VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

225701 - 225720 of 228198 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,248 Posts
I'm now wondering if my sparky knocked a wire nut loose when installing the transfer panel.
That is a possibility, if the neutral is also switched.

If you call the power company, apparently the code word is "flickering".

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
Electricity is so fun. Whenever my washer machine on a dedicated circuit agitates and the motor surges, I'm getting a couple lights flickering on circuits that are on the opposite 120v leg/bus. Methinks a bad neutral somewhere. Internet says it's probably on the utility side. What say you guys?

I've already run my underwear through the rinse cycle 3 times while troubleshooting :laugh:
How bad is the flicker? We had that at our old house (old Federal Pacific breakers) with an old heavy-duty top-load washer when it was agitating. No one else really noticed it, but to me it was like the slight dimming you get when you turn on a space heater or window A/C that's on the same outlet as a lamp or something. Except it wasn't a one-time dim, it was on-off-on-off-on-off as the machine labored/rested/labored/rested.

That washer died and we replaced it with a front-loader that, I assume, didn't have huge intermittent inrush as its direct-drive motor runs continuously and gradually ramps up instead of constantly going on/off/on/off.

When we first moved into the house we're in now, the dryer would turn on but wouldn't heat. Turns out when they remodeled it, only one had been connected on the circuit going to the laundry room. They sent an electrician out, he poked around a little and fixed it in a few minutes, laughing the whole time.

·
You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can
6,111 Posts
That's actually quite popular. People bowhunt mallards (ducks) all the time.

A lot of people prefer to bowhunt deer around here because the season is so long (September-March) whereas there are only a handful of weekends and one week to rifle hunt.

Mallard hunting industry is yuuuuuuuuge in Arkansas. Anyways, here's a bowhunting video.
That's pretty cool. I see bow hunting as more of a zen approach, quietly stalk the prey, wait for the absolute right moment, then it's lights out. Patience and skill determine the outcome. So much more sporting than sitting in a tree stand or blind.

I'm not a hunter but love shooting clay. I respect those that choose and enjoy controlling the game population as well as the many of us that would rather just buy our meat at a market.

I'm just a wimp that can't do the deed.

Edit: At first I though I was going to watch a Quick Dick Mcdick video, same introduction music. :laugh:

·
Registered
38,451 Posts
Outlets upstairs are 8 years old, new ones in the basement are 8 weeks old. Everything is still working just peachy. I have two shared neutral circuits in the house—problem was still occurring with those breakers switched entirely off. In fact, it's happening with all the breakers but the washer circuit switched completely off. I would suspect my subpanel/transfer panel, but the washer does not run through that panel. I'll need to test the washer outlets today (and check the neutral connection at the bar), and I'll probably pull them and inspect them while I'm at it.

My washer, dryer and sump pump circuits all share the same run of conduit, and the outlets terminate in three consecutive boxes: washer | dryer | sump pump. My sump pump is tied into the transfer panel...I'm now wondering if my sparky knocked a wire nut loose when installing the transfer panel.
I'm under the impression that is is how **** is wired sometimes.

A-J are outlets. There are four breakers (B1-4) and two neutrals (N1-2)

In this case, outlets A-F are working fine.
G-J do not work
G-J are on four different breakers.
Every outlet tests hot with a sniffer stick.

J is the bad outlet and where the neutral is dropped, killing functionality on everything before it.

You end up scratching your head because how in the world is B1 dead, and SOME outlets on four other breakers don't work. It sucks because the neutrals are behind the wall, and you have no idea how they are routed.

At one point, our electrician pulled out a 50' extension cord with two male plugs on it. She found a known good socket, and plugged it in. She then went to all the dead outlets and started plugging it in to them one at a time. Between moving the tester further down the line, she was able to figure out the neutral route, and then identify where it was dropped.

·
Registered
16,248 Posts
Indiana made the top ten! wooo....ait a minute. dang.

Top ten most hated states:
1. New Jersey
2. Texas
3. California
4. Oklahoma
5. Florida
6. Michigan
7. Kentucky
8. Indiana
9. Alabama
10. Kansas

NM was no. 18 which surprises me, seems 2/3 of Americans don't even think/know it is a State.

·
How do I resize a picture?
17,669 Posts
That's pretty cool. I see bow hunting as more of a zen approach, quietly stalk the prey, wait for the absolute right moment, then it's lights out. Patience and skill determine the outcome. So much more sporting than sitting in a tree stand or blind.
Then there's the part when you shoot them, and they suffocate as their lungs fill up with blood.

Whereas with a properly placed rifle round the organs hit turn into a puddle of goop and the animal drops dead immediately. When you shoot a deer with an arrow you generally have to stay in the tree for a minute. They'll lay down after they get shot, but it can take a minute or two for them to finish suffocating, and if you get down they'll jump up and try to run off. Then you've got to track them and that's a huge pain in the ass. Specifically because they always run downhill, so when you find them you've got to drag their big heavy ass up a hill in the woods too dense for a fourwheeler or side by side.

Besides all that, hunting deer is a blast. :laugh:

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'12 Earth F**ker '12 A4q '18 Q3
17,414 Posts

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Granted I've only driven through NM to get to OK, but I can't imagine why anyone would hate NM. The Green Chile/food alone should make it the absolute least hated state. IMO.
For real !

We have hatch green chili stands all over CO that mostly come in from southern CO and NM

Funny, I'm actually stopping at my favorite place after work to get my bushel , they roast them right there in front of you and you just let them steam in the bag for an hour and then package them up in Ziplocs for the freezer.

I'll use them all year long that way :thumbup:

·
17,669 Posts
How can people hate Indiana? I don't think I could name one meaningful thing about Indiana.
I-70 through Illinois is a well maintained stretch of interstate. Then you hit the state border, and from the west side of Indiana to the east side, it's nothing but pot holes. Huge pot holes. In fact, there were some so large I'd lift my legs thinking the car was going to fall apart.

Besides Indianapolis. You get right outside Indianapolis and I-70 is paved with gold, it's super well manicured, no pot holes, smooth as can be. Then you exit Indianapolis to the east and start driving through missile craters again.

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Why would anyone hate Nebraska? Nebraska may be the most boring/no drama state. I don't know jack isht about Nebraska
Looks just like this across 95% of it:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
How bad is the flicker? We had that at our old house (old Federal Pacific breakers) with an old heavy-duty top-load washer when it was agitating. No one else really noticed it, but to me it was like the slight dimming you get when you turn on a space heater or window A/C that's on the same outlet as a lamp or something. Except it wasn't a one-time dim, it was on-off-on-off-on-off as the machine labored/rested/labored/rested.
It is *exactly* that. If you weren't looking for it, you wouldn't notice it.

Here's the other thing: I am the last house on the pole. End of the run before the north half of the block. Everyone else pulls a load before me. Keeping that in mind, one other thing I noticed recently when I was in my garage...someone on the block behind me fired up a miter saw or a big ass corded framing saw, and MY garage lights flickered. I think I'm gonna call the utility now that I remember that.

Update - "Hi, my lights recently dimmed multiple times when someone on the block behind me fired up a big ass saw" was all it took to open a ticket for a technician visit this afternoon. "Say no more, buddy." :laugh:

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
4 sections
Leftmost pane - email folders
Next pane - inbox
next pane - preview
next pane - calendar/meetings
Exactly :thumbup:

Without the reading pane.... huge pain

We hate AZ too!! ^5
EVERYONE from AZ and NV hates CA. You guys F up the traffic in LV so bad we would all leave for the weekends :laugh:

Then there's the part when you shoot them, and they suffocate as their lungs fill up with blood.

Whereas with a properly placed rifle round the organs hit turn into a puddle of goop and the animal drops dead immediately. When you shoot a deer with an arrow you generally have to stay in the tree for a minute. They'll lay down after they get shot, but it can take a minute or two for them to finish suffocating, and if you get down they'll jump up and try to run off. Then you've got to track them and that's a huge pain in the ass. Specifically because they always run downhill, so when you find them you've got to drag their big heavy ass up a hill in the woods too dense for a fourwheeler or side by side.

Yeah I'll take a hard pass on that. I bet I would cry

I-70 through Illinois is a well maintained stretch of interstate. Then you hit the state border, and from the west side of Indiana to the east side, it's nothing but pot holes. Huge pot holes. In fact, there were some so large I'd lift my legs thinking the car was going to fall apart.

Besides Indianapolis. You get right outside Indianapolis and I-70 is paved with gold, it's super well manicured, no pot holes, smooth as can be. Then you exit Indianapolis to the east and start driving through missile craters again.
I got a ticket in Indiana once ... it was where the limit went from 70 to 50 and I had not yet slowed down... total trap. They will always be on my top ten hated for the isht :thumbdown::thumbdown:

Regarding IL, I'm from MN so they are a close 3rd to WI and ND :laugh:

·
6,111 Posts

I do see both side of the approach. I remember my father telling me a couple stories of when he and buddies would have to track a buck for a mile or more to find them. It might have been a close shot but just not enough to bleed out. His hunting days were long before I was born so I never saw what you experienced growing up.

Sort of glad I missed it because I'm from a totally different environment, but it does go back to a mindset of self sufficiency which I'm all about.

Anyways, good chat. :thumbup:

·
6,111 Posts
How can people hate Indiana? I don't think I could name one meaningful thing about Indiana.
Great corn and soybean fields, which is alot like Ohio. And I made a nice road trip there recently to buy a great Stanley Number 5 plane there last month.

Other than the 5 major population centers of my state it's just a giant sea of green. From my travels most of the US is pretty similar.

·
17,669 Posts
Even a deer shot with a rifle will run a little. Mine got about a half mile before bleeding out, and I got it in the heat.
I've had it go both ways. I've shot them and had them drop dead immediately. (always poke a deer in the eye with a stick or something when you approach it to make sure it's dead)

Then I've also had some run off. Every deer is different.

People aren't much different. Sometimes they try to run off, sometimes they just drop.

225701 - 225720 of 228198 Posts