VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

4001 - 4008 of 4008 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
Sounds like I should get it up on Autotrader. I need to have it detailed first. I'll see to that this weekend...

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
Still haven't followed up on that, but just to completely change the subject: I'm trying to connect my phone to the USB port via an external DAC, to see what kind of improvement in sound I'll get vs my phone's DAC/Bluetooth. The car doesn't recognize anything plugged into the USB, though. I'm connecting the DAC to the car's USB port with a 3.5mm-to-USB cable. When using the external DAC, I play music with an app (USB Audio Player Pro) that bypasses the phone's internal DAC and sends out the music digitally through the USB port; see pic. I'm asking here because I'm pretty sure this is an issue with the car not being able to recognize the DAC plugged into it. Is this a fool's errand, or is there something else/some other adapter I should be using?
IMG_20210121_201000.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,829 Posts
I don't know specifically, but I would put good money on the car not knowing what the hell that is. MyLink in the SS is ancient.

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
I don't know specifically, but I would put good money on the car not knowing what the hell that is. MyLink in the SS is ancient.
:(

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Still haven't followed up on that, but just to completely change the subject: I'm trying to connect my phone to the USB port via an external DAC, to see what kind of improvement in sound I'll get vs my phone's DAC/Bluetooth. The car doesn't recognize anything plugged into the USB, though. I'm connecting the DAC to the car's USB port with a 3.5mm-to-USB cable. When using the external DAC, I play music with an app (USB Audio Player Pro) that bypasses the phone's internal DAC and sends out the music digitally through the USB port; see pic. I'm asking here because I'm pretty sure this is an issue with the car not being able to recognize the DAC plugged into it. Is this a fool's errand, or is there something else/some other adapter I should be using? View attachment 63806
I have a feeling you are trying to eat your cake, and have it too. Control the phone through the car, and use the external DAC. Which won’t be possible. A DAC is a digital to analog converter, and the usb input is a digital input. If the SS has an aux port, you can plug it into there. You will lose all the advantages of a digital signal, like play controls, album text, ect.

That being said, I doubt you would notice any improvement in sound quality, unless incidental due to gain matching. Cars are not kind to audio, with their high noise floor, poor speaker placement and the distraction of driving. The DAC built into the SS will be capable enough in my opinion. It may even be better than the one built into some android phones for headphone ports.

I strive for an impactful setup, rather than audiophile accurate. Which is a lot easier in a car. The small cabin volume means sub bass and bass are much easier to reproduce at impactful levels. I listen to music while driving to rock out, mostly.

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
I have a feeling you are trying to eat your cake, and have it too. Control the phone through the car, and use the external DAC. Which won’t be possible. A DAC is a digital to analog converter, and the usb input is a digital input. If the SS has an aux port, you can plug it into there. You will lose all the advantages of a digital signal, like play controls, album text, ect.

That being said, I doubt you would notice any improvement in sound quality, unless incidental due to gain matching. Cars are not kind to audio, with their high noise floor, poor speaker placement and the distraction of driving. The DAC built into the SS will be capable enough in my opinion. It may even be better than the one built into some android phones for headphone ports.

I strive for an impactful setup, rather than audiophile accurate. Which is a lot easier in a car. The small cabin volume means sub bass and bass are much easier to reproduce at impactful levels. I listen to music while driving to rock out, mostly.
Ah, I didn't think of it that way. I'd be fine controlling the music through the phone (without taking my eyes off the road, and ideally not touching the phone at all while driving). But it sounds like what I'd need for this is an auxiliary jack, which the SS doesn't have. I see your other points about the sound quality not being much better, but I'd still like to find out if I can. :) Not so sure if I can, though...

4001 - 4008 of 4008 Posts