VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

My VW Caddy USA project is en route to Las Vegas in an enclosed transport right now (it will be on display on the Ross-Tech booth), but I'm going to take a different route. The Audi Hearse that I bought in Spain, and drove on the Nurburgring (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8760569), seems like a good option for a quick drive challenge - if it made it around the Nurburgring and across Europe, hopefully it can cross the USA also..

Last year I raised over $1200 for two charities, driving the Jetta Limo to Vegas in 36 hours - the details of which are here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-Limo-challenge-AKA-Jetta-Limo-Cannonball-Run

This year it's much shorter notice, but I'm going to do it again. But solo. In a Hearse. Made from a Audi 80.

The charities this year are rather more streamlined. My friend Jamie Pokorski has been fighting a brain tumor for a decade, which changed into a brain cancer fight. He's always been a car guy, and spent his working career as a mechanic, starting at a local independent shop, then a VW dealership, then a Audi dealership. As the medical issues became worse his vision, balance, and entire situation became harder, and he hasn't been able to work since. He has two younger children, and an adoring wife, and I can only imagine how difficult the increasingly harder battles have been on them all. He was rushed to the hospital again a few days ago, and was in intensive care. When I spoke to the family yesterday he was expected to be there for a while still.

Full story from the Family here: https://www.gofundme.com/acpnk-jamies-medical-fund

So, I'm going to ask that if anyone is able to and would like to donate at least $0.01 per mile ($25.00 total as a minimum) to the family, it would not only be massively appreciated, but you will be entered for a change to win a bag of goodies. Just like last year, I'm going to collect a BIG bag of swag and promotional goodies at the SEMA show which I will send out to one randomly chosen donor (all names will be put in a bag and one will be drawn. To do this, I do ask that you please make you include your name with the donation, or post on here, or on my Instagram so that I can try to keep track of it. This is all meant to be a bit of fun, so uhh, standard competition rules apply? :laugh::heart: I'll pay for the shipping of the bag myself to anyone in the 48-lower states. If you're international or an island, I'll work with you if you want the bag.

TO DONATE VIA GOFUNDME: https://www.gofundme.com/acpnk-jamies-medical-fund

TO DONATE VIA FOUNDATION BLUE (you can use PayPal!): ]http://www.foundation-blue.com/ - 100% of the donations going to Foundation Blue during this time will go to Jamie Pokorski's family. Donors might also receive a small Foundation Blue gift too (needs to be confirmed though!).

I'm literally leaving as soon as I've finished writing this thread... My Instagram is @xjamiexoe which is where live updates will happen. Please feel free to repost the updates on here to help out :heart:

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
21 RS6 Avant 10 A6 Avant 04 Isuzu Ascender 02 Chevy 2500 88 16v Scirocco
10,594 Posts
Will you be in the Ross Tech booth too? If so I will drop by and introduce myself!

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good luck Jamie!
Thanks!

Will you be in the Ross Tech booth too? If so I will drop by and introduce myself!
The Caddy Van will be there the whole time, and I’ll be in and out as I’ll be meeting out people and checking out the rest of the show. Definitely say hello :)

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
100 miles done. On the Pennsylvania Turnpike west of Gettysburg.

The Hearse likes to cruise around 125km/h. It’ll do 130-135 downhill or when pushed, but more than that means mashing the pedal. The speedo is in KM only, oops. Using a GPS speedo app to confirm the speed, I’m cruising an actual 70-75mph, which is totally fine. Fuel economy remains to be seen.

·
Registered
30,753 Posts
See if any dead folks in Philly want to be buried in Vegas.
The hearse might as well have a paying passenger. :vampire:

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
See if any dead folks in Philly want to be buried in Vegas.
The hearse might as well have a paying passenger. :vampire:
:laugh:

I would sleep in the back myself, but it’s entirely full of detailing supplies, a Giant bicycle that’s painted to match the Caddy, my camera gear, tools, and lots of other stuff, haha.

Plus, there’s no escape handle in the back. Good for preventing zombies, but bad for getting up in the morning if you’re not dead.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
watching this :popcorn:

Safe travels Jamie :cool:

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just turned onto I-70 from the PA Turnpike, near the old VW factory in New Stanton, PA. This will take me west, staying south of Pittsburgh.

The fuel gauge is into reserve but I don’t trust it. The fuel tank is from a Ford Sierra, so I suspect the gauge sender isn’t calibrated. I’m carrying a gallon of gas in a can so that I have a backup if I push it too far :)

Making it the whole way across PA with no stops would be a great start. Making it out of PA on I-70 in one piece would also be great - this section of road is a mess, surface and design wise.

A+++ idea on the charity for this year
Thanks! He’s having a rough time for sure. I’d be ecstatic if 25 people donated $25 each. That’s my personal goal.
watching this :popcorn:

Safe travels Jamie :cool:
Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
310 miles and Pennsylvania done. Now entering West Virginia.

4 hours, 56 minutes. No stops made. Fuel gauge at top of Reserve and suspiciously hasn’t moved in a while.

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First stop of the trip. 360 miles and 2 states done, I’ll be in Ohio for a while. 6 hours and 20 minutes. I put in 14.3 gallons, after running the tank to empty as a test, and refilling on the side of the highway. The tank wasn’t full when I started this morning, so I can’t calculate fuel economy yet.

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just over 500 miles in. 28 miles left in Ohio. 8 hours 17 minutes. 1/3 tank fuel left.

Peoples responses have been mixed; disgust from a beat up Kia, laughter from other cars. An unmarked police car slowed down to take a cell phone photo.

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I slept in a rest area about 50 miles from the Missouri Kansas State line. I’m now back on the road and in the middle of Kansas somewhere. The next big stop will be Denver Colorado for a burrito around dinner time.

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The winds across Kansas were insane. Lots of debris and tumbleweed on the roads. I lost the radiator grille to a particularly large one.

It started snowing coming in Denver so I filed up and at currently rushing up the mountains with whatever daylight remains. 232 miles left in Colorado.

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Be safe out there!

I'll be on the lookout for the Hearse at SEMA :pic:
Say hello if you spot me :) The Hearse will be my daily while in town, while my VW caddy will be on a booth.

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts