VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

7681 - 7700 of 7857 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got my center cap stolen off my car the other day and I’m not sure what size cap to buy online to replace it. I have a 2014 Jetta se with connectivity and sunroof stock wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hey guys, started up my '13 GLI this morning and I had a steady Amber steering wheel warning light on the dashboard. I drove the car out and after about a block and a half the light went away. My car is getting up there in age and I'm all about preventative maintenance. Any ideas what I should be looking for or could it just be a fluke? Car drove fine on my commute and I turned it off and on and there was no light. Will scan with VCDS later to see if a code was stored.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey guys, started up my '13 GLI this morning and I had a steady Amber steering wheel warning light on the dashboard. I drove the car out and after about a block and a half the light went away. My car is getting up there in age and I'm all about preventative maintenance. Any ideas what I should be looking for or could it just be a fluke? Car drove fine on my commute and I turned it off and on and there was no light. Will scan with VCDS later to see if a code was stored.

Power Steering! But it could be anything related to that so use a VCDS and find out what it says.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

Power Steering! But it could be anything related to that so use a VCDS and find out what it says.

Even your battery could be low. Usually if you disconnect the battery the ABS, power steering, and TPMS lights all come on until you drive a short distance.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Even your battery could be low. Usually if you disconnect the battery the ABS, power steering, and TPMS lights all come on until you drive a short distance.
Didn't get a chance to scan yet. But I didn't do anything battery wise recently.

Im feeling a little paranoid now, but can anyone confirm if the steering wheel light come when the door opens up and closes? I can't remember if it was doing that all the time now, lol. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The Official Mk.VI Jetta "Ask a Stupid Question" Thread

Didn't get a chance to scan yet. But I didn't do anything battery wise recently.

Im feeling a little paranoid now, but can anyone confirm if the steering wheel light come when the door opens up and closes? I can't remember if it was doing that all the time now, lol. Thanks in advance.

Normal, whenever i go into my car with the key fob, the steering wheel “unlocks” and sounds like a screw driver for half a second and the yellow (or is it green) light come on for a quick second

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Feel like it's a super stupid question, but here it goes.

I just got my brake pads and rotors replaced. Spoke to a rep from ECS and he directed me to the exact pads and discs I needed for both front and rears. Gave him my VIN# and informed I had discs, not drums. Had them installed professionally without any issues, and it seems to be braking just fine.

Now my stupid question is... should I be able to see so much behind the discs? I don't remember being able to see my shocks and whatnot so clearly with my previous discs. Picture for reference. Now that I'm zooming in a bit... does the lip look a bit rusted and slightly even bent to anyone else or is it just me...?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
That "lip" you're seeing is the shield that sits behind the rotor.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Looking to replace my wheels, what is the weight of these? 2013 Jetta TDI
https://www.hubcaphaven.com/p/9552/aly69957-volkswagen-jetta-wheel-silver-painted-5c06010258z8.html

Looked around and thought I saw them called mambo as well? But I remember that name for a whole different wheel/generation
I'm assuming they are ball seat lugs too?

Had these before on my mk4 in 17
https://www.1010tires.com/Wheels/Enkei/EKM3/Painted/Hyper+Silver/

I'm thinking of going with these in 18s
https://www.1010tires.com/Wheels/Enkei/PHANTOM/Painted/Anthracite/?boltpatterns=5/112
Thoughts?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maintenance question. I drive a 2013 Jetta with a 2.5l, Canadian spec.

My manual says to do oil changes every 15,000 KM or 1 year. I followed those intervals and had all my oil changed at the dealership, and they never complained or said anything. The sticker that they print and stick to the windshield has the next interval marked at less than 15k, but I always assumed that that was their sneaky way of getting people to go earlier and spend more money.

I recently started dealing with an independent VW mechanic (highly recommended), and he recommends oil changes at every 8000 KM, even though he also said that the manual says otherwise. He says it is better for the long term health of the engine and doing it earlier will avoid problems down the road.

So what gives? Should I stick to whatever the manual says, or trust the mechanic and go with an earlier interval?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Maintenance question. I drive a 2013 Jetta with a 2.5l, Canadian spec.

My manual says to do oil changes every 15,000 KM or 1 year. I followed those intervals and had all my oil changed at the dealership, and they never complained or said anything. The sticker that they print and stick to the windshield has the next interval marked at less than 15k, but I always assumed that that was their sneaky way of getting people to go earlier and spend more money.

I recently started dealing with an independent VW mechanic (highly recommended), and he recommends oil changes at every 8000 KM, even though he also said that the manual says otherwise. He says it is better for the long term health of the engine and doing it earlier will avoid problems down the road.

So what gives? Should I stick to whatever the manual says, or trust the mechanic and go with an earlier interval?
imho if you are in warranty, stick to the recommended schedule. I assume vwoa would not fuss if you were to do them more often but likely would deny a claim if did them less.

Once out of warranty, let your judgement be your guide. There are probably going to be as many opinions as there are people responding.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Damn, somebody dinged my car in a parking lot . How do I fix it and how much would it cost to fix?

2016 VW Jetta SE 1.4TSi w/ Technology [MK6.5]

Sent from my iPhone 8 Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Damn sorry to see that. I would say pdr but it def looks down to the surface. It will be about $400 just paint but more like $750 if it has to be cut filled and or sanded. That is if it is fixed correctly.Now they could cut a hole, fill it sand it, blend the paint. However, I do not like this way. Finally you could look for a same year same color door. May actually be the cheapest. I know that wasnt direct and more just talking it over but maybe skme of the info will help. I can promise you I know how you feel and worse. This happened our first day in our parking lot.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Probably a stupid question - I'm thinking of getting the Neuspeed 70mm catback exhaust for my 2017 GLI. Is it possible to throw codes because of an aftermarket exhaust system? Everything else on the car is stock.
Not with just a catback. If you were stock and threw a downpipe on you'd probably get codes for the O2 sensors being rich but that's it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not with just a catback. If you were stock and threw a downpipe on you'd probably get codes for the O2 sensors being rich but that's it.
Awesome, I figured it would be fine with just the catback. I was only really able to find answers from those who already had a DP or did the install with a DP. Thanks for answering!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Stupid Question: I want my car a little louder, but not too pound. And I want to avoid a new exhaust system or straight pipe it. How should i go about it.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Stupid Question: I want my car a little louder, but not too pound. And I want to avoid a new exhaust system or straight pipe it. How should i go about it.

Remove one of the rear mufflers and replace with pipe or spend money on a catback.

7681 - 7700 of 7857 Posts