VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

7701 - 7720 of 7857 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Stupid Questions (mostly lazy to search answers):

1. What is the name of the Turbo on my 2014 Gen3 ea888 GLI?

2. All this time I thought mk6 gti/gli had same turbos and components until the 2019 GLI came out making it known the 2019 gti/gli are now identical.. which made me wonder what was different before. So, what are the differences? operation wise, not to include structures, hatch/sedan, doors, weight, etc.. just engine, turbo, compression...
If it is easier to answer we can only chat gen1, gen2 as i dont think mk6 gti has a gen 3, only mk7.

3. what's the difference in MK6 GLI Gen 2 vs Gen 3 engines?

·
Registered
512 Posts
suspension/wheel recommendations

Hey all, just picked up a 2014 SE w/ 1.8t TSI and I'm new to the platform. Thinking about lowering a little and upgrading the wheels. This is my kid hauler/grocery getter, and we get plenty of snow in the winter, so I'd like to mainly focus on having decent ride quality and performance, while looking a bit better than stock. Been thinking about installing the H&R touring cup kit that advertises a 1.3 inch drop, and maybe running the stock wheels in the winter with winter tires, and maybe some 17x8's in the summer.

Anyone know the tire size and ET recommended for a 17x8? Any wheel recommendations? Also, I read that the SE has the GLI suspension (not sure if true), which is lower than other models, so would the touring kit even make a noticeable drop, or should I go with the sport kit? Would the sport kit still be practical for Michigan winters, or is that gonna be too low?

BTW, I have a slammed MKIV that I white kuckle and avoid every bump and pothole with already. I do NOT want a second vehicle to do that with, but I'd still like the car to look good!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Stupid Questions (mostly lazy to search answers):

1. What is the name of the Turbo on my 2014 Gen3 ea888 GLI?
IS20 I believe

2. All this time I thought mk6 gti/gli had same turbos and components until the 2019 GLI came out making it known the 2019 gti/gli are now identical.. which made me wonder what was different before. So, what are the differences? operation wise, not to include structures, hatch/sedan, doors, weight, etc.. just engine, turbo, compression...
If it is easier to answer we can only chat gen1, gen2 as i dont think mk6 gti has a gen 3, only mk7.
They're identical now. They were not identical before. I don't know specifics.

3. what's the difference in MK6 GLI Gen 2 vs Gen 3 engines?
Minor things, but the major ones are different turbos, and the downpipe is a V-band clamp instead of four bolts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did anyone else have their timing chain break?

Purchased my 2013.5 GLI April 12th. Had a take home car from work for the first month I had the car so I barely drove it. Started as my daily driver on May 6th.

Wednesday I get in my car to go home from work and there it went. Car won’t start, making awful noises. I wait 3hrs for a tow truck and now the car has been sitting at the VW dealership for the past 2 days. They said it sounds like one of the piston heads is hitting one of the valves. FANTASTIC!!

Luckily the dealer I bought the car from offered a 12 month 12k mile warranty and I also purchased the extended 5 year 50k mile warranty. Good right? The extended warranty I purchased doesn’t go in to effect until 60 days after purchase, which is BS.

VW is covering 100% of the cost for the timing chain replacement but if there is any subsequent damage they only cover 60%. So hopefully the dealer i purchased the car from will pick up the other 40%.

What an aggravation!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2016 Jetta sport 1.8t gen3
It has a APR stage 2 tune
I am going to walk through hell replacing the diverter valve. The new one has different springs based on PSI. I don’t ever want to have to do this again so I’m asking, how much PSI would you think I’m running so I pick the best spring?

·
Registered
26 Posts
DSG

When backing out of the driveway or just backing up... Do I have to come to a complete stop before putting the shifter into "Drive"? The reason for my question is. I have put it into Drive while rolling very slowly backwards. Then letting car come to "almost a complete stop. (under 1mph) and applying the gas pedal to move forward. There is a small hesitation and then kind of a learching forward. Its not smooth.

If I let the car come to a complete stop and wait 1 second or so before applying to gas pedal, the movement forward is completely smooth.

Is all of this completely normal.

Have had an Audi DSG a few years ago and I don't remember having to pause before applying the gas pedal after going in reverse.

Thank you.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Did anyone else have their timing chain break?

Purchased my 2013.5 GLI April 12th. Had a take home car from work for the first month I had the car so I barely drove it. Started as my daily driver on May 6th.

Wednesday I get in my car to go home from work and there it went. Car won’t start, making awful noises. I wait 3hrs for a tow truck and now the car has been sitting at the VW dealership for the past 2 days. They said it sounds like one of the piston heads is hitting one of the valves. FANTASTIC!!

Luckily the dealer I bought the car from offered a 12 month 12k mile warranty and I also purchased the extended 5 year 50k mile warranty. Good right? The extended warranty I purchased doesn’t go in to effect until 60 days after purchase, which is BS.

VW is covering 100% of the cost for the timing chain replacement but if there is any subsequent damage they only cover 60%. So hopefully the dealer i purchased the car from will pick up the other 40%.

What an aggravation!!

Hmm.. I'm glad to hear they covered it 100%, as they should if you're car's vin# is a match to the timing chain litigation. Before I bought my GLI I was told many many times to get something else from VW because of the timing chain on the GLI. My friends 2012 GLI chain broke and did a huge amount of damage, it sounded awful. VW didn't cover it because he was tuned with no warranties left and cut his losses, unfortunately.. What mileage are you at? Lastly, I believe it depends on when the deal was finalized, but Volkswagen does a 60 day "error", "lemon", I'm not sure if this can apply to you, but If I was you i'd pull as many strings to avoid 40%. Hope this helps

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hmm.. I'm glad to hear they covered it 100%, as they should if you're car's vin# is a match to the timing chain litigation. Before I bought my GLI I was told many many times to get something else from VW because of the timing chain on the GLI. My friends 2012 GLI chain broke and did a huge amount of damage, it sounded awful. VW didn't cover it because he was tuned with no warranties left and cut his losses, unfortunately.. What mileage are you at? Lastly, I believe it depends on when the deal was finalized, but Volkswagen does a 60 day "error", "lemon", I'm not sure if this can apply to you, but If I was you i'd pull as many strings to avoid 40%. Hope this helps
Car is at 72k.

I did not purchase the car from a VW dealer. So from being on the phone with VW and the dealer I bought the car from it sounds like the warranty I have through the dealer I bought it from is going to cover any damage that happened from the timing chain breaking.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Car is at 72k.

I did not purchase the car from a VW dealer. So from being on the phone with VW and the dealer I bought the car from it sounds like the warranty I have through the dealer I bought it from is going to cover any damage that happened from the timing chain breaking.

Hey, that's better than nothing for sure. Shoot.. i'm at 71k now.

Best of luck with the repairs :beer:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Scheduled carbon cleaning on my car later this month, they will also clean the injectors and replace orings. I was wondering since I'm there should I have anything else checked out or replaced? My car is a gen 1 2013 GLI with APR stage 2 with all bolt ons except an upgraded intercooler. Planning on going Ko4 in the near future, car has 58k

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Probably a stupid question. I'm planning to replace front brake pads - 5C0698151A. If I place an order for 1 quantity as in ebay, am I going to receive a set for only one wheel? All listings I see on the ebay are showing 2 sets for about $50-60. I just want to make sure I'm not cheated by an online seller.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Probably a stupid question. I'm planning to replace front brake pads - 5C0698151A. If I place an order for 1 quantity as in ebay, am I going to receive a set for only one wheel? All listings I see on the ebay are showing 2 sets for about $50-60. I just want to make sure I'm not cheated by an online seller.
If you order a set of front brake pads you should receive four pads; two for each wheel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey,

may be a stupid question, but if I was to put coilovers on my car, say I have them lowered reasonably, if i was to put my kayaks on the roof and some camping stuff in the trunk, would it be too much weight to run on the lowered set-up?

Is it easy to just go get the suspension raised for those trips or can I just do it myself?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Hey,

may be a stupid question, but if I was to put coilovers on my car, say I have them lowered reasonably, if i was to put my kayaks on the roof and some camping stuff in the trunk, would it be too much weight to run on the lowered set-up?

Is it easy to just go get the suspension raised for those trips or can I just do it myself?
coilovers by definition are adjustable. maybe you need to do a little more research into them and how they work. depending on how low you want to go will help you in your selection of the appropriate coilover. In theory, you can just raise/lower them w/o too much trouble yourself; again, that is what you are buying with a coilover as opposed to std strut/shock/spring setup. or just bag it and let the air do the work :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
coilovers by definition are adjustable. maybe you need to do a little more research into them and how they work. depending on how low you want to go will help you in your selection of the appropriate coilover. In theory, you can just raise/lower them w/o too much trouble yourself; again, that is what you are buying with a coilover as opposed to std strut/shock/spring setup. or just bag it and let the air do the work :D
Yeah, I mean I have done a lot of research, but couldn't come to the conclusion clear enough. I have called a local shop, and my suspicion was that the coils in the coilovers are a little more durable(stiff) and less 'springy' which from the stock spring would make it less of a weight impact when piled on. He said think of it this way... you load 150lbs on the car with stock springs and it sinks deep and handles like ****, but you put 150lbs on coilovers that aren't bottomed out, you have less of a sink, and better handling due to the stiffness.

He stated it wasn't too complicated to raise and lower them myself as I please as long as I do it properly (mark and turn and record how many turns and mark and turn x4).

Correct me if I am wrong, or he is. Just a lot of different information on these subjects lol.

I'm looking at buying some (KW) ST X coilovers as I can get a sweet deal on them right now.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Scheduled carbon cleaning on my car later this month, they will also clean the injectors and replace orings. I was wondering since I'm there should I have anything else checked out or replaced? My car is a gen 1 2013 GLI with APR stage 2 with all bolt ons except an upgraded intercooler. Planning on going Ko4 in the near future, car has 58k

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
probably good time to clean the throttle body. you should do a re adaptation afterwards (vagcom). If your careful and don't touch the throttle plate, you can get away without the re adaptation but if the TB needs cleaned, chances are better than not that your going to have to clean the throttle plate (one side or likely both). Play it safe and plan on doing the re adaptation.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Complaining is not one of my traits - - - but my recent 20,000 mile service app't - local dlr - was a LOT more than the 10k.

When I broached this to some of the folks in charge................

All they really said was something like "Wait until you see the 30,000 mile estimate[HR][/HR]

I like the car (no issues so far; really great MPG............)

ez

7701 - 7720 of 7857 Posts