VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
321 - 337 of 337 Posts

·
Banned
4,266 Posts
That's a great looking tire! I'm not a fan of super aggressive off-road tires.
I love the way aggressive tires look, but I don’t want the compromise in ride, noise and wet performance. These excel in all of those categories while performing on par with the Michelin Defender LTX AT2 in dry, which is the benchmark IMO. These look 10x nicer though, and that’s why I went with them.

Now let’s see how long they last.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Camry SE, '15 F150 XLT, '05 Golf, '91 GTI VR6
5,503 Posts
I'm quickly realizing there are far more people in this world with access to large sums of money than I ever imagined.
Yeah, my little bro is a Navy vet that has always been the most frugal of us, drives a car that my folks gave him when he went in the service a decade ago, lives by himself and has a sweet test engineer gig making well over 6 figures - close to my wife’s and my combined income.

He’s been bending my ear about his Lightning reservation, which he was on the fence about until he recently cancelled it when they called him on it.

While he could afford the $20K extended range version - which he needs to make his monthly trip to base for Reserves weekend - he doesn’t want to because he’s too cheap lol.

I’m wondering how much the higher-interest environment is going to impact pricing in the short term. Even on my paltry $30K potential GTI purchase I was looking at several thousand in interest expense over the course of a 5-year loan compared to my previous low-interest loans.

·
Registered
16,838 Posts
Yeah, my little bro is a Navy vet that has always been the most frugal of us, drives a car that my folks gave him when he went in the service a decade ago, lives by himself and has a sweet test engineer gig making well over 6 figures - close to my wife’s and my combined income.

He’s been bending my ear about his Lightning reservation, which he was on the fence about until he recently cancelled it when they called him on it.

While he could afford the $20K extended range version - which he needs to make his monthly trip to base for Reserves weekend - he doesn’t want to because he’s too cheap lol.

I’m wondering how much the higher-interest environment is going to impact pricing in the short term. Even on my paltry $30K potential GTI purchase I was looking at several thousand in interest expense over the course of a 5-year loan compared to my previous low-interest loans.
For 20k can't he just pull over and recharge if it's only once a month?

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
For 20k can't he just pull over and recharge if it's only once a month?
My bigger question I asked him is why he needs a truck? He’s not hurting for money, and he still has the 2009 Jeep that is long paid-for and can be used for the Home Depot runs that he wants to use the Lightning for. IIRC he doesn’t have any heavy hauling needs, or space requirements - it’s just him and his dog.

I pointed him in the direction of something lighter duty like a Maverick or if he wants to go electric for his monthly drive to base, get a Tesla.

I think his thought train initially was “electric truck good” because at one point he also had a Cybertruck deposit. Even tho he has a manual Jeep and an E30 BMW, he’s not a yuge car guy.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Why the hell was fireside banned

• Helpful
Reactions: Mr. Bigglesworth

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
I know quality is job #1, but damn (same truck, mine):

Also damn: took me 18 months to notice they're different.

Passenger rear is the usual "extended" Ford style you find in the rear doors of their cars. Rear driver is the stubby configuration you'll find up front.

Not sure if intentional or not, and if so - what's the point?

Probably politics in a TCL thread.
I know he flirted with the line for a while. Guess it finally got 'im.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Adding my F150 to the group. 2020 5.0, XL, STX, FX4. Only mods are Husky floor liners, Bilstein 6112/5160s, Rotary Formed Weld Wheels (lighter than stock) and 275/60/20 Goodyear Ultraterrains.

Happy with the truck. Recommend the Bilsteins and floor liners (especially with kids). Tires are just okay. 33s look better and these are relatively light, but wet performance is so-so.

Considering a Bronco order, but not sure I want to give up the ease of tossing a MTB in the bed or the “limo” legroom in the rear.

if I keep it long term, only changes will be some Katzkin leather and maybe a leather raptor steering wheel swap. But a Magnuson supercharged 5.0 does sound fun!

·
Registered
2009 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited
3,305 Posts
Little bro just bought his first truck. Don't think he's been on here in quite some time. I'll try to get him to post some pics of his "Great Pumpkin".

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2022 Ford F150
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #337 ·
The leather steering wheel is something I need badly. Going from my awesome WRX steering wheel to the one in my truck is terrible. I'll probably just figure out the part number for a Lariat wheel. I considered the Tremor wheel for the orange stitching but I'm sure the price over a Lariat wheel will be silly.

321 - 337 of 337 Posts