VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
9701 - 9720 of 9744 Posts

·
Registered
01 Golf, and Jetta, Both 2.0aeg 5 speed, also a 99 beetle about to be for sale
240 Posts
I always hated the radiators on MK4's. I did a radiator swap and removed the whole support. Interesting to see you did it without removed the support!

This is clean! Is it a MK4 dedicated calendar or just modified cars? Any chance on getting some??
I did this once before. Actually the first thing I fixed with my jetta as it had a cracked radiator end cap when I bought it. I undid the fans and they drop out the bottom. Undid the radiator mounts and there are access holes to the ac tabs that mount to the back side of the radiator, Then it will drop out the bottom.

lots of patience and a strap to go around and hold it from dropping out unexpectedly. The new rad needed some extra clearence and I was able to do that without pulling it back out. Fits really snug. Needed a longer screw for the upper driver side mount. I also did the o-ring fix on the connectors. This is a mishimoto clone/unbrand. The O-rings seem to do the trick. nice tight fit. I am waiting on a frick'n coolant temp sensor now. . . . . .

I was eyeing what I would do replacing the oem support for something custom. Weld something between the upper metal brace and the bumper and add in some radiator mounts, and the mounting points for the bumper cover maybe. Come down low and put in a radiator guard that comes back and has an s3 brace between the front control arm mounts. Hmmmm maybe I should put some pants on for the day

·
Registered
997 Posts
I always hated the radiators on MK4's. I did a radiator swap and removed the whole support. Interesting to see you did it without removed the support!

This is clean! Is it a MK4 dedicated calendar or just modified cars? Any chance on getting some??
mk4 dedicated calendar! goto www.savethemk4.com
preorder is on now for $20.00

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
560 Posts
Installed some ECS shifter bracket bushings and a Dieselgeek short shifter. Went for a cruise and put it to sleep for the winter. Also sold my Forster XT so was in the market for a car but could not talk my self into paying an extra 3-5k on a car so I went old man mode and found a super clean Buick lol was originally looking at a mk7 GTI or Alltrack but going to wait until prices come back to earth....hopefully.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Installed some ECS shifter bracket bushings and a Dieselgeek short shifter. Went for a cruise and put it to sleep for the winter. Also sold my Forster XT so was in the market for a car but could not talk my self into paying an extra 3-5k on a car so I went old man mode and found a super clean Buick lol was originally looking at a mk7 GTI or Alltrack but going to wait until prices come back to earth....hopefully.

I hear you with the current used car market, it's still pretty nuts. Certainly makes me want to keep my mk4 and mk2 Gtis. I see a lot of people selling, then what happens when you miss it and want to buy another.. Who knows what their value will do in the next year or two?
It must be quite a change driving a Buick, pretty cushy I'd imagine.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I hear you with the current used car market, it's still pretty nuts. Certainly makes me want to keep my mk4 and mk2 Gtis. I see a lot of people selling, then what happens when you miss it and want to buy another.. Who knows what their value will do in the next year or two?
It must be quite a change driving a Buick, pretty cushy I'd imagine.
Yeah such a good point. Also super tough to find clean ones by me in the Midwest. So many rust buckets.

The Buick is like driving a pillow compared to my mk4 with the Koni Yellows haha. The v6 has a decent amount of power too. However turning feels like im in a boat hahah.

·
Registered
mk4 12v vr6 gti
34 Posts
Removed the resonator and replaced with a piece of pipe. While I was doing that, I took the opportunity to start the car with no exhaust from the cat back. It’s got me thinking of straight piping it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
The Buick is like driving a pillow compared to my mk4 with the Koni Yellows haha. The v6 has a decent amount of power too. However turning feels like im in a boat hahah.
Going from a Hatch, especially one with suspension upgrades, to anything else will feel like driving a boat lol

When I stepped in my parents Toyota Hilux for the first time and drove I felt like the car was going to roll over lol

·
Registered
912 Posts
Removed the resonator and replaced with a piece of pipe. While I was doing that, I took the opportunity to start the car with no exhaust from the cat back. It’s got me thinking of straight piping it.
Seeing your description of having a VR6 I personally would install a complete aftermarket exhaust system. Full de-cat and straight pipe all the way to the back where you would have a smaller muffler.
But that's my personal preference. I love the loudness of straight pipe but sometimes I also like to be quiet and stealthy, especially when driving past the local law enforcement

Or maybe an exhaust valve! That could also work

·
Registered
01 GTI GLX , 2 03 RS6s
201 Posts
I tore down n lubed my wiper assembly in hopes of resurrecting it but alas. The gear in the motor is completely stripped. The arms wipe really easily when not attached however so I guess with a new motor they'll work great. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
mk4 12v vr6 gti
34 Posts
Seeing your description of having a VR6 I personally would install a complete aftermarket exhaust system. Full de-cat and straight pipe all the way to the back where you would have a smaller muffler.
But that's my personal preference. I love the loudness of straight pipe but sometimes I also like to be quiet and stealthy, especially when driving past the local law enforcement

Or maybe an exhaust valve! That could also work
I thought about getting a straight pipe made at an exhaust shop. For the time being I'm just using the stock muffler.

·
Registered
01 Golf, and Jetta, Both 2.0aeg 5 speed, also a 99 beetle about to be for sale
240 Posts
you could go my route and find a SS megan muffler and resonator at the junk yard for $30, then spend another $30 on some SS elbows and pipe, Then drop $500 on a tig welder and some argon tanks, couple regulators, a welding mask, and some tig rod. Took me like a year to bring it all to fruition.

I have no real understanding of how it sounds either. Like it is good from the drivers seat, but I have never heard it from any other perspective.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The previous owner had installed just a Magnaflow rear muffler on the stock system, and it sounded terrible. Horrible drone, and would vibrate everything around 2k RPMs.

I ran a stock 2.0L muffler for awhile just to keep things quiet, but it suffocated the car pretty badly. Now that it can breathe, it feels and sounds much better.

·
Registered
mk4 12v vr6 gti
34 Posts
Replaced the front suspension today, and all the mounts and bolts. Got it all from ecs. Did the passenger side first because everyone on here says it’s the worst, you all were right. The driver’s side went a lot easier.

Also replaced the front sway bar and link bushings with poly ones.

Then went for a drive around the block, in the dark, and in my excitement left the wheel lock key in the lug bolt…and it’s gone now. So I’ll be stopping by the shop tomorrow to have all the locks removed and will be putting regular lug bolts in.

·
Registered
912 Posts
The previous owner had installed just a Magnaflow rear muffler on the stock system, and it sounded terrible. Horrible drone, and would vibrate everything around 2k RPMs.

I ran a stock 2.0L muffler for awhile just to keep things quiet, but it suffocated the car pretty badly. Now that it can breathe, it feels and sounds much better.
I had a full Milltek exhaust system. 3 inch decat downpipe and 2.5 inch non res catback. Nice and quiet but when you opened the throttle she started to sing. Especially above 3k rpm when the wastegate opens.

9701 - 9720 of 9744 Posts