VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

141 - 160 of 4008 Posts

·
Registered
80 MK1 TDI, BoltEV, G8GXP
7,433 Posts
Look at the big spender.

I might give the vinyl wrap on that trim a try to see how I like it first, dude with the silver turned out pretty well.
It was a weird group buy, think the total was like 380 for the set. YOLO and what have you.

I was going to do the vinyl until I realized I could probably sell the black trim for how ever much I want when GM stops making them....probably next week. :laugh:

·
Millennial
German crap
23,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
These cars are something else in person. So muscular :thumbup:
Amen.

I believe you had asked about fuel economy - I just took an 1100 mile trip last weekend in it. Climbing through the hills on I-70, I-68, and I-79 going out to Ohio, I returned about 22 for the entire trip. And was not exactly driving like gramps, either.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Amen.

I believe you had asked about fuel economy - I just took an 1100 mile trip last weekend in it. Climbing through the hills on I-70, I-68, and I-79 going out to Ohio, I returned about 22 for the entire trip. And was not exactly driving like gramps, either.
Good info, thanks.

·
Millennial
German crap
23,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Where did the info go about the various locales of the remaining 6spd cars? I'm having crap for luck locating used or new within a reasonable distance.
Either go to www.chevydealer.com and start searching zip codes, or register with SS forums (beware, that site has crazies on a vortex level) and PM MyronM - he's a dealer from Texas that does nationwide inventory searches for members.

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
19,860 Posts
First warranty repair visit scheduled. Something in the exhaust is rattling/resonating at 4K rpms.
Noise isn't the exhaust. Our resident LS tech says it's valvetrain noise, and it only happens without load, and it's normal. He road tested it with me, and when I isolated the sound and reproduced it, he said "yup, a certain number of LS's make that noise when you rev them unloaded at high RPM. Thankfully it's not a Vette, as those sound worse."

Guess that's that unless it gets louder.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Noise isn't the exhaust. Our resident LS tech says it's valvetrain noise, and it only happens without load, and it's normal. He road tested it with me, and when I isolated the sound and reproduced it, he said "yup, a certain number of LS's make that noise when you rev them unloaded at high RPM. Thankfully it's not a Vette, as those sound worse."

Guess that's that unless it gets louder.
Never say die, just do what the pros do and throw some of this at it until the b*tch quiets down!

:laugh:

·
Registered
15,666 Posts
I added some cornstarch to it to thicken it up. Should I have not done that?
I prefer kitty litter.

Chevy small blocks are notorious for the no-load tick. It's an oddball to not hear it on a higher-mileage motor. You can "cure" it with thicker oil sometimes but it doesn't seem to be an issue in my experience.

We have trucks(I know different motors) that catch the tick at 20-30 k and then work along for 200k without asking for more than fuel and oil changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
19,860 Posts
I prefer kitty litter.

Chevy small blocks are notorious for the no-load tick. It's an oddball to not hear it on a higher-mileage motor. You can "cure" it with thicker oil sometimes but it doesn't seem to be an issue in my experience.

We have trucks(I know different motors) that catch the tick at 20-30 k and then work along for 200k without asking for more than fuel and oil changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's my first LS, and the first I've heard of it. Came on suddenly too. Just one day, same commute, same downshift, and a little extra sound of coins rattling in a coke can at 4k. As long as it's not a *rev blam BLUEEEEE SMOKE" then I'm good with it. :laugh:

·
Millennial
German crap
23,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #156

·
Millennial
German crap
23,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
I saw a green one in Burke. Really interesting a pretty color. The guy could not drive manual. There was a lot of pause and then jerk between shifts.

Wish this was a wagon.
Wat? That's right next to me. Which green?

141 - 160 of 4008 Posts