VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

7841 - 7860 of 7868 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
About a month after I bought my car 3 years ago, I started my car and headed to friend's house. 3 minutes after my car started shaking, lost power, and CEL started blinking. I was right by an auto parts store so I conveniently parked there and quickly learned I had to replace an ignition coil.
Shortly after that I ordered a set of coils and spark plugs. No problems after that.

Last night I was driving back home. First 5 minutes were fine, then all of a sudden CEL and ESC lights came on while I was on a freeway. I started feeling the whole car shake when I was going up smaller hills. When I got off the freeway after about 20 min, the car was shaking a lot more at the stop light and more lights came on the dash (ABS, and a few others). P0304 was throwing with some of the others. When I started accelerating the car would jerk and shake a lot, the transmission wouldn't shift until around 4k RPM. It was a mess. Felt so bad I drove it like that for ~20 miles.

I assumed it was the same issue as 3 years ago and ordered the parts. Haven't touched the car since.

Should I be worried it's something else or does it sound like the symptoms? The parts aren't arriving until Friday so I'm in suspense. Anyone had the similar issue?
Any other codes? P0304 is just a misfire code. How many miles have you put on the new plugs and coils? I'm stage 2 and replace both my plugs and coils every spring since it's cheap enough.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Did a general search and some pages of the ask a stupid question. Not making it thru 300+ pages...

Just got a 2017 S. The dip stick is black. How do you see the dang oil on a black dip stick. Did a quick
search for aftermarket. Not much available. Thanks.

·
Registered
volkswagen Jetta 1.4T
479 Posts
Did a general search and some pages of the ask a stupid question. Not making it thru 300+ pages...

Just got a 2017 S. The dip stick is black. How do you see the dang oil on a black dip stick. Did a quick
Lol black? Mines the normal silver color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
387 Posts

Ecs tuning has a rather nice selection of dipsticks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Looked on ECS for dip stick, couldn't find anything for the 2017 S. If you find one, please post a link.

Another stupid question - with the center console, I keep seeing pictures of a "flip" panel that's forward of the buttons. (although
I just have the card holder. But like the look of the buttons better)

I don't have the flip cover. Was this just for SE/GLI's or has mine disappeared. Anyway to retro-fit or have to get a new console?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
14' GLI, 17' Tiguan Sport, 08' R32(sold)
1,188 Posts
Why does my RNS510 not show XMradio station art on the presents. It is VERY annoying and no one seems to know why? I have had it in the car for months, have received station updates/refreshes from XM and no update to channel art.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No fish bowl... DNA clear crome, indentical to factory, just a clear corner... I pushed the part i'm talking with a LED bulb and popped the screen... It's not meant to come out, it did have a screw holding it on though... Maybe for adjustment... I can't find any literature on it... It took me less time to install my turbo...

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I can't find my owners manual at the moment so I am throwing this question out there. For a while now I get this INSPEC on my dash display when the car is started. So how am I supposed to know what I am to inspect?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I can't find my owners manual at the moment so I am throwing this question out there. For a while now I get this INSPEC on my dash display when the car is started. So how am I supposed to know what I am to inspect?

I only get that message if I or my mechanic forget to reset the oil degradation reminder after each oil change.

I reset it through OBDELEVEN but I’m not sure how to reset it with the dash buttons.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I currently have 2600 miles left on my oil service. I always reset that service interval, although it is a royal PITA, but I do it through the dash functions. I will check out OBDELEVEN. Maybe you can explain briefly what that is?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I currently have 2600 miles left on my oil service. I always reset that service interval, although it is a royal PITA, but I do it through the dash functions. I will check out OBDELEVEN. Maybe you can explain briefly what that is?
OBDELEVEN is a dongle you connect to you OBD II port underneath the steering column. It can allow you do do various customization options on your car as well as check codes & more

Wow that sounded like an ad.

On the other hand, it’s pretty expensive for what it is and you rely on a credit system for customization. And I hate how limited our cars are when it comes to customization options so it really didn’t match the price I paid for it

You can find more info at obdeleven.com I think

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
OBDELEVEN is a dongle you connect to you OBD II port underneath the steering column. It can allow you do do various customization options on your car as well as check codes & more

Wow that sounded like an ad.

On the other hand, it’s pretty expensive for what it is and you rely on a credit system for customization. And I hate how limited our cars are when it comes to customization options so it really didn’t match the price I paid for it

You can find more info at obdeleven.com I think

Thanks for the info. I did look it up and it seems cool, but wasn't sure how much functionality you actually got with it. I like the concept though.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I noticed most big brand Ko4 kits are out of stock. I have been wanting to pull the trigger on the Unitronic Ko4 kit but it's been out of stock everywhere since the early summer when I started looking. Is this due to the pandemic?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

Not sure if you cleared your inspection light....but I had same issue. I followed this and it worked for me.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
239 Posts
So if you change out your stock head unit with you lose power to stock usb outlet?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Yeah I can't plug one into my new head unit, you could wire it to 5v if you just want power. My new unit came with usb cords but they aren't in the nice stock spot they just hang into the passenger foot well.

7841 - 7860 of 7868 Posts