VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
9681 - 9700 of 9744 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Finished putting my console/interior back together, swapped from lay flat vents (half of the fins broken) to oem golf vents, and recently buffed/polished my headlights. They look almost brand new which was pretty surprising.

·
Registered
mk4 12v vr6 gti
34 Posts
Put the Powerflex black series steering rack bushing in. I was able to get the old one out and the new in without loosening the subframe like suggested. Just put it up on ramps to do it.

·
Registered
01 Golf, and Jetta, Both 2.0aeg 5 speed, also a 99 beetle about to be for sale
240 Posts
on my golf I pulled my PS pump and took it apart looking for an issue. Had some wear on the fin puck, but looked okay enough. Going to replace it in the not immediate future. The spindle has a slight bend to it. Cool bunch of parts inside.

Found my DS rear hub had a bunch of play in my jetta yesterday while swapping in a pair of thick spring seats for another 3/4in of lift. Had one on hand luckily.

Found both PF hub bearings with a little play. Going to be doing some bearings this season I guess.

·
Registered
12,756 Posts
Put an AEM 340lph intank pump in it. No more Walbro 255

·
Registered
mk4 12v vr6 gti
34 Posts
Replaced the pressure side power steering hose. It was leaking from the crimped pieces on both ends, I guess it’s common. Sprayed everything to clean and be able to check for leaks and re-used the factory washers, they weren’t marked up at all and were flat, was reading that others on here had problems with leaks when using aftermarket washers. Checked for leaks after refilling, there aren’t any and it’s good go to 🤙.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Replaced the sparkplugs on our 2001 Jetta 2.0L (146k miles). Out with the Autolite Platinums and In with the NGK Iridiums.

The #3 cylinder's plug (replaced under previous owner) was actually 1-2 turns loose when I went to remove it!!

All the old plugs (L to R, Cyl.1 to Cyl.4)
Jewellery Audio equipment Auto part Body jewelry Metal

New vs. Old (Cyl.1 plug shown)
Household hardware Nickel Auto part Screw Metal

I also replaced the pulley on the serpentine belt tensioner, as it was making a little noise that would quiet if I hit it with a little WD40. That tensioner&pulley was newly installed this past summer, so I was surprised it started getting noisy already.

·
Registered
mk4 12v vr6 gti
34 Posts
When I bought my car, 2001 vr6 gti, I was told the cats were falling apart and could hear what was thought to be pieces of them rattling around. The o2 sensor was also spaced out to clear the code for the cats. I have been clearing the code every couple days.

The code was P1176, which from searching told me it's for the rear o2 sensor. I replaced the downstream o2 sensor and removed the o2 sensor spacer also, not sure what was in there but replaced it with the Denso one. The rattling is gone and went for a drive and no CEL so far, hopefully having a tight connection and a fresh sensor will keep the code form coming back.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Replaced the sparkplugs on our 2001 Jetta 2.0L (146k miles). Out with the Autolite Platinums and In with the NGK Iridiums.

The #3 cylinder's plug (replaced under previous owner) was actually 1-2 turns loose when I went to remove it!!

All the old plugs (L to R, Cyl.1 to Cyl.4)
View attachment 131466

New vs. Old (Cyl.1 plug shown)
View attachment 131468

I also replaced the pulley on the serpentine belt tensioner, as it was making a little noise that would quiet if I hit it with a little WD40. That tensioner&pulley was newly installed this past summer, so I was surprised it started getting noisy already.

I want to warn you about WD, When it gets in a bearing it removes all the grease. It is not a good product for much IMO. Spraying bare metal in storage so it doesn't rust, and removing tar are its best uses. If you got any in the bearing of the pulley it would toast it. I worked as a bike mechanic for over a decade and have seen a bunch of bikes victims of the wd. I have opened the hubs and seen all the clean bearings with a ring of grease just to the side of them. It can be an expensive mistake.

But how are them iridiums for you? did you get some miles in yet? and funny the 2.0 don't care if a plug is finger loose. Good old 2.0.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'll withhold my feedback on the Iridiums until I replace the exhaust down pipe and flex joint (the part is supposed to arrive today).

Funny thing on those plugs, my daughter's '06 R52S Mini uses the exact same ones. They have been running great in there, but we've only put about 100 miles on them, so far.

Thanks for the experience on WD40. I'll be more careful with where I use it! I just did a quick spritz on the existing tensioner pulley bearing to try and figure out if it was the source of the noise (which it was). The new pulley is now installed.

·
Registered
mk4 12v vr6 gti
34 Posts
Replaced the rear brake pads and rotors with Powerstop OE replacement parts. also, made sure the slides were working properly and greased them, then went for a drive to bed them in.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Replaced the downpipe/flex-joint on our 2001 Jetta wagon 2.0 with a part from Bear River Converters. I used a band clamp for the joint between it and the catalytic converter, and installed a new exhaust mount at the converter, too.
Then I changed the manual transmission fluid (used Redline MT90). The old fluid actually didn't look to dark (it had 146k miles on it), and there were no particles or metallic sheen in it.
Last, I installed the winter tires. All set for the snow!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Swapped in a new PS pump, When I pulled my liner there was some coolant drops. Looks like a crack at the base of the inlet to the radiator. Ordered an all aluminum replacement. OE+

·
Registered
240 Posts
well, ebay seller was way fast on shipping me my new radiator and that thing is already in the car. I swapped it with the support in place. Drop the fans, un-mount the a/c radiator, drop old out, new in. Was tight, and I did need to do some slight mods, Cut the bottom tab from the A/C stuff the mounts the the bottom of the driverside of the OE radiator, Gave the canister and that exit tube by the mount a bit more spread apart as the aluminum side caps are bigger in the new radiator. Then a little on the fan shroud around where the sensor mounts.

·
Registered
912 Posts
well, ebay seller was way fast on shipping me my new radiator and that thing is already in the car. I swapped it with the support in place. Drop the fans, un-mount the a/c radiator, drop old out, new in. Was tight, and I did need to do some slight mods, Cut the bottom tab from the A/C stuff the mounts the the bottom of the driverside of the OE radiator, Gave the canister and that exit tube by the mount a bit more spread apart as the aluminum side caps are bigger in the new radiator. Then a little on the fan shroud around where the sensor mounts.
I always hated the radiators on MK4's. I did a radiator swap and removed the whole support. Interesting to see you did it without removed the support!

and got to see my car in a calendar
This is clean! Is it a MK4 dedicated calendar or just modified cars? Any chance on getting some??

9681 - 9700 of 9744 Posts