VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

227861 - 227880 of 230697 Posts

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
Oh, nice. It's a holiday, so there will be gunfire from the yokels. At midnight.

·
Registered
23,253 Posts
We typically see the small paper police blotters filled with DUI reports and such over the weekend. Mrs. DonL mentioned that with bars restricted and so many people staying at home, the police will probably have a quieter year than usual. Except, of course, for our own holiday five-minute-firework-flurry yahoo down the block.

·
Registered
10,148 Posts
First time doing collard greens, mashed potatoes, and a turkey myself. It all came out fantastic. We ordered stuffing and mac & cheese from a local place (ridiculously overpriced) but man, everything came out so good. Proud and happy we managed to do a solo meal together.

·
I got a poop emoji! CHEVY!!
11,833 Posts
First time doing collard greens, mashed potatoes, and a turkey myself. It all came out fantastic. We ordered stuffing and mac & cheese from a local place (ridiculously overpriced) but man, everything came out so good. Proud and happy we managed to do a solo meal together.
Nice dude.

Different for us this year too. We usually have a house full, was just us this year. Did awesome carving the bird but only got to brag to the wife and kids. :ROFLMAO:

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'12 Earth F**ker '12 A4q '18 Q3
17,761 Posts
Wife took out another windshield in the Heep last night :poop:. I'm pretty sure the next one will be number 6
Start having her drive with the windshield down.

1. Having COVID the second time is no better than the first.
  2. Moving while sick is no fun.
  3. Not being able to taste food on Thanksgiving is just as bad as 1 and 2 combined.
  4. Don't die out there.
Well 💩 . You'll be better by Christmas, so you can enjoy a great big pile of steaming lasagna. That's Italian for enchilada.

Since when did The Onion go legit?

When my sister got there she refused to come inside the house and forced my parents to wear masks both inside and out. We ate on the patio outside and she ate on a TV tray about 15 feet from the table. I asked my parents why they didn’t just cancel if she was going to be this way? They were obviously comfortable around me and didn’t mask up (inside their home) until she got there. I told them I’m skipping Christmas this year.

I’m not against anyone wanting to protect themselves. I’m not anti mask. I’m anti my sister having to always find some way to focus attention on her and instead of canceling she insisted on coming and making everyone dance around her needs. Much like her fake gluten intolerance. Listening to her spout off about why she won’t come in the house sounded about as genuine as a $3 bill.

Ok. I’m done. Off to have a fire pit.
That meat kinda looks like the one I did. I smoked both brisket and turkey. Both were delicious.

Oh, nice. It's a holiday, so there will be gunfire from the yokels. At midnight.
Damn... where's that? I could have gone for some trigger therapy. Even in hickville around me it was pretty quiet last night. Some guy does light off fireworks during the Seahawks games, though.

·
Registered
29,430 Posts
TIL Japan is only 26.5mi (43km) from Russia!
Cape Sōya to Cape Crillon.
Huh.

·
Registered
82,894 Posts

·
Registered
23,253 Posts
TIL Japan is only 26.5mi (43km) from Russia!
Cape Sōya to Cape Crillon.
Huh.
And they're still fighting, or at least strongly disagreeing, about some of those islands out there. There's a lot of weirdness in that area. Like South Korean airlines flying from Incheon to Vladivostok take a long route around NK airspace that adds about 40 minutes to their flight time.

So many times I stop during teaching and think "holy **** my child is so dumb"

I'm really not cut out for this.
I know it's frustrating as hell sometimes, Greg. Hang in there, though. Kids learn differently and at different rates using different methods. Allow yourself grace as a teacher/parent. Keep trying new things, new incentives, get input from other parents and teachers, keep trying new things. You'll find something that clicks. And if the kids have challenges, see about adapting the curriculum to better match the kiddos.

·
Registered
23,253 Posts
How many of you dorks do regular resets on your phones? On a regular basis, or just when needed?

After watching Mrs. DonL fight with her old phone last night, I spent most of the morning backing up and resetting my phone. It previously updated from Android 10 to 11, and there was some lagging, some flakiness, and I'm sure a lot of bloat and unneeded crap built up over the last almost year. Fresh 11 install, got to ditch unused apps, and I kinda forgot how nice a fresh phone runs, and the battery life seems better, too.

·
Registered
10,148 Posts
So many times I stop during teaching and think "holy **** my child is so dumb"

I'm really not cut out for this.
Dude, this is one of my biggest fears. I'm not the most patient person with the "you should know this" kinda stuff and I dread the thought of making my child feel bad. I think what you're feeling, under the circumstances is normal.

It's not like YOUR child is dumb, kids are tough. And dumb!

·
Registered
29,430 Posts
And they're still fighting, or at least strongly disagreeing, about some of those islands out there. There's a lot of weirdness in that area. Like South Korean airlines flying from Incheon to Vladivostok take a long route around NK airspace that adds about 40 minutes to their flight time.
I would gladly take the longer route to avoid NK airspace. Dat place be crae.

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,092 Posts
I once famously paid an extra $300 for a direct flight just to avoid a layover in Ohio.
Basically the same as flying over North Korea if we're honest.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I know it's frustrating as hell sometimes, Greg. Hang in there, though. Kids learn differently and at different rates using different methods. Allow yourself grace as a teacher/parent. Keep trying new things, new incentives, get input from other parents and teachers, keep trying new things. You'll find something that clicks. And if the kids have challenges, see about adapting the curriculum to better match the kiddos.
It's just so damn maddening. Makes me furious at people who won't mask up or are just selfish. End this damn pandemic so school can be open and my kid can go back to 'normal' learning.

Dude, this is one of my biggest fears. I'm not the most patient person with the "you should know this" kinda stuff and I dread the thought of making my child feel bad. I think what you're feeling, under the circumstances is normal.

It's not like YOUR child is dumb, kids are tough. And dumb!
Last assessment showed her IQ is fine, she just needs to get the train on the tracks. Like I showed her 3 ways to add tens and ones including abacus methods and once it caught she knocked problems out in seconds. Just infuriates me trying to get there.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Son #1 seems to struggle learning new things, even after trying different methods of teaching, and then completely wizzes through it the next week.

Patience. I don't have enough of it, and kids demand all of it.

·
Registered
RS3, JKU
18,404 Posts
So this might be a little personal for Vortex or whatever, but I feel like sharing

As I mentioned before it's my Dad's 70th in just over a week, and my sister is putting together a photo album type thing so the other night I was looking through some old albums and stuff my paternal grandmother left me. Flipping through the pages, this photo hit me like a ton of bricks. I don't think I have ever seen it before. This is a picture of my mom with her parents a few days before my parents got married, so it would have been November of 1976. My mother was originally from New Brunswick and the vast majority of my aunts, uncles and cousins all still live out east. She came here to Vancouver in the summer of '74 to spend a few months with some other family here. She met my dad (on a blind date no less) and the rest is history. I only ever actually met my maternal grandparents about eight times in my life. I know they were decent, hard working people. My mom was the second youngest of nine, but she was left as the youngest when unfortunately her younger brother died at 22 of heart problems only a year or so before this photo was taken.

My grandfather in this photo passed about fourteen years ago, and my grandmother two, and my mother in 2013. I am not a religious person but I hope in some way they are doing this type of thing all together again (y) . Today would have been my mother's 68th birthday :).

227861 - 227880 of 230697 Posts