VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1141 - 1160 of 1226 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
turboaudi80 - is there anything in your manual that the scan from thegave doesn't have?

Hoffa - which thermostatic sandwich adapter is that?
It’s a Mocal Oil Cooler and sandwich adapter which I believe was part of a kit back in the day. The adapter will get sonic cleaned and the cooler will get replaced due to bearing contamination.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I think I posted previously but not sure where. Here’s mine close to mounted position...
View attachment 86667 View attachment 86668

Thank you that is a good shot. We are taking a factory G60 IC and mimicking the callaway AC IC. As there is no room for a front mount on the mk1 g60 without getting a smaller rad. Will for sure share in here if people want.

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
The non-AC setup is far more efficient though. But if you go A/C, then you can get the silicone boost pipes.
Yeah. I’m pretty limited at the moment though. Its a super tight squeeze with the radiator, oil cooler and intercooler as you can imagine.

I’m going to force it to work otherwise, but I wouldn’t mind having both. Not to mention the bell unit (if the do indeed make one) is likely more efficient than the original unit.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I added the scoop, turning vane, and mounts. I'm sure they could do that as well. Some time ago they asked if they could sell one to another customer, as apparently when you design an intercooler with them they treat is like proprietary property. I told them make as many as you want. The purchaser sent me the intercooler to put the bits on, but it did come with the core, tanks, and tube outlets.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
If you are going to copy the Callaway unit, I modified my rear bracket since I did not like where they had it. I cannot recall what I did not like, but the bracket was already cracked so why not make it better.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Provided that you shroud the intercooler inlet. With it stood off of the grill, like the non-A/C unit is, air is going to want to travel around it more so than through it.
Yes, optimizing engine bay airflow has been a major component of the latest round of tweaks. I now need to figure out how to make a divider between the intercooler and radiator/oil cooler.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
I can send you a picture, but it's at a clients house. I do not expect to see it for a few days. Lots of big jobs lately.

BTW, anyone that want's me to work on a 1980 240D clutch will have to wait till hell freezes over. I took on a 2 hour job to 'help' someone only to run out of time after the 8th hour. I told him I'm done working on it and will drive it anywhere and you owe nothing.

Anyone that has an old car should have lots of money or work on it themselves. Thinking that old is cheap is not a good way to start.

I do not know why I'm telling you here, I'm certain you all know that.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I can send you a picture, but it's at a clients house. I do not expect to see it for a few days. Lots of big jobs lately.

BTW, anyone that want's me to work on a 1980 240D clutch will have to wait till hell freezes over. I took on a 2 hour job to 'help' someone only to run out of time after the 8th hour. I told him I'm done working on it and will drive it anywhere and you owe nothing.

Anyone that has an old car should have lots of money or work on it themselves. Thinking that old is cheap is not a good way to start.

I do not know why I'm telling you here, I'm certain you all know that.
Don't stress it. We will figure out a way. Just trying to give the welder as much info as I can.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yes, optimizing engine bay airflow has been a major component of the latest round of tweaks. I now need to figure out how to make a divider between the intercooler and radiator/oil cooler.
Cardboard and sheet aluminum are your friends. :) And post photos!

Have you opened up the slats in the stock grill as well? (If you're still running it)

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Someone before me had, but I actually closed them off again to lower air pressure behind the grille and increase it in front. In other words, the grille opening only feeds the shrouding. Same thing with the smaller grilles below the bumper, I closed it off to decrease turbulence and pressure in the area in front of the intercooler, so the cavity fills from the air entering through the grille.

Pressure differential is what gets air moving.

1141 - 1160 of 1226 Posts