VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Banned
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We finally figured out which bolts to get to mount the 16v up to the engine stand, so we're about to go out to get some of those...
We did a compression check on the 8v that's being taken out of the SheRocco:
Cylinder one: 130
Cylinder two: 127
Cylinder three: 120
Cylinder four: 80
Looks like it was about time to replace the engine anyway

Next step: get the 16v up to the engine stand and drain out all the craptastic oil, replace all the seals and gaskets, and clean it up as much as needed.
Who knows how much we'll get done tonight... We'll update again later this evening.
--Amber & Rob

·
Banned
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: The *Official* SheRocco 16v install thread! (MK1Scirocco1980)

These are a few update pictures. Notice we got all the felt crap scraped off and the oil pan completely cleaned off (and painted...yellow?) what the crap?
Also sprayed a little oven cleaner on the cylinder head and went to town with a wire brush. Boy that was fun

ANYWAY....some of the pictures (my camera died before I could take more than a few)

-Rob & Amber

·
Banned
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: The *Official* SheRocco 16v install thread! (polov8)

Some more pictures....
and in the fury of working on her car today, I didn't even get a chance to spend time with the new welder that was delivered to me!!!
No more ****ty looking stick welds for me.

-Rob

·
Registered
9,639 Posts

lookin' good there, people! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Quote, originally posted by MK1Scirocco1980 »
got all the felt crap scraped off and the oil pan completely cleaned off (and painted...yellow?) what the crap?

and just what is wrong w/ yellow?

coulda done red?

keep up the great work!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts

Hey Rob, Nice welder man.... I am in the market for a new power source for my Kemppi welder, cooked it today welding up holes...

You installing a factory windage plate / rubber gasket with the sump ??http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Keep the updates happening

·
Banned
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (Rocco_Phil)

Quote, originally posted by Rocco_Phil »
Where'd ya get the welder?
I say, try some Seafoam motor treatment for that varnish when you get a chance.

Where can I get this "seafoam" ? I've seen it mentioned before.
The welder I got from Quimby Welding Supply out of Portland, OR.
-Rob

·
Banned
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: The *Official* SheRocco 16v install thread! (roccodingo)

Quote, originally posted by roccodingo »

You installing a factory windage plate / rubber gasket with the sump ??http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Keep the updates happening

Had no plans to. But I may or may not decide to give her my TT Baffled Oil Pan w/ Windage Tray.
Might have to keep it for my 2.0L 16V

-Rob

·
Banned
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: The *Official* SheRocco 16v install thread! (white_r!ce)

Thanks bud.

Amber and I are off to get SEAFOAM!
And some oven cleaner....and....whatever else looks appetizing.
Yeah as stated in the other post, I want to make sure I have the crankshaft timed properly. Is the pulley on it the same as it is on an 8V? if so, where would I find a timing mark on he block so I know it's in the proper position? Here is what I have so far. I took a pulley off of a spare 8V (with AC) and put it on the block and took a few pictures before removing the timing belt.
I turned the engine (while the old timing belt was on) to the timing marks on the camshaft. This is the position of the lower crankshaft pulley after doing that (before removing the timing belt). So if the previous owner had it timed (which I'm assuming he did) this should be where the proper timing marks are...but I don't see any indication on the block that "yeah, this is where you want it to be" so I took a picture just in case. Albeit not that accurate it will be damn close to actually having a mark on the block.

-Rob

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Seafoam is a product you'd use after you get it running. But get the motor treatment. A number of people on the List have talked about its awesome ability to clean out a motor. Let us know, after the install, how it works for you.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Quote, originally posted by MK1Scirocco1980 »
Thanks bud.

Amber and I are off to get SEAFOAM!
And some oven cleaner....and....whatever else looks appetizing.
Yeah as stated in the other post, I want to make sure I have the crankshaft timed properly. Is the pulley on it the same as it is on an 8V? if so, where would I find a timing mark on he block so I know it's in the proper position? Here is what I have so far. I took a pulley off of a spare 8V (with AC) and put it on the block and took a few pictures before removing the timing belt.
I turned the engine (while the old timing belt was on) to the timing marks on the camshaft. This is the position of the lower crankshaft pulley after doing that (before removing the timing belt). So if the previous owner had it timed (which I'm assuming he did) this should be where the proper timing marks are...but I don't see any indication on the block that "yeah, this is where you want it to be" so I took a picture just in case. Albeit not that accurate it will be damn close to actually having a mark on the block.
-Rob

Rob, your intercam timing looks correct. With it in that position, there are a few other spots you can check to make sure the cam-to-crank timing is correct; 1. look in the timing hole on the transmission. You should see the TDC mark. 2. Look at the cam sprocket that the timing belt goes on. There is a notch on that sprocket that will line up with another mark on the valve cover when at TDC. I'm pretty sure the sprocket mark is perfectly vertical when at TDC.
Lookin good though.

·
Banned
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: The *Official* SheRocco 16v install thread! (xaeryan)

Me putting on new studs:

Tonight we got a new timing chain put on, new oil seals, wire brushed the lower intake manifold. Tomorrow we're pressing out the old passenger side mount and transmission mounts. As well as putting a new clutch kit in (210MM w/16v pressure plate.)
Finish putting the rest of the engine together, and, if time allows, start taking out the tired old 1.8L 8V.
-Rob

·
Banned
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: The *Official* SheRocco 16v install thread! (TeamTHP)

The Front Yard:

Progress on the 8V:

The 16V all put back together:

This is where we left off. Probably go back tonight to take off the halfshafts and exhaust downpipe.

-Rob

Modified by MK1Scirocco1980 at 1:24 AM 1-15-2006

1 - 20 of 156 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.