VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

181 - 200 of 710 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Wolf_walker, I don't know if you've mentioned it in this thread, but what do you do for a living? Clearly you are in the business with Porsches and seem to have quite a bit of experience. Just curious.

·
Registered
26,077 Posts
People! Someone buy this:

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/5162545736.html

Porsche Boxster S, Awesome condition, amazing Car! - $9975

2000 Boxster S. Awesome condition. 3.4 Litre Six with a 6 speed transmission

From Zuffenhausen, Germany

• Amazing mid-engine handling, absolutely like riding on rails
• Owned by a Porsche enthusiast, meticulously kept and maintained
• This car is 9.5 out of 10
• Bridgestone Potenza Z rated summer tires.
• Traction Control
• Power window, door locks, mirrors.
• Power convertible top (Black & new in 2010 with a hard glass rear window)
• Sticker $54,332 in 2000 (I have the original window sticker)
• 82,172 Miles

This is an early 986S, which should have the dual row IMS. It appears to have been owned by someone unafraid to put some money into it (glass rear window top, good tires). Under $10k.

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
I owned a 996TT. Delight to drive. Fast as hell. Pretty solid. I will own another one. Meanwhile building a 3.2 Carrera that will stay with me forever. New Years, I will look for a super mint 996 C2 (3.^). Those cars are way too underrated, and great drivers with plenty of power.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Yet another 996 C2 in the shop for a new motor. This one overheated and the motor seized. We're popping in a new motor with an upgraded IMS bearing - it'll be better than new. This one was an auto/cabriolet in case anyone had a burning desire to know. Including our project car, this is the third 996 engine replacement we've had in the past two months.

"Where's Waldo?"

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Waterpump and thermostats fail on these as with any older car, especially a german one. I've never seen one that overheated and took the engine out though. Our customers usually notice it running hotter and bring it in when that happens. The water pumps also usually lose some coolant or make noise well before they fully fail. Again this is just what I usually see while working on these. I guess some are more sensitive then others when it comes to this, or the customer completely neglected the issue for long enough in the summer heat that it failed like any other watercooled engine would. Being an auto cab, the later wouldn't surprise me one bit. We have a 997 cab with an m97 in the shop that is getting a new engine due to an IMS that let go. It was making hilarious noises, but was still running okay. Plenty of metal shavings in the filter though.

Also on a lighter note. Some of my favorite 996's to stop threw the shop.

996 GT3

The boxter in the backround has a m97 carrera S engine in it. I've worked on it a few times and its always a fun car to drive. Short ratio 5spd with a 3.6 is an absolute blast.

My service writers new acquisition. I really like this car a lot and he got a killer deal on it too. Fully optioned out Turbo S with PCCB and some other goodies.

I would of loved to have bought this exact car. My favourite color with a gorgeous interior. Still undecided if I would want a C4s over a 2 though.

I've got more, but I'm sure the crappy cell phone pics get a little old.

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
I would of loved to have bought this exact car. My favourite color with a gorgeous interior. Still undecided if I would want a C4s over a 2 though.
Yes, yes you do for that rear end.

And worse case just convert to RWD :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Yes, yes you do for that rear end.

And worse case just convert to RWD :thumbup:
Yup. Best rear end of the xx6 generation bar none. If only it weren't for that pesky m96 hanging out back.

IIRC the porsche water pumps almost always leak coolant out of their weep holes when they start to fail, so unless it's catastrophic, you should be able to catch it before it does any lasting damage I would think. Can't fix ignorant owners though.

181 - 200 of 710 Posts