VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
21,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There have been some threads regarding different suspensions for the MkV platform. This is going to be a comprehensive list of the most common anti-sway bars for the front and rear, as well as end links. Also, feel free to leave a picture of your vehicle with details on your suspension component.

If I am missing something, feel free to PM me and I will add it to this thread.

Please, refrain from quoting full images and videos. Image quotes tend to clutter a thread.

*Disclaimer*

- All listings below are for a 2008 Jetta. Please check what is needed for your vehicle before making any purchases.

- CLICK HERE for the sister thread, The Official MkV Golf/Jetta Aftermarket Lowering Spring/Coilover Guide.
- CLICK HERE for the sister thread, The Official MkV Golf/Jetta Aftermarket Intake Guide.
- CLICK HERE for the sister thread, The Official MkV Golf/Jetta Aftermarket Exhaust Guide.
- CLICK HERE for the sister thread, The Official MkV Golf/Jetta Aftermarket Engine/Transmission Mount Guide.

OEM Components

When installing an aftermarket sway bar, it isn't alway necessary to replace certain hardware, unless there is damage or is required by the manufacturer. Here is a list of OEM components:

- Front end link: 1K0-411-315-P, MSRP $65.00
- Front end link nut: N-015-081-6, MSRP $1.70
- Rear end link: 1K0-505-465-K, MSRP $58.00
- Rear end link nut: N-102-861-11, MSRP $1.30
- Rear end link bolt: WHT-000-226, MSRP $2.44
- Rear bar bracket: 1K0-511-439-E. MSRP $21.50
- Rear bar bushing (for 21.6mm bar only): 1K0-511-327-AS, MSRP $12.70
- Rear bar bushing (for 19mm bar only): 1K0-511-327-AQ, MSRP $12.70
- Rear bar bracket bolt: N-107-193-01, MSRP $1.74

Still trying to find part numbers to front sway bar components.

- OEM bars are hollow, whereas most aftermarket bars are solid. This is where most of the difference comes from.
- The R32 front and rear sway bars is specific to the R32 and will not fit a FWD MkV, and vice versa.
- When making adjustments, the hole closest to the end of the bar is the least stiffest (more body roll) setting.

OEM Dimensions

GLI/GTI 2.0T FSI/TSI: 23.6mm front | 21.6mm rear
Jetta/Golf/Rabbit 2.5/1.9TDI/2.0TDI: 21mm front | 19mm rear
R32 3.2: 22mm front | 21.6mm rear

Fronts (no R32)

- ECS Tuning non-adjustable 26mm
- Neuspeed non-adjustable 25mm
- H&R adjustable 26mm
- H&R adjustable 28mm
- Whiteline non-adjustable 22mm
- Whiteline adjustable 24mm
- APR adjustable 27mm
- VWR adjustable 26mm
- ST adjustable 1" (25.4mm)
- Hotchkis adjustable 27mm

Rears (no R32)

- ECS Tuning non-adjustable 23mm
- Neuspeed adjustable 25mm
- Neuspeed adjustable 28mm
- H&R adjustable 22mm
- H&R adjustable 24mm
- APR adjustable 27mm
- VWR adjustable 23mm
- ST adjustable 13/16" (20.6mm)
- Hotchkis adjustable 27mm

Fronts (R32)

- Neuspeed non-adjustable 25mm
- H&R adjustable 24mm

Rears (R32)

- Neuspeed adjustable 25mm
- H&R adjustable 26mm
- Whiteline adjustable 22mm

·
Registered
230 Posts
Bump

I would really like to to hear feedback from people with aftermarket sway bars. Here are my experiences to help others.

I put GLI shocks and springs in a regular Jetta. That made a big difference. Much less floaty and more responsive. Less, but still a lot of lean in the corners. No negative ride consequences.

I then put in a rear GTI sway bar 21.7. This decreased overall roll but the most of the improvement at the back. The back end is much more solid and predictable. The turn in is still pretty poor and roll at the front is still considerable. Ride still fine. Seems faster too which is weird.

Moving from 205/55-16 Michelin Primacy MXV4 to Conti DWS 225/45-17 made me feel the bumps a bit more and didn't seem to do too much to improve actual grip. Biggest improvement from this seems to be more solid steering feel and improved stability at speed.

I am trying to decide what to do next to improve turn in and reduce roll while keeping a good ride. I am thinking of either a stock front GTI sway bar (1mm bigger) or going to front and rear H&R bars.

I would like to hear feedback on stock vs. differnt sizes front and rear H&R bars running stock shocks/ springs.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
i have the same rear bar and i felt a minimal difference. i am lowered on fairly stiff coils and i saw a big improvement when those were installed. after i got the neuspeed rears i set them on full stiff immediately. i found i could come into turns slightly faster, but it didn't feel faster or stiffer. i think a solid bar would yield bigger benefits. also neuspeed is one of the smaller ones i found which might play a part in my experience. eventually i plan on getting a full f/r setup with solid bars and swapping to dampening adjustable coils so i can maintain my lack of body roll with a more comfortable ride when i want it.

·
Banned
21,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have the same rear bar and i felt a minimal difference. i am lowered on fairly stiff coils and i saw a big improvement when those were installed. after i got the neuspeed rears i set them on full stiff immediately. i found i could come into turns slightly faster, but it didn't feel faster or stiffer. i think a solid bar would yield bigger benefits. also neuspeed is one of the smaller ones i found which might play a part in my experience. eventually i plan on getting a full f/r setup with solid bars and swapping to dampening adjustable coils so i can maintain my lack of body roll with a more comfortable ride when i want it.
So wait...what rear sway bar do you have? The Neuspeed bars are solid bars. Also, some body is still needed for optimum handling. But if you have the Neuspeed 25mm rear and you are saying that it didn't feel stiffer in the turns, something isn't right. What is your complete suspension setup?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I've seen their name a lot when I was searching for info. You and I have some work to do. :wave)
:wave: Same as the APR bar (Just PC'd black) 27mm Hollow with 90%, 135%, 200% settings.

Going to be a nice suspension refresh RSB, Silverline X's, New Neo Gens.

No Rush, Whenev you are ready :beer::beer::beer::beer:

·
Banned
21,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:wave: Same as the APR bar (Just PC'd black) 27mm Hollow with 90%, 135%, 200% settings.

Going to be a nice suspension refresh RSB, Silverline X's, New Neo Gens.

No Rush, Whenev you are ready :beer::beer::beer::beer:
The Hotchkis is hollow?

You will be more than satisfied. Haha.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
So wait...what rear sway bar do you have? The Neuspeed bars are solid bars. Also, some body is still needed for optimum handling. But if you have the Neuspeed 25mm rear and you are saying that it didn't feel stiffer in the turns, something isn't right. What is your complete suspension setup?
Yes I have the neuspeed. According to their website it is tubular which in my mind transfers to hollow.

http://www.neuspeed.com/2502253-neuspeed-rear-anti-sway-bar-25mm.html

I'm on solo-werks coilovers. Like I said it's pretty stiff already so I assume that's why I don't feel much of a difference. I can take on ramps maybe 5mph faster but it doesn't feel any different. Which I guess is the point, you don't feel the body roll so it feels the same as going slower without it. I just expected to actually feel the car pulling me around corners.

·
Banned
21,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess I may have to send some emails. I always thought that the aftermarket sway bars were solid. When tapped off the car I could hear the difference. I could be wrong though. Aside from thickness, I thought that was one of the differences between the two.

Regardless, they are on all three if my cars and the cornering was massively improved on coils and air.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Would a 2.0 FSI Wolfsburg Jetta have the same swaybar dimensions as a 2.5 Jetta, or a GLI/GTI?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.