VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

7781 - 7800 of 7857 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I have a stupid question about mirror cap.
Are the mirror caps that have no signals, and the ones with signals the same size?

I want to replace mine with black ones. So either I wrap them or buy new ones.

This is for a 2017 Jetta.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Im about to drain and fill my 16 jetta's transmission fluid, i might do it twice as im getting 8qts of toyota T-WS. My mind is set on this fluid, im not trying to start another "oh you can just use max life" "oh no you need the $23/qt stuff because its oem" discussion. I just want to make sure i have the whole process down before i start it.

* While the engine and trans are cold, unscrew drain plug and drain fluid, then unscrew check tube and drain more fluid
* Plug the trans again and add fluid through the fill hole via one of those hand pumps.
* Start vehicle and let it hit operating temp before slowly shifting through each gear a few times

Am i missing anything? Ive done two fluid/filter changes but they were on older cars that had dipstick tubes for filling it. Im at 72k right now, when is it recommended to do the filter? I looked through my manual and it didnt have any i fo that i saw, probably because of that "lifetime" marketing BS. The cheapest i can find the filter for is a bit over 80 bucks which is crazy. Im pretty sure filter kits for the other 2 fluid/filter jobs ive done weren't even 50 bucks for a filter and new trans pan gasket. Assuming new fluid fixes the shift issues im having (delayed shifts, somewhat hard shifts, occasional rev spikes/rev hang) how long could i go before id need to do the filter? IIRC the manual said to check the fluid every 20k if not changed at 60k, so i guess id be good for around another 20k before id need to do the filter?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Anyone have experience/recommendations with some reputable aftermarket brands that make stock parts? Looking to change my front control arms. I am leaning towards Febi Bilstein saw they have good reviews and ECS sells them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Anyone have experience/recommendations with some reputable aftermarket brands that make stock parts? Looking to change my front control arms. I am leaning towards Febi Bilstein saw they have good reviews and ECS sells them.

I've used Febi parts a few times, they make some quality stuff.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Looking to hook up an after market subwoofer to my fender audio, and the search option with this frustrated me. Is it just, run power to my amp and tap into the existing sub wire?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 GLI and yesterday after jumpstarting somebody elses car, my climate control only would do all the way hot or all the way cold, no blending. I unhooked my battery and reconnected it and started my car and it was fixed. Has this happened to anybody else before?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Only because I’ve crawled the interwebs and have been unable to come up with anything..

Does anyone make high flow intake manifolds for the mk6? Specifically the face lift models?

As I’ve said I haven’t come up with anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
663 Posts
Anybody know what size bolts are needed to connect the lower control arms? Also if anybody knows what bolts are needed for the subframe? Planning on doing a suspension refresh but can't find the nessesary bolts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Multiple dash lights appear at random times

Anyone have ideas why these lights will come on at random times, engine cold or hot, car stationary or in motion. They will all go off after an apparent reset aside from airbag light which will go off after engine cycle.
Of course the vag-com shows NO FAULTS after this sequence.

Apologies if image problems, I very rarely use this forum so my noob is showing. If image does not show, the lamps in question are power steering, ABS, Airbag, traction control and tire pressure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Only because I’ve crawled the interwebs and have been unable to come up with anything..

Does anyone make high flow intake manifolds for the mk6? Specifically the face lift models?

As I’ve said I haven’t come up with anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No company makes an aftermarket high flow intake manifold for EA888 Gen3 motors yet. The ones you can find from HPA/IE/etc are for Gen1/Gen2 motors.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 2012 GLI and yesterday after jumpstarting somebody elses car, my climate control only would do all the way hot or all the way cold, no blending. I unhooked my battery and reconnected it and started my car and it was fixed. Has this happened to anybody else before?
Sounds like you more than likely hooked up both positive and negative posts on both sides (your battery and other car battery). If you're giving someone a jump, you don't connect the cable to the negative post on your battery, instead you use a ground connection inside the engine bay. Doing otherwise to lead to possibly damaging your car electric components, or temporarily shorting your vehicle electrical system resulting in odd behavior of said components like your HVAC system not functioning properly until you reset your car by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
jack pad adapter kit for jetta

how come the ecs **edit: jack pad** adapter kit works on GTI, but not jettas? we have the same plugs underneath, no? my front covers look exactly the same as the GTIs in the pictures. ECS chat was no help.

·
Registered
9,008 Posts
how come the ecs adapter kit works on GTI, but not jettas? we have the same plugs underneath, no? my front covers look exactly the same as the GTIs in the pictures. ECS chat was no help.
Adapter for what?

·
Registered
61 Posts
how come the ecs **edit: jack pad** adapter kit works on GTI, but not jettas? we have the same plugs underneath, no? my front covers look exactly the same as the GTIs in the pictures. ECS chat was no help.
Adapter for what?

it's a pad to protect underneath while you lift the car.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a stupid question about mirror cap.
Are the mirror caps that have no signals, and the ones with signals the same size?

I want to replace mine with black ones. So either I wrap them or buy new ones.

This is for a 2017 Jetta.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Wrap is cheaper

·
Registered
61 Posts

When you can, I would go with OEM parts. never have issues with something fitting...not saying you have to, but my opinion. I've bought off ECS before and had to return due to fitment issues. Not all but some

·
Registered
663 Posts
When you can, I would go with OEM parts. never have issues with something fitting...not saying you have to, but my opinion. I've bought off ECS before and had to return due to fitment issues. Not all but some
Yea I was torn for so long that's usually the route I go, but this car is no longer my main car. I ultimately ended up doing upgraded mounts on the control arms and with the the saved money did an upgraded front sway bar.

7781 - 7800 of 7857 Posts