VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 326 Posts

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ΠThe Orchid Euro Right Hand Drive GTI 1.6L OEM Van Build omg lol rhd hehe

I feel like it's about time that I build another Mk3 project, and that it's a good chance to showcase some of the parts that Orchid Euro can import. The base car is a 1997 GTI 2.0L Automatic, on which the transmission decided to commit suicide this morning when we were bringing it down to our warehouse. The car was from Florida before coming to Pennsylvania so rust wise it's a decent enough base. Plans for it? A ton of European market parts, with 'weird for the sake of being weird' definitely a option. The title should explain most of it, at least for a start.

The vibe of the build is to have fun and use some parts that are seriously rare or unusual in the USA. One of previous project was the Greenland Polo, and this build will be a similar sort of affair. Ideally I'd like to have it finished in four weeks, but I'm not promising anything (just jinxing it probably).

I'll try to include useful how-tos and hints as we go, when I remember to take photos. If you have any questions feel free to PM or email.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
22,005 Posts
All subframes are created equal - there's no difference from LHD to RHD on those, on control arms, etc (although there are weird factory 4 cylinder 5 lug setups). As our RHD Conversion Clip came with the subframe and because we're going to be using a European engine/transmission we're going to swap the complete engine assembly with the subframe and all, just to make it faster basically.

Removing all the USA 2.0 ABA stuff, along with the subframes etc. No more US bumpers, no rebars, headlights etc :

·
Premium Member
22,005 Posts
Hey Jamie.. I hate to bug but I sent you a message via facebook and vortex (sent to "the brit") about buying some more stuff from you.. please let me know...
Bugging is good sometimes!! I actually PM'd you a few minutes ago anyway :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 326 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.