VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 337 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2022 Ford F150
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is now the official TCL F150 thread. Post pics, ask questions, discuss, etc.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Our local dealership has a few Super Crew 2.7 Ecoboost, 10 speed XL's in stock. I'd prefer the Lariat for the 4Auto option but the Lariat is out of my price range and in my Google snooping it seems 4Auto can be added rather cost effectively.
I test drove one and I was surprised how well this little engine coupled with the 10 speed preformed. Not a rocket, but it had enough power to get around, considering the size of the truck.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have an order in for a Lariat 502a Powerboost. I wanted a midsize, but for the price it didn't make sense to purchase vs a 1/2 ton. With little kids, we will definitely appreciate the cab space. It took a few months of researching to really figure out how I wanted to order my build. Ford has a lot of options. Probably why my build will take 6+ months unfortunately to arrive. I've driven most of the competition including the 22 Tundra Platinum. I was most impressed with the Ford. This time last year I figured we would definitely be buying a Tundra since I've owned a few Toyota's and currently a Lexus with no issues. The Ford is ahead of the pack with available options such as the hybrid and pro-power in the tailgate. It's some real nice, practical options to have depending on how you use the truck.

The 2.7 is arguably their most reliable engine. I had one as a rental a few years ago and was extremely impressed with the power. If you are just using it mainly around town with occasional towing, this engine is more than enough. The 5.0 is redesigned with cylinder deactivation and has had some reported oil consumption issues. I shy away from cylinder deactivation after having an issue on my Tahoe's AFM 5.3 a few years ago. It does sound amazing however and has some great power if you wind it out. The 3.5 has been tweaked over the years , but had cam phaser issues on and off. I think those are finally resolved for the most part. It's a great power plant for towing..effortless power. The 3.5 Powerboost in its first year seemed very solid, but it hasn't been produced for years so the jury is still out longterm.

The savings ordering vs taking one on the lot makes me patient. I'm about 9.5k under MSRP. There are about 4-5 dealers online that are invoice minus 3-5%. In this environment it is hard to beat if you have time to wait.

·
Registered
'18 Camry SE, '15 F150 XLT, '05 Golf, '91 GTI VR6
5,478 Posts
I had a Frontier for 5 years before I got it in my head I wanted a full-size. I went from that, to a GMT800 Silverado, and now I’ve had my ‘15 F150 for a year.

On the plus side, the crew cab has all the space you’ll ever need for passengers. You pay for it in bed space, but the 5.5’ bed has been big enough for my needs. The extra width and height also make a big difference.

Initially I was looking for a 18+ with the 2.7/10-speed because I was combining my Silverado and an Outback, and the 2.7 and 10-speed supposedly get similar mileage to what I was getting from my Outback (low-20s). I eventually lowered my budget and focused on getting a 15-17 with less emphasis on engine; still preferred a 2.7, but wanted the XLT 302A package for the heated seats. Ended up with a 5.0-powered 302A crew cab with 83k miles for $25k. Not bad considering where the market has ended up.

I’m not in love with the size, that’s my biggest complaint but it’s the name of the game at the full size level. At this point, I’m used to it, but I prefer driving small cars and I miss the maneuverability of the smaller truck. However, I also don’t want to go back to having a smaller tow vehicle so I’m in it for the long haul with the F150. Plus, it still fits in my garage so it’s not all bad.

I parked next to a previous-gen Frontier the other day and remarked to myself how small the bed is. I made it work when I had mine, but I haven’t been left wanting for anything with the F150. It does everything I reasonably expect to do with a truck, so I don’t see myself having 3/4-ton aspirations in the future.

IMO, the F150 was the best blend of quality, modernity, and capability. I’m not in love with GM’s interior styling direction the last two generations, and am wary of the 8-speed’s longevity. The Ram was my number 2, but the Hemi takes a fuel economy hit over the aluminum body F150, even with the 5.0. Toyota was too expensive used for the condition, and fuel economy is terrible. Nissans were fewer and farther in between, and aren’t as cheap as you’d expect.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an order in for a Lariat 502a Powerboost. I wanted a midsize, but for the price it didn't make sense to purchase vs a 1/2 ton. With little kids, we will definitely appreciate the cab space. It took a few months of researching to really figure out how I wanted to order my build. Ford has a lot of options. Probably why my build will take 6+ months unfortunately to arrive. I've driven most of the competition including the 22 Tundra Platinum. I was most impressed with the Ford. This time last year I figured we would definitely be buying a Tundra since I've owned a few Toyota's and currently a Lexus with no issues. The Ford is ahead of the pack with available options such as the hybrid and pro-power in the tailgate. It's some real nice, practical options to have depending on how you use the truck.

The 2.7 is arguably their most reliable engine. I had one as a rental a few years ago and was extremely impressed with the power. If you are just using it mainly around town with occasional towing, this engine is more than enough. The 5.0 is redesigned with cylinder deactivation and has had some reported oil consumption issues. I shy away from cylinder deactivation after having an issue on my Tahoe's AFM 5.3 a few years ago. It does sound amazing however and has some great power if you wind it out. The 3.5 has been tweaked over the years , but had cam phaser issues on and off. I think those are finally resolved for the most part. It's a great power plant for towing..effortless power. The 3.5 Powerboost in its first year seemed very solid, but it hasn't been produced for years so the jury is still out longterm.

The savings ordering vs taking one on the lot makes me patient. I'm about 9.5k under MSRP. There are about 4-5 dealers online that are invoice minus 3-5%. In this environment it is hard to beat if you have time to wait.
I'd be very interested in hearing how you got that much of a discount. I can sell the WRX and be ok with one car for a while.

I just drove their 21 XL (ex loaner with 2k miles) and I want a new one. I am cool with the basic amenities. I hate the plastic steering wheel but column shift is a must and the rubber floors are fantastic.

·
Registered
23,315 Posts
My first car was a Trooper but since then I have had little cars, but got a truck last year. I enjoy driving it a lot. You can't make some U-turns or slice and dice in traffic but the visibility is amazing and it soaks up bad roads. Our city's traffic is getting worse and worse so there's nowhere to really exercise a sporty car, IMO.

Try the 3.3 (DI+port injection) if they have one. It has the 10AT now and has plenty of power (IMO) if you're not going to be doing any heavy towing. I wanted one last year but there were none on the ground due to the chip shortage, plus zero incentives.

I really wanted the column shift, bench seat, vinyl floor combo with a few options like power windows, cruise, 4WD, rear locker and the 36-gallon gas tank.

These don't embed but here is a 0-60

60 to speed limiter

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a ‘21 STX with the 2.7 and I LOVE it. Check out my thread about it and some of my videos and ask me any questions you have.
Picked Up a New Pickup
Wow that's a great build. I didn't know the STX came with the column shift. Did you lease it?

The sales person I talked to was a moron so I need to make some other contacts to talk cost and all that. He was giving me the blurb about no discounts as I'm 3 feet a way from a brand new GT and two of the early 00s GTs. And by GT I mean the supercar.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Wow that's a great build. I didn't know the STX came with the column shift. Did you lease it?

The sales person I talked to was a moron so I need to make some other contacts to talk cost and all that. He was giving me the blurb about no discounts as I'm 3 feet a way from a brand new GT and two of the early 00s GTs. And by GT I mean the supercar.
No I bought it. Got a killer deal and traded in a CRV lease 9 mos early to get the equity. I think I broke down what I paid for it in the first post. Roughly 20% off MSRP back in May. It’s a great truck for being a “cheap” (stickered at like $42k) model. Has everything I need and less fancy electronic do-dads and **** to break.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No I bought it. Got a killer deal and traded in a CRV lease 9 mos early to get the equity. I think I broke down what I paid for it in the first post. Roughly 20% off MSRP back in May. It’s a great truck for being a “cheap” (stickered at like $42k) model. Has everything I need and less fancy electronic do-dads and **** to break.
I am leaning towards leasing because we go through vehicles like crazy and I like the smaller monthly payment. We may ditch the Ascent for something smaller so my vehicle would be primary as opposed to our current situation.

I'm having some sensory overload so I've got a lot to digest. I may let Carvana come get the WRX though so I don't miss the deal. We can handle a single car for a while.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I am leaning towards leasing because we go through vehicles like crazy and I like the smaller monthly payment. We may ditch the Ascent for something smaller so my vehicle would be primary as opposed to our current situation.

I'm having some sensory overload so I've got a lot to digest. I may let Carvana come get the WRX though so I don't miss the deal. We can handle a single car for a while.
Yeah I’m done with leasing for now. I plan to keep this one for a while. I typically don’t drive that much because I work from home, but I’ve managed to put 11k miles on the truck in 9 months. I got such a good deal that I only financed like $31k with $0 out of pocket so my payment is a little under $500/mo for 72 mos at 2%. Lease deals on F150s usually kind of suck.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I'll start playing with the configurator and pick what I want and then find a dealer to talk to. 👍

Reactions: tardman91

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I built one on the Ford website and did an inventory search. The dealer I went to today has one on order that fits matches my build 100%. Even if they offer crap financing I can go refi at my credit union and be in really good shape. I reached out to them for availability date and numbers. I'm pretty pumped.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I was in the same situation. I found mine online and it was in transit. I financed with Ford at 5.something% because they were offering $1k or $1.5K rebate if you used Ford and then turned around and did a refi at my credit union for 2% before I even made a payment to Ford. How did you spec it out?

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just did a XL with SuperCrew, 5.5 foot box, STX package, and 4WD with the 2.7 and 10 speed. No LSD or anything special. I'll have to peep the window sticker for more details.

Reactions: tardman91

·
Banned
4,266 Posts
20k miles thus far on my ‘21. Love it. Amazing family vehicle, gets unbelievable MPG, rides great, 0-60 in sub 7 sec. Really fun to launch in 4hi with boost. 10/10 would F150 again. Gets better mpg than our explorer actually, sadly enough.

·
Premium Member
'08 Saab 9-3, '66 Vespa
9,183 Posts
I drive a 2015 one at work, which I think is the first year of the aluminum one. It's a crew cab with a cap, and it has the 2.7 EcoBoost with about 95k miles now. It's a lower trim one, but not full work truck spec. It has heated seats power locks/mirrors/windows, alloy wheels, and that electric blue paint. I actually just got back from a drive across half the country in it. I agree, the rubber floor/column shift combo is excellent, and the plastic steering wheel is pretty crappy. The ride is bouncy, on cold days the windshield washer pump will actually freeze and not work (hopefully they fixed that, it's super annoying), one of the rear doors needs to be slammed harder to actually shut it and the other rear door doesn't always unlock properly, every now and then if it's been sitting it will puff out a bunch of white smoke upon startup for a few minutes. It's also surprisingly inept at carrying things because it has absolutely no provisions for anything longer than the short bed. The engine is plenty quick and it gets 20-22mpg with mostly highway driving. As a small car driver, I don't really like sitting so high up and parking it is a pain, but if I were constantly hauling around landscaping materials and whatnot, I could see how having one around would be handy.

1 - 20 of 337 Posts