VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
261 - 280 of 337 Posts

·
Registered
2018 GTI Autobahn
43 Posts
Anyone know the part number for these wheels? They appear stock on this 13th gen but i've never seen them before.

View attachment 205142
Aren't those the Lariat sport special edition wheels? Those trucks had a matte stripe pattern on the side and a different grill too I believe. I do not think they're original to the truck in the photo though because I think the SE was only in gray, red or white. I could be wrong on that part, but I know they didn't have chrome bumpers.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2022 Ford F150
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
Aren't those the Lariat sport special edition wheels? Those trucks had a matte stripe pattern on the side and a different grill too I believe. I do not think they're original to the truck in the photo though because I think the SE was only in gray, red or white. I could be wrong on that part, but I know they didn't have chrome bumpers.
Odd. Google tells me that you're correct with the wheels being part of the limited edition Lariat. Heck, the little door badge says limited edition. The color is not red enough for what I found on Google though. Oh well, now I know where the wheels are from. Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 GTI Autobahn
43 Posts
Odd. Google tells me that you're correct with the wheels being part of the limited edition Lariat. Heck, the little door badge says limited edition. The color is not red enough for what I found on Google though. Oh well, now I know where the wheels are from. Thanks!
Yep, not a problem. I'm pretty good at picking out F150 wheels/features by model. My last vehicle I recently sold was a 2017 F150 XLT and I spent a lot of time on F150 forums over the last 5 years.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Couldn't believe the abundance of seemingly quality aftermarket truck wheels on Tirerack.com the other day.

I still remember the days when your options for truck wheels were limited to single digits.

Enkei RPT1 look particularly awesome. Many nice, concave options exist too. Love my FN BFD wheels on my Tundra, they have a Volk TE37 vibe.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2022 Ford F150
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
My truck will be ready for pickup on Monday. I won't be able to get it for another week or so past that so I've been snooping through photo threads on F150 forums. I found a photo of an iconic silver 2021+ XLT with Tremor wheels. Ugh I am in love.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
All right crew, I'm lightly debating on buying a 2019 FORD F-150 XLT to replace my diesel touareg. At the dealership, it says it's only rated to tow 5000 lb but when I look it up on the Ford engineering diagrams it's rated to tow 11,400. It has the 373 gears, super Crew short bed. 3.5 ecoboost. It says sport on the back of the truck and on the interior seating.

Any input as to what the actual tow capacity is? Going by the Ford diagrams I can't believe it's anything less than 11,400.. definitely no 5,000 crap

Reactions: lowlight

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Yeah, not sure where anyone got the 5K tow rating. I don't know exactly but I'd say the 11,400 lb tow rating sounds right. Ford has had the 3.5EB for years now as their F150 tow monster.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Yeah, not sure where anyone got the 5K tow rating. I don't know exactly but I'd say the 11,400 lb tow rating sounds right. Ford has had the 3.5EB for years now as their F150 tow monster.
That's great news, maybe they're just idiots or who knows LOL but thank you for the input

·
Banned
4,266 Posts
That's great news, maybe they're just idiots or who knows LOL but thank you for the input
Yeah, the min towing capacity for these is like 7700lb. You're at the very least that. 3.5EB's come with the HD 9-1/4" rear differential and the SCREW's have the HD frame by default. Just beware that the 10 speed has a learning curve in these and you will have to learn to accept it will hiccup and otherwise act stupid on occasion. There is a lot going on with ten forward gears. If you are coming from a car with a 5 speed auto, there will be a need to readjust your expectations.

That being said, at full throttle or when towing, they are beautiful pieces of engineering.

An update to mine. I ordered Continental TerrainContact A/T's thru a local tire store chain (locally owned, operate in 2 states) because I have a buddy who is the GM of a location. He got me a great price. I ordered these 3 weeks ago.

First they ordered the H/T version on accident. Oops. I was traveling for work later that week so I said forget it, we will reschedule in 8-10 days or so. I get back, we reschedule to get these put on. The tech gets the wheels off and is working on dismounting the first OE tire and scratches the wheel. My wheels are perfect. They are the optional carbonized gray 20" 6 spokes on the sport package.

The tech was smart enough to stop, come out and grab my friend and me and brought us back to show what happened. TLDR their tire machine sucks. I said forget it, lets not proceed with the other 3 and risk it. My friend, the GM agreed. They had a wheel repair guy come up but the job was mediocre and the rim is slightly mismatched in color and appearance from the rest now.

I settled on buying a new-take-off OE rim on eBay for ~$250 shipped, and he agreed to let me take the truck and tires across the street to the Ford dealer (where I should have went in the first place, deal be damned) to get them installed. The shop is eating the cost of the new (used) wheel and the installation at the Ford dealer, so I am satisfied with the outcome, but sheesh what a circus.

I will report back later this month when they get installed...

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Yeah, the min towing capacity for these is like 7700lb. You're at the very least that. 3.5EB's come with the HD 9-1/4" rear differential and the SCREW's have the HD frame by default. Just beware that the 10 speed has a learning curve in these and you will have to learn to accept it will hiccup and otherwise act stupid on occasion. There is a lot going on with ten forward gears. If you are coming from a car with a 5 speed auto, there will be a need to readjust your expectations.

That being said, at full throttle or when towing, they are beautiful pieces of engineering.

An update to mine. I ordered Continental TerrainContact A/T's thru a local tire store chain (locally owned, operate in 2 states) because I have a buddy who is the GM of a location. He got me a great price. I ordered these 3 weeks ago.

First they ordered the H/T version on accident. Oops. I was traveling for work later that week so I said forget it, we will reschedule in 8-10 days or so. I get back, we reschedule to get these put on. The tech gets the wheels off and is working on dismounting the first OE tire and scratches the wheel. My wheels are perfect. They are the optional carbonized gray 20" 6 spokes on the sport package.

The tech was smart enough to stop, come out and grab my friend and me and brought us back to show what happened. TLDR their tire machine sucks. I said forget it, lets not proceed with the other 3 and risk it. My friend, the GM agreed. They had a wheel repair guy come up but the job was mediocre and the rim is slightly mismatched in color and appearance from the rest now.

I settled on buying a new-take-off OE rim on eBay for ~$250 shipped, and he agreed to let me take the truck and tires across the street to the Ford dealer (where I should have went in the first place, deal be damned) to get them installed. The shop is eating the cost of the new (used) wheel and the installation at the Ford dealer, so I am satisfied with the outcome, but sheesh what a circus.

I will report back later this month when they get installed...
Great input thank you. Would getting the transmission tuned alleviate some of the strange characteristics of it? Good to know I'm not going to get anything with less than 7,700 lb capacity

Great call on getting Continental terrain contact at tires those are great tires.

·
Banned
4,266 Posts
Great input thank you. Would getting the transmission tuned alleviate some of the strange characteristics of it? Good to know I'm not going to get anything with less than 7,700 lb capacity

Great call on getting Continental terrain contact at tires those are great tires.
You'll pull a freakin' house down with that 3.5EB, no joke. You're going to sh1t lol.

Transmission tunes from what I have read make them 100% amazing. There are plenty of companies that do transmission only tunes. When I had my '20 I considered it. They changed the way the trans behaves and skip shifts (or should I say got rid of skip shifting mostly) with the '21 redesign.

Yours may be fine though, I know plenty of people that have zero complaints. My old boss was one of them. He went from a '16 to a '20 and never complained a lick. I am overly critical though at times. It doesn't help that most of my life I have driven manuals so I'm still kind of a goofball at driving automatic.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
You'll pull a freakin' house down with that 3.5EB, no joke. You're going to sh1t lol.

Transmission tunes from what I have read make them 100% amazing. There are plenty of companies that do transmission only tunes. When I had my '20 I considered it. They changed the way the trans behaves and skip shifts (or should I say got rid of skip shifting mostly) with the '21 redesign.

Yours may be fine though, I know plenty of people that have zero complaints. My old boss was one of them. He went from a '16 to a '20 and never complained a lick. I am overly critical though at times. It doesn't help that most of my life I have driven manuals so I'm still kind of a goofball at driving automatic.
I believe it! My F-350 makes me the happiest man alive. No wait, my wife does that. But then my f-350. Zero experience with the 3.5 EcoBoost but I'm finally at a point in my life where I am comfortable with them and how Ford has refined them. I find myself being super critical of my automobiles also so if this thing is quirky I'll definitely feel it lol. Good call on the transmission too now I will spring for one of those if I'm not completely happy. Skip shift? Barf! 1996 would like it's Camaros back. Are you saying that the 2019 will have skip shifting???

·
Banned
4,266 Posts
I believe it! My F-350 makes me the happiest man alive. No wait, my wife does that. But then my f-350. Zero experience with the 3.5 EcoBoost but I'm finally at a point in my life where I am comfortable with them and how Ford has refined them. I find myself being super critical of my automobiles also so if this thing is quirky I'll definitely feel it lol. Good call on the transmission too now I will spring for one of those if I'm not completely happy. Skip shift? Barf! 1996 would like it's Camaros back. Are you saying that the 2019 will have skip shifting???
At lower throttle inputs/slower accel it will skip gears. Most commonly -
  • 1-3-5-6-7-8-9-10
  • 1-2-4-6-7-8-9-10
The 2021 got rid of that and it at most will skip 2nd, and that's it. Now, they will skip shift all of the time when decelerating to a stop, or if you hammer it and let off it'll jump a few gears at a go, etc. That is all fine. It was the low throttle acceleration that drove me nuts.

That being said, one thing I hated about the ZF8 was on the highway if you gave it the boot and it was in 8th, it would do an 8-6-4 for example. It was slow and shifted too much.

The 10R80 design says **** that nonsense. It will jump 10-6, 10-5 or 10-4 directly, depending on your highway speed. 10-4 at 50-55mph is genuinely hilarious. That is one of my most favorite parts. Another is the ole 3-1 downshift at lower speeds around town. Nothing more satisfying than roasting your tires (audibly) by the car that needs to slow down to 3mph to pull into a parking lot or off of a main road. :D

Edit: you can drive around in SPORT mode and it won't skip shift. It does firm the shifts up and hold the revs, though some guys prefer that.

Edit2: you should also know these few things.

• These transmissions are extremely durable, there are so many Mustang guys running 600-800whp through these transmissions without issue, stock. Check out some youtube videos. 10R80 Gen3 Coyote Mustangs are insanely fast, even n/a. It's also stupid easy to make 700whp on a stock bottom end Coyote so thats why it's so common. An off the shelf supercharger kit and injectors/fuel pump and you are there safely on E85.
  • This transmission is in millions of vehicles sold every year. It is in the following vehicles
    • F-150 and Raptor
    • Ranger
    • Explorer (10R60)
    • Expedition
    • Transit
    • Aviator
    • Navigator
    • Mustang
    • Bronco
If it was truly awful, you'd hear about it lol.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
At lower throttle inputs/slower accel it will skip gears. Most commonly -
  • 1-3-5-6-7-8-9-10
  • 1-2-4-6-7-8-9-10
The 2021 got rid of that and it at most will skip 2nd, and that's it. Now, they will skip shift all of the time when decelerating to a stop, or if you hammer it and let off it'll jump a few gears at a go, etc. That is all fine. It was the low throttle acceleration that drove me nuts.

That being said, one thing I hated about the ZF8 was on the highway if you gave it the boot and it was in 8th, it would do an 8-6-4 for example. It was slow and shifted too much.

The 10R80 design says **** that nonsense. It will jump 10-6, 10-5 or 10-4 directly, depending on your highway speed. 10-4 at 50-55mph is genuinely hilarious. That is one of my most favorite parts. Another is the ole 3-1 downshift at lower speeds around town. Nothing more satisfying than roasting your tires (audibly) by the car that needs to slow down to 3mph to pull into a parking lot or off of a main road. :D

Edit: you can drive around in SPORT mode and it won't skip shift. It does firm the shifts up and hold the revs, though some guys prefer that.

Edit2: you should also know these few things.

• These transmissions are extremely durable, there are so many Mustang guys running 600-800whp through these transmissions without issue, stock. Check out some youtube videos. 10R80 Gen3 Coyote Mustangs are insanely fast, even n/a. It's also stupid easy to make 700whp on a stock bottom end Coyote so thats why it's so common. An off the shelf supercharger kit and injectors/fuel pump and you are there safely on E85.
  • This transmission is in millions of vehicles sold every year. It is in the following vehicles
    • F-150 and Raptor
    • Ranger
    • Explorer (10R60)
    • Expedition
    • Transit
    • Aviator
    • Navigator
    • Mustang
    • Bronco
If it was truly awful, you'd hear about it lol.
Superb input bro, appreciate it! I feel super confident in Ford powertrain and programming. I haven't driven a late model f150 so not sure what to expect but I have high expectations

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
My friend has a Ford Ranger with 2.3L EB. He has the Unleashed Tuning ECU & transmission tunes and is very happy with them. He's a technician at a local Lincoln dealer & a loyal Ford enthusiast, he'e meticulous about the care of his vehicles so I'd trust Unleashed is a quality tuning option, FYI.

Dang this thread always rekindles my F150 Raptor cravings...!

·
Banned
4,266 Posts
My friend has a Ford Ranger with 2.3L EB. He has the Unleashed Tuning ECU & transmission tunes and is very happy with them. He's a technician at a local Lincoln dealer & a loyal Ford enthusiast, he'e meticulous about the care of his vehicles so I'd trust Unleashed is a quality tuning option, FYI.

Dang this thread always rekindles my F150 Raptor cravings...!
Doooo ittttt. Get one while the market softens. Fuel will be more affordable in a few years.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Woah, where did you get this info?
Going on a limb and assuming he's referring to when the current administration is out, fuel prices will "magically" tank like they do

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Saw my first lightning in the metal on Friday.

Base model pro.

I would take mine exactly like this. Looks like it has everything you need, nice screen power door locks, AC, and nothing else. The want is extremely strong.

If I could get one anywhere near MSRP, I would buy it today.

Looked hilarious taking up the EV spot that was installed like 10 years ago in front of whole foods, back when all that existed was Nissan Leafs. They never accounted for the day that behemoths like this would become EVs.

261 - 280 of 337 Posts