VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

230581 - 230600 of 232669 Posts

·
Just Going with the FLO.
2,323 Posts
Popeye's FTW (at least in taste department)

I haven't had fried chick from any of those places in a long time (5 yrs?)

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
That's part of what makes the stores work. Consistent owner involvement and attention to detail. From what I understand, the requirement is owner/direct family must be in the store for a % of the time the store is open. From what I have seen, the primary owner-op isn't working a 70hr week but he/she has a kid or family member that is in the store all the time. If my wife takes the kids on a road trip by herself, she will ONLY stop at chick fil as if they have to eat - even the busiest CFA on 95 that I have seen has a clean dining room and bathroom.
CFA wants hands on "owners" thus the one business rule. They don't want passive owners who aren't 100% committed. But I wouldn't be surprised that "owners" don't work close to 70 hours a week especially in the beginning as they learn the business, handle paperwork, reordering, do training, etc.

It's a good income but without true ownership of the business, it's just a job and one you had to pay $10K for.

OTOH, my cousin had probably 100 Dunkin Donuts outlets in SE MA and central NH. He started with one shop while his wife worked her own business. He put in crazy hours, kept buying, became one of the owners of a central bakery supplying a big chunk of the Boston area, and bankrolled other franchisees. After 15 years or so, he had a really great business and was able to enjoy life. He wound up selling most of the outlets, kept the real estate, and acts as financier for new franchisees.

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda, Ducati
35,134 Posts
It's a good income but without true ownership of the business, it's just a job and one you had to pay $10K for.
You've typed this twice now. How is it any different from any other training, like... college, tech school, night classes, etcetera? Those usually cost more than $10,000. There must be something if there are people fighting over franchise rights, and I don't think spending ten grand is the issue.

·
Registered
CarTruck, Wagon
10,747 Posts
the plan we settled on... err wife decided. the wall won't be there, eventually when i have money again, i'll put an outdoor kitchen there and would like a spiral staircase from the master balcony.

CFA wants hands on "owners" thus the one business rule. They don't want passive owners who aren't 100% committed. But I wouldn't be surprised that "owners" don't work close to 70 hours a week especially in the beginning as they learn the business, handle paperwork, reordering, do training, etc.
kid #1, one of his friends, the parents own a CFA. I was asking all sorts of Qs at last bday party before covid. they work a ton and they do very well.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
You've typed this twice now. How is it any different from any other training, like... college, tech school, night classes, etcetera? Those usually cost more than $10,000. There must be something if there are people fighting over franchise rights, and I don't think spending ten grand is the issue.
Training for running a Chick-Fil-A is geared towards their operations and procedures. Operators are expected to bring some management management experience and proven results to the table. Education can be taken anywhere as some of the skills from running a CFA can.

People are fighting over the opportunity because they are only opening about 80 units a year and folks see the long lines at the drive up.

I call it a job because as an operator, you own nothing - no building, no equipment, and most importantly, no equity. It all belongs to corporate and you don't own a business. Your $10,000 buys you the right to operate a CAF store. You're independent but they tell you what to do and how to do it. The operator works in the business and does not build a business. When you (or they) are ready to move on, that's it. You can't sell it or pass it on to someone else because you don't own it. In the end, it's like a job in that you have very little say in how it goes.

Don't get me wrong, grossing $250K a year is good but CFA expects much from an operator. They don't want passive operators. They want you to eat, sleep, breathe, and dream CFA.

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda, Ducati
35,134 Posts
Don't get me wrong, grossing $250K a year is good but CFA expects much from an operator. They don't want passive operators. They want you to eat, sleep, breathe, and dream CFA.
Sounds a lot like a surgeon.

230581 - 230600 of 232669 Posts