VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
301 - 320 of 337 Posts

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I wouldn't go that far :ROFLMAO:
The trucks? Absolutely. The cars? Different story. New f150 are safely moving loads that would have taken a 1-ton just a decade ago. New 1-tons are moving loads that would have taken semis a decade ago.

Reactions: fireside

·
Banned
4,266 Posts
The trucks? Absolutely. The cars? Different story. New f150 are safely moving loads that would have taken a 1-ton just a decade ago. New 1-tons are moving loads that would have taken semis a decade ago.
Fair. Every time I climb up into my F-150 I'm basically perched there like

Bird Accipitridae Sea eagle Beak Eagle

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Aight boo's. First experience with a 3.5 Ecoboost today. 2016 XLT. I dunno wtf happened, but around 20mph I gave it maybe 6/10 throttle and all of a sudden both rear tires let out the loudest dual tire squealing I've heard in a long time. This thing broken?? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Anywho. 2016 XLT 3.5 eb extended vs 2014 crew cab lariat.

Opinions? The crew cab is black 🤮🤮 vowed no more black cars again. Other than that, input? Both rides in equal shape. 2014 slightly higher mileage.

·
Banned
4,266 Posts
Aight boo's. First experience with a 3.5 Ecoboost today. 2016 XLT. I dunno wtf happened, but around 20mph I gave it maybe 6/10 throttle and all of a sudden both rear tires let out the loudest dual tire squealing I've heard in a long time. This thing broken?? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Anywho. 2016 XLT 3.5 eb extended vs 2014 crew cab lariat.

Opinions? The crew cab is black 🤮🤮 vowed no more black cars again. Other than that, input? Both rides in equal shape. 2014 slightly higher mileage.
Thought you were looking at a 2019? I’d go 2016 by the way, I think they fixed some issues with the 3.5 incl switching to a dual row timing chain vs single.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Thought you were looking at a 2019? I’d go 2016 by the way, I think they fixed some issues with the 3.5 incl switching to a dual row timing chain vs single.
Ehh long story bro man. I've got a couple things lined up, this just happens to be the first 3.5 I've test driven. The Cummins I went for ended up a bust and this thing was sitting right there And on the dealership website it was not listed as an EcoBoost that's why I wasn't interested in at first

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2022 Ford F150
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #308 ·
What kind of straps and tie downs is everyone keeping in their trucks?

·
Banned
4,266 Posts
I stopped at harbor freight a while back and snagged a recovery strap and some D ring shackles. I also keep two sets of ratchet straps in there, two thinner longer ones and two wider beefier ones. That’s all I ever have needed.

This all fits under the rear seat in the built in storage area. I don’t think XL STX comes with it but I added it to my old ‘20 XL STX. OEM it’s like $60.

Part # FL3Z-78115A00-AA

The recovery strap works well. I’ve pulled a few stuck vehicles with it no problem!

·
Registered
'18 Camry SE, '15 F150 XLT, '05 Golf, '91 GTI VR6
5,502 Posts
Just a variety of 1” straps - a pack of 500-lb ratchet straps and a couple of those with the pull buckles for lighter items that don’t need the full tension of a cinched ratchet strap (just to stop something from moving around in the bed too much).

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Get the ‘16. The steel body ‘14 is a heavy beast and will rot out eventually like the rest of them. At least on the ‘16 you won’t see the rot lol.

If you need the crew cab, hold out for a ‘15+. If you can live with the ext cab, get the ‘16
Ah that's interesting! Thank you! Really WANTED the crew cab but it's not a deal breaker. Rear seat has reasonable space it seems

In the dually for when I'm working I have 10 kinedyne 20,000lb 27' straps

Reactions: bnkrpt311

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #312 ·
Anyone do any undercoating? Like Fluid Film, Amsoil, Krown, etc.? I'm ready to order some Amsoil HD Metal Protector to spray the frame of my new truck.

I liked the idea of the LineX Tru Coat but none of the places within 100 miles do it except for one and he wants $800 for it.

·
Banned
4,266 Posts
Anyone do any undercoating? Like Fluid Film, Amsoil, Krown, etc.? I'm ready to order some Amsoil HD Metal Protector to spray the frame of my new truck.

I liked the idea of the LineX Tru Coat but none of the places within 100 miles do it except for one and he wants $800 for it.
Fords factory undercoating has been pretty solid in these last few generations, so I haven't given it much thought. I will probably spray some specific areas (suspension bits especially) with Fluid Film before the salt hits the road this year.

I'll have to check out this Amsoil stuff, you have me intrigued.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 ·
Fords factory undercoating has been pretty solid in these last few generations, so I haven't given it much thought. I will probably spray some specific areas (suspension bits especially) with Fluid Film before the salt hits the road this year.

I'll have to check out this Amsoil stuff, you have me intrigued.
I figured it wouldn't hurt to grab a can or two and hit the frame rails and axle.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts

Por15.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #316 ·
Nah. I'm down for the wax like coatings but not something that is an actual paint or undercoating. If it was raw metal I'd go Por15 or Eastwood stuff for sure but not on something factory fresh.

·
Registered
'18 Camry SE, '15 F150 XLT, '05 Golf, '91 GTI VR6
5,502 Posts
I told myself last year that I was going to undercoat my truck - didn't end up happening. May re-open that discussion again this year.

I'm inclined to go with a service provider that applies it annually - NH Oil Undercoating was a brand that stuck out to me, there are a few places around here that do it.

·
Banned
4,266 Posts
Got my new Contis put on yesterday. So far I like em 😀.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Hoping I have time to get a coat of Jescar Power Lock on this weekend to finish it off before winter comes.

I have an early tee time with Dad on Sat, and 8 people coming over for a cookout later that evening. Thinking I can get it done Sunday or Monday. I’m out of town the week after Labor Day and the week after that for work so Sept is basically shot.

Leaves me with Oct. to winterize the house and backyard, switch yard tools around (mower for snowblower) etc. plus I still have to seal coat the driveway. Bleh. Truck and mower need an oil change, too. Might as well do the Ex while I’m at it, too.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #320 ·
That's a great looking tire! I'm not a fan of super aggressive off-road tires.

301 - 320 of 337 Posts