VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

227761 - 227780 of 232459 Posts

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
What about paper straws? Is your cafeteria using those bad boys that force you to drink your beverage in 2 minutes?
Apparently I have the best luck in the world with paper straws, I've always run out of drink or had the ice fully melted before the straw suffered structural deficiency.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
So Dave Chappelle is telling his fans to boycott watching The Dave Chappelle show because he's not getting paid money for the reruns to be on air and/or on a streaming service.

Reading the entire article, Chappelle signed a contract with ViacomCBS, and it apparently didn't include ancillary rights. He admits to signing a contract. Then walking away from that contract. And somehow, none of this is his fault.
Nothing wrong with him using his social clout as leverage to try for a better deal, though.

·
Registered
83,190 Posts
There is always room for fried potatoes.

Reactions: Sporin

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts

Come watch me waste more money folks!!!
Ha ha - in on this, but I will say I thought you didn't love the C7.5 A6 as much as you said you do in that thread, but maybe I'm thinking of something else...

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'12 Earth F**ker '12 A4q '18 Q3
17,761 Posts
Nothing wrong with him using his social clout as leverage to try for a better deal, though.
No, but you don't go trashing a company because you f**ked up. He is the one who signed a $50m deal and ran away.

·
Registered
2018 Atlas R-Line; 2019 330xi M-Sport
32,648 Posts
Deal? He has no room to negotiate. He walked away from the deal years and years ago. Viacom can do whatever they want with the show.

Netflix only caved because he has (had?) a contract with him for his standup specials. They probably don't want him to walk away from that contract too.

·
Just Going with the FLO.
2,315 Posts
that's right....God knows the tortilla soup was nasty looking, maybe they can do better with Turtle soup

·
Registered
29,738 Posts
My galley-style kitchen has 1980's track lighting (a bank of four 75W PAR30S floods).

Two of the floods burned out in the last 24 hours. Coincidence??

·
Nothing is Real
1,806 Posts
Deal? He has no room to negotiate. He walked away from the deal years and years ago. Viacom can do whatever they want with the show.

Netflix only caved because he has (had?) a contract with him for his standup specials. They probably don't want him to walk away from that contract too.
I think the message is more about should standard continue to involve the creator having to sign a **** contract and own none of their creation just so they can make their art/vision/what have you? Why shouldn’t the creative entity have ownership over their creation. I think he’s trying to shed light on the industry standard in order to create change. Look at why so many people have gone to independent podcasting and so many comics are producing their own specials and putting them on YouTube for free.

Hell, Taylor swift is re-recording her earlier work in an effort to retain some ownership since she can’t even buy her masters or whatever ****ed up situation is going on over there.

The fact that he had to sign away his likeness right in perpetuity just to be able to do the show is ridiculous. It’s time the industry changed.

·
17,761 Posts
I think the message is more about should standard continue to involve the creator having to sign a **** contract and own none of their creation just so they can make their art/vision/what have you? Why shouldn’t the creative entity have ownership over their creation. I think he’s trying to shed light on the industry standard in order to create change. Look at why so many people have gone to independent podcasting and so many comics are producing their own specials and putting them on YouTube for free.

Hell, Taylor swift is re-recording her earlier work in an effort to retain some ownership since she can’t even buy her masters or whatever ****ed up situation is going on over there.

The fact that he had to sign away his likeness right in perpetuity just to be able to do the show is ridiculous. It’s time the industry changed.
Chappelle's situation happened just before streaming became a thing. He didn't foresee the growth of streaming services. He didn't believe the Internet. Now he's trying to recoup his nearsighted mistakes.

Should artists control their work regardless of medium? Sure, future-proof that in your contracts. But there's a reason why copyrights expire. And that's why people are taking control of their own product distribution.

You make a deal with the devil, you're going to get burned.

If it's your own work, own it. Don't sell it.

And even then, unscrupulous a**holes will still try to make a buck off your property. Ask Bill Watterson.

·
Nothing is Real
1,806 Posts
I remember when my dad told me that Michael Jackson owned all the Beatles songs. I couldn't wrap my head around it.
I bet Chappelle would have future-proofed it if he could but I bet at the time that was how contracts were and there was no budging on that clause. Back then you couldn't own your own work and have anyone see it. It is still this way in many cases. I've heard many people talk about trying to get a show made even just 10 years ago, and how the suits make all these changes and you can't do anything about it. But how else would you get a payday and/or have your work seen (back then)? It's hard to see the road ahead and often times you take the best deal in front of you because it is all you have. I'm glad to see that changing with more self produced/distributed content.

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,403 Posts
Dave Chapelle has no room to be upset with Viacom. He signed the contract, then stepped away from it. Sorry bud, that show is theirs, and they can do whatever they want with it.

·
Registered
RS3, JKU
18,695 Posts
Dave Chapelle has no room to be upset with Viacom. He signed the contract, then stepped away from it. Sorry bud, that show is theirs, and they can do whatever they want with it.
This happens in music all the time. There are so many bands that are broke now because the record company owns all the rights. Either the band didn't know any better, or they don't get a record deal without signing that type of contract, etc. I don't know if that should be legal, they should cap it at 50/50 or something like that.

·
17,761 Posts
I remember when my dad told me that Michael Jackson owned all the Beatles songs. I couldn't wrap my head around it.
I bet Chappelle would have future-proofed it if he could but I bet at the time that was how contracts were and there was no budging on that clause. Back then you couldn't own your own work and have anyone see it. It is still this way in many cases. I've heard many people talk about trying to get a show made even just 10 years ago, and how the suits make all these changes and you can't do anything about it. But how else would you get a payday and/or have your work seen (back then)? It's hard to see the road ahead and often times you take the best deal in front of you because it is all you have. I'm glad to see that changing with more self produced/distributed content.
Like I said; If you want to own your content, own it; don't sell it.

Yeah, that's easy to say. But everything comes in life with a compromise. If you want to really own something, don't compromise. And if you made a s**ty deal, own up to it. Don't try to rewrite the past.

How many content providers are there these days? Distribution providers? Tons. A lot more than 40 years ago when it was the big 3. Then cable. Now streaming. And all of them are in business making money.

·
Nothing is Real
1,806 Posts
Like I said; If you want to own your content, own it; don't sell it.

Yeah, that's easy to say. But everything comes in life with a compromise. If you want to really own something, don't compromise. And if you made a s**ty deal, own up to it. Don't try to rewrite the past.

How many content providers are there these days? Distribution providers? Tons. A lot more than 40 years ago when it was the big 3. Then cable. Now streaming. And all of them are in business making money.
17 years ago Chappell didn’t have the “juice” to be able to make a deal where he could have ownership. That’s the sad part about the industry. So his compromise was sell his soul to make a show which ended up becoming very successful and the only ones profiting from it are the suits.

If he didn’t compromise we probably would have ever seen the show because no one is going to give a guy at his level back then that much control over a show.

Obviously it’s much easier to own your stuff these days.

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,403 Posts
This happens in music all the time. There are so many bands that are broke now because the record company owns all the rights. Either the band didn't know any better, or they don't get a record deal without signing that type of contract, etc. I don't know if that should be legal, they should cap it at 50/50 or something like that.
When stuff like this happens it always makes me think of the people who get f*cked buying cars at BHPH lots. Payments are way too high, they miss one, car gets repo'd, and it's "I had no idea".

Yeah, it sucks, but at the same time, why are you being forced to buy a car at a place like that? What did you do to f*ck up your credit so bad? I'm not saying it's okay to take advantage of people, but come on, have some common sense.

227761 - 227780 of 232459 Posts