VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
361 - 380 of 398 Posts
That's... fast? :sly:
Considering there's about 5 steps required in the shifting of a manual car, yes:

Step 1: Release gas pedal (the pedal furthest to the right) quickly
Step 2: press clutch pedal in (the pedal furthest to the left, your car may not have this feature)
Step 3: using your right hand, disengage the current gear and immediately engage the next desired gear (labeled 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6)
Step 4: Release the clutch (far left pedal) while simultaneously applying throttle (far right pedal) in such a way to perfectly time the meshing of metal gears spinning at several thousand RPM
Step 5: Fully engage the throttle to accelerate forward

Repeat as necessary to continue accelerating the car forward.
Again, your car may be different, featuring letters instead of numbers on the gear selector.

Considering there's about 5 steps required in the shifting of a manual car, yes:

Step 2: press clutch pedal in (the pedal furthest to the left, your car may not have this feature)
Step 3: using your right hand, disengage the current gear and immediately engage the next desired gear (labeled 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6)
Step 4: Release the clutch (far left pedal) while simultaneously applying throttle (far right pedal) in such a way to perfectly time the meshing of metal gears spinning at several thousand RPM

Again, your car may be different, featuring letters instead of numbers on the gear selector.
Step 2 and 4 are optional. If you can cleanly match engine rpm to drivetrain rpm, no clutch is needed. That's the only purpose of the clutch outside of start/stop situations.

Not sure why you felt the need to fully explain a manual shift? My comment prior was more of a response to the not needing a DSG when one can shift "that fast." I was basically saying that compared to DSG shifting those were slow shifts! :)

Step 2 and 4 are optional. If you can cleanly match engine rpm to drivetrain rpm, no clutch is needed. That's the only purpose of the clutch outside of start/stop situations.
Truth! When you get it right, it's amazing. When you get it wrong, it's expensive!

Not sure why you felt the need to fully explain a manual shift? My comment prior was more of a response to the not needing a DSG when one can shift "that fast." I was basically saying that compared to DSG shifting those were slow shifts! :)
Okay, I see what you mean now... You gotta elaborate on your sarcasm man, it doesn't translate well over text :p

My GTI is my first manual car. I love it and am a convert for life. It gives me an extra challenge each day. Ive been driving it for 10 months now but i feel like there is still slight improvements in my shifting to be made, mainlly heel toe. I love having that extra challenge. With DSG, my grandma can drive it just as fast as I can. Its really quite boring in comparison IMO.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

My GTI is my first manual car. I love it and am a convert for life. It gives me an extra challenge each day. Ive been driving it for 10 months now but i feel like there is still slight improvements in my shifting to be made, mainlly heel toe. I love having that extra challenge. With DSG, my grandma can drive it just as fast as I can. Its really quite boring in comparison IMO.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
That's why I went back to a horse and cart. With traction control, stability control, AWD, and ABS brakes in the R, my grandmother can turn, accelerate, and stop as fast as I can. So why bother?

At least now your grandmother in the DSG is faster than you in the 6MT. :D;) Either way, you're losing to your grandma, right? :D

(I kid I kid, but these arguments of grandmothers being as fast is just silly. I mean... who cares? My grandmother could drive a manual as well as anyone on here, - likely better. It's not like a 6MT is rocket science.)

That's why I went back to a horse and cart. With traction control, stability control, AWD, and ABS brakes in the R, my grandmother can turn, accelerate, and stop as fast as I can. So why bother?

At least now your grandmother in the DSG is faster than you in the 6MT. :D;) Either way, you're losing to your grandma, right? :D

(I kid I kid, but these arguments of grandmothers being as fast is just silly. I mean... who cares? My grandmother could drive a manual as well as anyone on here, - likely better. It's not like a 6MT is rocket science.)

At what point did you pick up the vape pen and the flat-brim? All grandma has to do in the DSG is floor it. That ain't rocket surgery, son.

j

At what point did you pick up the vape pen and the flat-brim? All grandma has to do in the DSG is floor it. That ain't rocket surgery, son.

j
No of course it isn't. And neither is shifting. Either transmission - this car is so easy to drive it's a joke! Go drive an old Mark I or Mark II Golf. I drove a Mark II growing up in London. No power steering. You needed serious arm muscles to turn the wheel to parallel park on the right London streets. That's what real men drive!

It's just tiresome hearing how the DSG is somehow "inferior" because anyone can drive it, like somehow a manual is impossible to drive or something. It's just silly.

No of course it isn't. And neither is shifting. Either transmission - this car is so easy to drive it's a joke! Go drive an old Mark I or Mark II Golf. I drove a Mark II growing up in London. No power steering. You needed serious arm muscles to turn the wheel to parallel park on the right London streets. That's what real men drive!

It's just tiresome hearing how the DSG is somehow "inferior" because anyone can drive it, like somehow a manual is impossible to drive or something. It's just silly.

Yeah, I see. How easy is it to stall the DSG? The fact that you can't makes it easier to drive, sorry not sorry if you don't like to hear that.

j

Yeah, I see. How easy is it to stall the DSG? The fact that you can't makes it easier to drive, sorry not sorry if you don't like to hear that.

j
Just because you can't stall a DSG doesn't somehow make a MT "HARD" to drive. I liken the MT vs DSG argument in terms of "HARDNESS" to cleaning my house by hand or using a Roomba. I can vacuum my house. It's not hard. Does it take a bit more "WORK" to clean my house than have my Roomba do it? Absolutely. But it's not hard, and anyone can vacuum a house.

Driving a MT is not hard. It doesn't make you more awesome or more badass if you do. That's all I'm saying, and take that from someone who had never driven anything but MT since he first learned to drive 20 years ago.

Just because you can't stall a DSG doesn't somehow make a MT "HARD" to drive. I liken the MT vs DSG argument in terms of "HARDNESS" to cleaning my house by hand or using a Roomba. I can vacuum my house. It's not hard. Does it take a bit more "WORK" to clean my house than have my Roomba do it? Absolutely. But it's not hard, and anyone can vacuum a house.

Driving a MT is not hard. It doesn't make you more awesome or more badass if you do. That's all I'm saying, and take that from someone who had never driven anything but MT since he first learned to drive 20 years ago.
My wife can't drive my car because it is a stick. She has an automatic because it is brainless. Get in, stick foot at the go-pedal. But you are right, that does seem complicated and extra nuanced. One is something not everyone can do (despite countless hours trying) vs getting in and driving in 3 minutes.

But tell me how your car is like a vacuum. Is it because with an automatic it is extra 'appliancey'? I get that and I'd probably be upset about that too.

j

My wife can't drive my car because it is a stick. She has an automatic because it is brainless. Get in, stick foot at the go-pedal. But you are right, that does seem complicated and extra nuanced. One is something not everyone can do (despite countless hours trying) vs getting in and driving in 3 minutes.

But tell me how your car is like a vacuum. Is it because with an automatic it is extra 'appliancey'? I get that and I'd probably be upset about that too.

j
A good friend of mine can't drive at all. Doesn't mean driving is hard, in any config - auto or manual. So what you're saying is...if I'm getting this right...- driving a manual takes a bit more PRACTICE (driving MT is NOT hard), and that's the reason why it's better? I guess I don't see the logic.

Now, if we were talking about a regular slushbox, I wouldn't buy one for any amount of money. But that's a whole other discussion.

For your information, though, a DSG like in the R doesn't mean just putting your foot in it for the best performance. I drive in M mode pretty much the entire time. That means my foot goes to the floor only when I'm in the correct gear. And then I switch gears manually much the same as a MT, just...you know, a lot faster. :D In D mode, you'd put your foot down and THEN it downshifts. That's not acceptable!

I'm willing to bet most people who bought a 6MT dismissed the DSG model without even trying it. Now, even after trying it a prospective buyer might still go for the 6MT (and I wouldn't argue with that - some just prefer it). But it's really something - the DSG. And I know there's people out there simply missing out because they think of the DSG as a regular auto.

Just a shame, that's all.

A good friend of mine can't drive at all. Doesn't mean driving is hard, in any config - auto or manual. So what you're saying is...if I'm getting this right...- driving a manual takes a bit more PRACTICE (driving MT is NOT hard), and that's the reason why it's better? I guess I don't see the logic.

Now, if we were talking about a regular slushbox, I wouldn't buy one for any amount of money. But that's a whole other discussion.

For your information, though, a DSG like in the R doesn't mean just putting your foot in it for the best performance. I drive in M mode pretty much the entire time. That means my foot goes to the floor only when I'm in the correct gear. And then I switch gears manually much the same as a MT, just...you know, a lot faster. :D In D mode, you'd put your foot down and THEN it downshifts. That's not acceptable!

I'm willing to bet most people who bought a 6MT dismissed the DSG model without even trying it. Now, even after trying it a prospective buyer might still go for the 6MT (and I wouldn't argue with that - some just prefer it). But it's really something - the DSG. And I know there's people out there simply missing out because they think of the DSG as a regular auto.

Just a shame, that's all.
Where did I say it was actually HARD to drive a manual? I said it was EASIER to drive the automatic. And isn't it? If you can't recognize that driving a manual requires at least a tiny bit of finesse, then I can't help you. It isn't 'stomp and go' - there are other things involved and make it not as easy. You seem to be hung up on the idea of an MT being harder. I know plenty of people tried to learn (rather unsuccessfully) to drive a manual and cant do it at all

The MT is about the PROCESS. Since these are Golfs they are, to some degree, transportation appliances (especially in lower form) you were pretty close with referring to them as vacuum cleaners, but nobody really likes to vacuum. Have you ever had coffee out of a Keurig? It is coffee right? Really fast coffee, right? Yep, it is sh!t coffee, really fast. There was a study that found that many people enjoy the process of making coffee almost as much as the coffee itself. That is why people are making better cups of coffee with pour over hipster setups (meh) or the french press (winner). All of those involve some sort of imperfect thing (the person) trying their best to make the perfect cup of coffee. Sure you can get a coffee out of a Keurig every time and faster, but the process sucks and you end up with junk coffee. I'll equate my car to a French Press. Slower and worth it every time.

Also: I fail to see how a 'regular slushbox' is worse. Go drive the new ZF 8-speed and tell me it isn't at least close in terms of shift speed and what the tach does. Ah right, it probably wont 'fart' and that is a big deal. I drove one , very similar to a DSG and would never drive one daily. Oh, and I certainly have driven the DSG. It is a nice automatic.

j

Where did I say it was actually HARD to drive a manual? I said it was EASIER to drive the automatic. And isn't it? If you can't recognize that driving a manual requires at least a tiny bit of finesse, then I can't help you. It isn't 'stomp and go' - there are other things involved and make it not as easy. You seem to be hung up on the idea of an MT being harder. I know plenty of people tried to learn (rather unsuccessfully) to drive a manual and cant do it at all

The MT is about the PROCESS. Since these are Golfs they are, to some degree, transportation appliances (especially in lower form) you were pretty close with referring to them as vacuum cleaners, but nobody really likes to vacuum. Have you ever had coffee out of a Keurig? It is coffee right? Really fast coffee, right? Yep, it is sh!t coffee, really fast. There was a study that found that many people enjoy the process of making coffee almost as much as the coffee itself. That is why people are making better cups of coffee with pour over hipster setups (meh) or the french press (winner). All of those involve some sort of imperfect thing (the person) trying their best to make the perfect cup of coffee. Sure you can get a coffee out of a Keurig every time and faster, but the process sucks and you end up with junk coffee. I'll equate my car to a French Press. Slower and worth it every time.

Also: I fail to see how a 'regular slushbox' is worse. Go drive the new ZF 8-speed and tell me it isn't at least close in terms of shift speed and what the tach does. Ah right, it probably wont 'fart' and that is a big deal. I drove one , very similar to a DSG and would never drive one daily. Oh, and I certainly have driven the DSG. It is a nice automatic.

j
Once you start talking about the process, we're back into subjectivity. And there's no point to that discussion. I'm a tech geek. I fully admit this. And every time I drive the DSG it makes me giggle, especially in M mode. But that's subjective.

The Keurig coffee has convenience and NOTHING else going for it. What isn't subjective is that the DSG has convenience AND performance going for it. Therefore it IS the better performance transmission. The R is a performance hatch, a hot hatch. And a DSG just makes it that much more performance-y. Again, if you prefer a 6MT I'm not going to argue. I only want to discuss the objective differences.

Also, the ZF-8 is not a "regular" slushbox. It's actually fairly unique in its speed and capability.

Keurig is also performance related, is it not? Really fast, sh!tty coffee.

However, I never said that the DSG was the Keurig, and I find it interesting that you keep drawing assumptions based on what I write. Just like you keep insisting that I said the manual was hard to drive. Are you on anything that would cloud your judgement -- perhaps we should know what you are vaping under that flat brim (you are in Washington state, right?)...

Additionally I've never, nor has anyone here, claimed the MT performs better. It simply doesn't and has been mentioned numerous times. If you want to discuss only numbers and thump your chest while you magazine race, have at it. The rest of us would like to enjoy our drive as much as possible and for a lot of us, that requires a clutch pedal. As a matter of fact, if it really is all about numbers, I have the PERFECT car for you, in the VAG family, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2k2LpV6H7E

All I know about the MT is that it is the french press of transmissions and I don't give a flying rats ass where the others are on my spectrum, be they SMG, DSG or regular old slushbox. Oh right, the ZF8 has a torque converter and all. It is a regular old slushbox. Here is the diagram of it with notes:

j

Keurig is also performance related, is it not? Really fast, sh!tty coffee.

However, I never said that the DSG was the Keurig, and I find it interesting that you keep drawing assumptions based on what I write. Just like you keep insisting that I said the manual was hard to drive. Are you on anything that would cloud your judgement -- perhaps we should know what you are vaping under that flat brim (you are in Washington state, right?)...

Additionally I've never, nor has anyone here, claimed the MT performs better. It simply doesn't and has been mentioned numerous times. If you want to discuss only numbers and thump your chest while you magazine race, have at it. The rest of us would like to enjoy our drive as much as possible and for a lot of us, that requires a clutch pedal. As a matter of fact, if it really is all about numbers, I have the PERFECT car for you, in the VAG family, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2k2LpV6H7E

All I know about the MT is that it is the french press of transmissions and I don't give a flying rats ass where the others are on my spectrum, be they SMG, DSG or regular old slushbox. Oh right, the ZF8 has a torque converter and all. It is a regular old slushbox. Here is the diagram of it with notes:

j
1.) No, you never said Keurig was like a DSG, despite... making the analogy of the Keurig and DSG. So, actually, yep - you made the comparison.

2.) You implied the MT was hard to drive when you said, and I quote: "My wife can't drive my car because it is a stick. She has an automatic because it is brainless. Get in, stick foot at the go-pedal. But you are right, that does seem complicated and extra nuanced. One is something not everyone can do (despite countless hours trying) vs getting in and driving in 3 minutes."

Apparently you like transmissions your wife can't drive, and... you sorta kinda called your wife brainless at the same time (or at least - that she's only capable of driving something brainless). Nice one, mate.

3.) I refuse to discuss subjective enjoyment anymore, since - like I said - it's subjective.

4.) The ZF8 isn't anything phenomenal, with 200ms gear changes. Not sure why you keep bringing it up. Again, objective numbers. Not impressive.

5.) I especially liked this part when you said, "Are you on anything that would cloud your judgement -- perhaps we should know what you are vaping under that flat brim (you are in Washington state, right?)..."

Oh the irony of assumptions, when you're the only one making them. ;)

361 - 380 of 398 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.