VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

201 - 220 of 710 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
My 986 waterpump let go in a big way on a cross country road trip. It was 20deg. F so no overheating, but dumped coolant all over the interstate. No fun. I don't really fault the car, it has 155k on the original pump so was on borrowed time.

·
Registered
26,077 Posts
IIRC the porsche water pumps almost always leak coolant out of their weep holes when they start to fail, so unless it's catastrophic, you should be able to catch it before it does any lasting damage I would think. Can't fix ignorant owners though.
Tell me about it. When I told the PO of my car that the water pump needed to be replaced, his reply was, "They just told me it was leaking a bit." Uh, no. That means you need to replace it. And also, that was *two years ago*. :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Yup. Best rear end of the xx6 generation bar none. If only it weren't for that pesky m96 hanging out back.

IIRC the porsche water pumps almost always leak coolant out of their weep holes when they start to fail, so unless it's catastrophic, you should be able to catch it before it does any lasting damage I would think. Can't fix ignorant owners though.
They usually leak out of the impeller shaft, not the weep holes. The easiest way to check if they are bad is to loosen the belt and check it for play. If it wobbles and you have been loosing coolant, then the pump is almost always at fault. When they start to get bad, this causes the waterpump noise and is accompanied by a decent loss of coolant.

I agree the 4s has the best 9x6 ass end. They really have great proportions, unfortunately they have held their value quite a bit better and are out of my current price range. Maybe they will have come down in price by the time I want to upgrade from my S4 into a Porsche.

DeckManDubs said:
Love 6GT3's! Pretty sure that is the next one. Had no clue you worked for Hoffman. I'll have to stop by and chat on my way to see Gene at Central CT Coatings.
Yup, been at Hoffman for a little over a year now. Feel free to stop by anytime, we all love to chat cars and usually have some very interesting ones in the shop. Are you a customer by chance or been to our dealership? Also, I've heard great things about central CT Coatings. Didn't realize their building was pretty much on the street I'm on until I noticed it while test driving a car. Cool to hear one of you is local:thumbup:

·
Registered
19,462 Posts
Yup, been at Hoffman for a little over a year now. Feel free to stop by anytime, we all love to chat cars and usually have some very interesting ones in the shop. Are you a customer by chance or been to our dealership? Also, I've heard great things about central CT Coatings. Didn't realize their building was pretty much on the street I'm on until I noticed it while test driving a car. Cool to hear one of you is local:thumbup:

Awesome! I have not made it into see the dealership. Stopped by one day to look at a MK1 TT you had about seven years ago, but never made it into the dealership.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Any idea why it overheated?

I've been told that the flashing coolant light is referred to as the "Replace Engine Light" by M96 experts.
Water pump failed, and the journey to wherever was completed. And boom, new engine time!

90% of the time, the 996 motors we see have IMS issues, but the two in the past month (lifters and this overheat) have been the outliers. But, its like any car, WP fails, and you need to stop driving it.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
I just found out the cigarette lighter was not a standard side. I thought mine was just broken.

Also, has anyone replaced the clutch helper spring?

·
Registered
18,559 Posts
They usually leak out of the impeller shaft, not the weep holes.
My Cayman developed a small coolant leak last spring. Took it into my indie shop, and right away he figured it was the water pump without checking. I left it at the shop and had someone pick me up out of paranoia about what a failed pump would do to the engine. He showed me the old pump - it was on the verge of failure for sure. Glad I didn't try to stretch it out! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Put the Fikses on....

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
So if I were interested in a 996 turbo, where would be the best places to keep an eye out? Obviously Rennlist, but I assume there are other places as well. If I find something I like at a price I like I might have to jump before prices on them go full retard and I can't afford one.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
So if I were interested in a 996 turbo, where would be the best places to keep an eye out? Obviously Rennlist, but I assume there are other places as well. If I find something I like at a price I like I might have to jump before prices on them go full retard and I can't afford one.
Sign up for alerts on cars.com and autotrader and you'll get emails whenever new ones are listed based on criteria you can setup. rennlist and 6speedonline are good forums to keep an eye on and then you have good old craigslist and eBay.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Just picked up my first 996 and loving it so far. Best part so far is how great the shifter feels, much smoother than my 997, although no where near as mechanical feeling as my 993. Biggest negative so far is the overall feel of the plastic buttons on the interior. Also it's not loud enough.

·
Registered
19,462 Posts
Just picked up my first 996 and loving it so far. Best part so far is how great the shifter feels, much smoother than my 997, although no where near as mechanical feeling as my 993. Biggest negative so far is the overall feel of the plastic buttons on the interior. Also it's not loud enough.

She is a beauty!

I found mine on Autotrader, spent about 6 months looking. Take your time, stuff of Rennlist tends to be good, deals don't last long.

Wheels look good Adam!!!

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
That's a pretty rare GT3... would you mind sharing how much you paid? I rarely see them for sale and so far have been anywhere from $65k to $100k... I'm looking around for 996 turbo but I really like the rarity of the gt3.

201 - 220 of 710 Posts