VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a lot of oil build up under the battery area when I changed my IC tubes. One tube had so many holes in it, it looked like swiss cheese. Anyway I know that the old SC was obviously blowing oil through it. So my question is: is there oil build up in my IC and if so how is it effectd. How do I clean it?

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Re: the oil blown through IC tubes, does it.......... (anolley)

There very well coule be oil building up in your IC. I've seen IC's that had half a bottle of oil sitting in them! It is kinda hard to tell though without taking it out and cleaning it. That requires removing the bumper, but it isn't as huge a deal as it sounds.
-Nate

·
Banned
15,206 Posts
Re: the oil blown through IC tubes, does it.......... (SaabFan)

iti is worth checking, when i rebuilt the charger in my 199K g60 i removed the IC while installing new boost tubes and i POURED oil out of the IC, probably about 1.5 quarts!

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Re: the oil blown through IC tubes, does it.......... (Belleville Corrado)

quote:[HR][/HR]I got my i/c off no problem with the bumper still on!![HR][/HR]​
Then your IC's mounting bracket must have been broken, or there were some bolts missing. Cause normally, there are some bolts holding it on that you can't reach without the bumper off. I spent an entire afternoon trying to get the IC off without removing the bumper once.
-Nate

·
Registered
950 Posts
Re: the oil blown through IC tubes, does it.......... (SaabFan)

Could be bolts missing I guess. It was easy to take off (about 15 minutes)and harder to put back on(about 30 minutes)!! but I got it and I am not to mechanical! beats me it is on there solid no wiggling or anything

[Modified by Belleville Corrado, 4:26 AM 4-12-2002]

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Re: the oil blown through IC tubes, does it.......... (anolley)

Most people recommend taking it to a radiator shop to get it cleaned. Or you can run some gasoline or alcohol through it.
It does affect cooling. Heat exchangers are engineered to take in account of residue build up inside of them but I don't think the VW engineers planned on leaky chargers.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Re: the oil blown through IC tubes, does it.......... (LooseNut)

Cleaned mine out with Gasoline, noticed a slight difference, but it is definately worth the effort- just for the piece of mind!!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Re: the oil blown through IC tubes, does it.......... (Belleville Corrado)

quote:[HR][/HR]Could be bolts missing I guess. It was easy to take off (about 15 minutes)and harder to put back on(about 30 minutes)!! but I got it and I am not to mechanical! beats me it is on there solid no wiggling or anything

[Modified by Belleville Corrado, 4:26 AM 4-12-2002][HR][/HR]​
hardest part for me was getting the duct back on....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts