VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

7821 - 7840 of 7857 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
FWIW department.....................

The 2017 1.4 turbo - in my case now at 32,000 miles - that we purchased new is a really good replacement for my bought back TDI.

I figured that the diielel's MPG would be hard to equal. I figured correctly.

However, the little 1.4 - with the 5M - gets damn near 90% of the TDI's 44 and change MPG.

More than I figured.

It's nice to be surprised like that!

best to all,

ez

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2011 2.5L jetta sedan. The door pillar post tag says 'manufactured in 5/2010. Is this of signifigance when looking up info or ordering parts? Also, where do I look for my engine type in reference to the CBUA /CBTA, or whatever? Thanks

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have a 2011 2.5L jetta sedan. The door pillar post tag says 'manufactured in 5/2010. Is this of signifigance when looking up info or ordering parts?
No You have a 2011 model year so that's what you search for. If you look for 2010 you'll be getting Mk5 parts.

Also, where do I look for my engine type in reference to the CBUA /CBTA, or whatever? Thanks
CBTA is ULEV and CBUA is SULEV (pzev). Check the emissions sticker under your hood.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok, that's what I thought, but I didn't realize next model year vehicles were built that early ahead.

Couldn't find anything on the emissions label, but there's a sticker in the spare tire well that has a 'CBT' on a label with a lot of other info.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hey guys, wondering if y’all could help me find out what’s up with my car. When I am turning my wheel to the right there is like a squeaking sound, it’s loud enough for me to hear if I’m driving with my windows down. The same thing happens when I turn it to the left however it is much quieter and harder to produce the noise. It’s a 2016 1.4t if that matters. TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have a 2012 vw Jetta 2.0L 4cyl. Trying to add a bit more horsepower to the vehicle. Was thinking a about a turbo if so which one is recommended or any suggestions for more horsepower?

·
Registered
544 Posts
seesir;114591123[B said:
]I Didn’t know Electronic power steering used fluid[/B]

You are correct. My comment - terribly behind the power curve - was based on Supra symptoms during the stone age.

sign me red-faced,

ez

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Have a 2012 vw Jetta 2.0L 4cyl. Trying to add a bit more horsepower to the vehicle. Was thinking a about a turbo if so which one is recommended or any suggestions for more horsepower?
Sell it and get something with a turbo already.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
FWIW department.....................

The 2017 1.4 turbo - in my case now at 32,000 miles - that we purchased new is a really good replacement for my bought back TDI.

I figured that the diielel's MPG would be hard to equal. I figured correctly.

However, the little 1.4 - with the 5M - gets damn near 90% of the TDI's 44 and change MPG.

More than I figured.

It's nice to be surprised like that!

best to all,

ez
Yeah, the 1.4 TSI is really good on the highway compared to the older 2.5l that use to come in the Jetta.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Any one know the average cost of redoing the valve cover gasket on the GLI? Coming home earlier today the car('13 GLI) started misfiring and EPC came on. I turned the car off then on and it wouldn't crank (battery power was good, fuel pump was priming) pulled the coil packs out and noticed cylinder 3 had some oil in. I pulled the spark plug and cleaned them. Turned the car on and it started normally and had a CEL for misfire in cylinder 3. I noticed oil seeping from around the valve cover also. Asked a mechanic friend about cost of doing the seals and he said manager charges around $650 for the newer cars that use sealants and removing everything to get to the actual cover. Just trying to get a gauge on pricing. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
To wbryan09:
I believe number 1 is a compass module. My 13 GLI originally did not have navigation from the factory. I purchased and installed the nav headunit myswlf and remember having to disconnect the compass so that it would not interfere with the new antenna for the GPS.

As for number 2 I don’t remember seeing that. Mine had the fender audio system so it had a sub box that ran from side to side (couldn’t see the metal as in your picture).

·
Registered
36 Posts
To wbryan09:
I believe number 1 is a compass module. My 13 GLI originally did not have navigation from the factory. I purchased and installed the nav headunit myswlf and remember having to disconnect the compass so that it would not interfere with the new antenna for the GPS.

As for number 2 I don’t remember seeing that. Mine had the fender audio system so it had a sub box that ran from side to side (couldn’t see the metal as in your picture).
Awesome, thanks!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
The Official Mk.VI Jetta "Ask a Stupid Question" Thread

Sorry for the dual post but I think this page gets more traffic than my progress thread.

Today I went on a 300 mile round trip road trip with my girlfriend and started hearing some popping from the front end, kind of reminiscent of subframe popping that I have seen before. This makes me want to get cracking on my TTRS subframe install. I have been trying to figure out the best way to do this. Would it be jack stands with wheels removed or could I use my rhino ramps and leave the wheels on? I know, usually, suspension likes to be under load when being torqued down and figured that would be the case if I used rhino ramps.

·
Registered
59 Posts
About a month after I bought my car 3 years ago, I started my car and headed to friend's house. 3 minutes after my car started shaking, lost power, and CEL started blinking. I was right by an auto parts store so I conveniently parked there and quickly learned I had to replace an ignition coil.
Shortly after that I ordered a set of coils and spark plugs. No problems after that.

Last night I was driving back home. First 5 minutes were fine, then all of a sudden CEL and ESC lights came on while I was on a freeway. I started feeling the whole car shake when I was going up smaller hills. When I got off the freeway after about 20 min, the car was shaking a lot more at the stop light and more lights came on the dash (ABS, and a few others). P0304 was throwing with some of the others. When I started accelerating the car would jerk and shake a lot, the transmission wouldn't shift until around 4k RPM. It was a mess. Felt so bad I drove it like that for ~20 miles.

I assumed it was the same issue as 3 years ago and ordered the parts. Haven't touched the car since.

Should I be worried it's something else or does it sound like the symptoms? The parts aren't arriving until Friday so I'm in suspense. Anyone had the similar issue?

7821 - 7840 of 7857 Posts