone that had worked there for a long time told the gate guy, that in fact, Callaway did build VW's. There was no mention of it in any of the literature or any inkling at Callaway headquarters.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My favorite story was a couple of years ago, they had a "Callaway Reunion" in Old Lyme, and a guy went up with his "factory" Callaway car, and was being turned away at the gate when Reeves or someone that had worked there for a long time told the gate guy, that in fact, Callaway did build VW's. There was no mention of it in any of the literature or any inkling at Callaway headquarters.
That Rocco belongs to my friend John Kulp.
I never heard of that gate story and can hardly believe.

The story I do heard was that Reeves drove the car around the block that day and he signed the glove box door.

·
Banned
512 Posts
Callaway I.C. Tubing ( silicone )

The first article callaway a/c version silicone tubing made to 2' i.d. was shipped today

Gloss Black

The stock tubing was 1.87, the new 3 ply molded is 2' i.d.

no heat soak, more airflow, no wear, no vibration,less weight

Thanx for the forum post !

GB

:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Any of you guys with the Rotomaster T04b have a restrictor in use ?
And did you guys take oil supply from oil filter housing front of engine
or at side of the head.
Supply from the oil filter on my three instances. I used a restrictor on one. None on the other two.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
The first article callaway a/c version silicone tubing made to 2' i.d. was shipped today

Gloss Black

The stock tubing was 1.87, the new 3 ply molded is 2' i.d.

no heat soak, more airflow, no wear, no vibration,less weight

Thanx for the forum post !

GB

:thumbup:

Here is the first set mocked up... :laugh: :thumbup:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When international postage fees weren't crazy high I would send in mine.
Fact, just bought it in June and took till September to arrive , could have sent it directly to Gee-Bee
When I knew before.

1 - 20 of 1226 Posts