VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some pics to keep up my motivation.
Adding ported head, S2 intake, FMIC and MegaSquirt (I know, I know, I took out SDS for MegaSquirt??).

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Re: The old 16vG60 (OttawaG60)

Quote, originally posted by OttawaG60 »
\MegaSquirt (I know, I know, I took out SDS for MegaSquirt??).\

do expand on this point cause i'm curious why you're choosing MS over SDS

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: The old 16vG60 (Krautaholic)

Quote, originally posted by Krautaholic »

do expand on this point cause i'm curious why you're choosing MS over SDS

That's a bit of an odd one I guess, SDS is a great system, very easy to setup and run, plus there is no need for a laptop.
I switched because I'm an embedded designer, hang out with EE geeks who get a kick out of building these things, and like open source.
So it more a matter of geek factor than an evaluation of the systems themselves.
No one locally was running one, so I figured who better than my friends and I to try it out.
Now that I've installed both, here's some key points:
SDS: easy to install, comes with harness, very easy to tune, no need for a laptop, great email/phone support from raceTech.
Megaquirt: Needs EDIS or mods to fire spark, no harness, you have to build it yourself, needs laptop, and more complicated to setup. but, it's less expensive, online support is crazy, tons of people have built it and will offer support, DATALOGGING and it's constantly evolving, MS 2 and UMS are due out soon.
So, long and short of it, I'm putting my time and effort into the open sourceness of it all.
If you're not willing to "get your hands dirty", go with a commercial system.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: The old 16vG60 (ntonar)

Quote, originally posted by ntonar »
looks damn nice, where does the boost return tube go off your charger?

To the Throttlebody

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Re: The old 16vG60 (DougG60)

Very nice. Don't think I'd choose a G60 for that application though. The 16V likes to wind out alot higher than the 1.8 block. As we all know, the G-Lader likes to grenade if it's RPM's go too high. I'd go with a Lysholm or preferably a nice Kompressor like CorradoClub's in this application if I chose to go supercharged. A turbo would better for the high end, but the supercharger would nicely accent the low end. Both would allow you to take the best advantage of the 16V. Still very nice though!!!

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: The old 16vG60 (mithril)

Quote, originally posted by mithril »
Very nice. Don't think I'd choose a G60 for that application though. The 16V likes to wind out alot higher than the 1.8 block. As we all know, the G-Lader likes to grenade if it's RPM's go too high.

Just use a larger pulley

If you look at 16v dynos, they tend to run out of breath around 6500 anyways, a G60 can hangle that.
It's biggest problem is it can't push enough cfm's.
Quote »

I'd go with a Lysholm or preferably a nice Kompressor like CorradoClub's in this application if I chose to go supercharged. A turbo would better for the high end, but the supercharger would nicely accent the low end. Both would allow you to take the best advantage of the 16V. Still very nice though!!!

I like to drive a supercharged car and it's still a fairly rare swap.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts

i'm sure you know this, but just the supercharger pulley does not judge how fast the charger will spin. you have to measure how many times the charger spins for every one time the crank spins (with all the belts hooked up).
so what i am getting to with the 16v does the 68mm pulley you say you're running give more or less bost than on a G60? cause the pulley setups aren't the same from a G60 and a 16v so it's find it hard for them to be the same? unless each pulley on each itm is the exact same diameter as on a G60 (either G60's i'm not being picky cause 1990 had a different crank pulley from 91 and 92)

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: The old 16vG60 (vdubCorrado)

The 16vG60 needs a custom machined pulley, as the stock 16v is a vbelt and the crank gear is wider.
So the 16vG60 pulley is the same diameter as the G60 one.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: The old 16vG60 (DougG60)

Quote, originally posted by DougG60 »
what a POS

Yep only chumps own 16vG60's

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

Quote, originally posted by OttawaG60 »

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
that's my dream motor right there

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
Re: The old 16vG60 (mithril)

Quote, originally posted by mithril »
Very nice. Don't think I'd choose a G60 for that application though. The 16V likes to wind out alot higher than the 1.8 block. As we all know, the G-Lader likes to grenade if it's RPM's go too high. I'd go with a Lysholm or preferably a nice Kompressor like CorradoClub's in this application if I chose to go supercharged. A turbo would better for the high end, but the supercharger would nicely accent the low end. Both would allow you to take the best advantage of the 16V. Still very nice though!!!

Not really picking a bone with you, but you do know VW made the Golf G60 Limited right?
Oh yeah, and thats hot sh!t....Doug's was the first one i saw...sweetness. my second favorite motor after the VR
Oh, yeah, and Doug....I get a ride this time http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Cant let Dave have all the fun

Modified by KrazeeKorrado13 at 6:06 PM 5-25-2004

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Re: The old 16vG60 (KrazeeKorrado13)

Where did you find an S2 intake from? When I started working on my 16V, I couldn't find one anywhere.
CC

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: The old 16vG60 (CorradoCody)

Quote, originally posted by CorradoCody »
Where did you find an S2 intake from? When I started working on my 16V, I couldn't find one anywhere.
CC

ebay.de

1 - 17 of 17 Posts