VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

241 - 260 of 710 Posts

·
Registered
Exige & LS430 UL
17,579 Posts
Looking at another 996 C4S tonight. Car appears to be very clean, 3 owners, 65k miles and lots on maint. records. My one concern is that the RMS and clutch were already replaced (@ 50k).. but there are no records for the IMS (I realize the whole debate about this already).

My question is: Why would the RMS and clutch be replaced but not the IMS while they were part of the way into those repairs? Could it be that they checked and everything was fine.. or simply that it was not checked and could be an issue? I am trying to think of a positive reason for 2 of the 3 being done previously.

Any input?

So far for records he has, include:

-clutch and rms replacement
-replaced exhaust with aftermarket (fabspeed)
-replaced lifters, camshaft adjuster, solenoid
-coils and spark plugs and 60k service
-trans fluid and awd system fluid replaced
-brake pads and rotors

·
Registered
26,057 Posts
The IMS was most likely not dealt with due to being more than one of the owners felt like they wanted to invest further when doing the clutch and rms.
This, or...some shops tell owners, 'if it ain't broke (no evidence of imminent failure), don't replace it'.

I recieved about 70/30 advice on replacement (given my RMS was clearly leaking)--70% for/30% against--at the shops I talked with before having the work done on my 986.

It was 100% fine at 68k miles, but all three shops had graphic examples of failed IMS units at lower mileage across 986 and 996's.

·
Registered
Exige & LS430 UL
17,579 Posts
Wel...

I checked out the car last night and did some more research tonight (along with rebuilding some wheels). The car actually had the clutch and RMS done at 30k by the dealer, by the second owner. The car has a stick of maintenance records since the 2nd owner, mostly dealer maintained too! The car was very clean overall, a few subtle and nice modifications and the exhaust ($4500 bill) was amazing sounding. I loved the test drive.

My only concern was the cracks at each cross drilled hole on the rotors, pad noise (performance pads he said) and the fact that the car is on its 6th owner... The original owner had it for only 3 months and two other owners kept the car for 7-8 months. I was thinking I may be okay with the IMS not being done but then got the feel that the car has not been driven much at all, especially over the last 4 years by the current owner.

The amount of owners is an issue for me. I low balled a little and he seemed mildly interested in making a deal but wasn't 100%.

·
Registered
10,098 Posts
My turbo rotors had cracks on front discs. THey were used. Brakes were smoked. I replaced pads with pagid pads and oem rotors. Have pad noise but they bite real nice. Dust isn't particularly bad.

Still loving turbo ownership.

I've taken it to work and back the past two days. Really wish I could daily this car. E30 makes more sense in so many more ways as a daily but damn this car is always such an absolute joy to drive.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
bro - do you even auto-x?

yes

Suspension upgrades are next, but our canuck buck is getting hammered. I'm not paying 3k for coils.
Nice.

Still searching for a car myself. I originally thought it was just people on Rennlist huffing their own farts as far as prices for 996TT's go, but it's other people too! Prices are all over the place. Most of the cars in the $50k+ range I've seen since I started looking are still for sale even though that's totally what they're worth man, really! I've looked at a couple of clean mid/low 20k mileage cars that were both around $45k. Passed on the first one because I wasn't a fan of the overall combo of stuff on the car. I'd own the second one by now but the owner put it on ebay and sold it without telling me he was doing this after I had a PPI scheduled. I'm just assuming it wouldn't have passed?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Nice.

Still searching for a car myself. I originally thought it was just people on Rennlist huffing their own farts as far as prices for 996TT's go, but it's other people too! Prices are all over the place. Most of the cars in the $50k+ range I've seen since I started looking are still for sale even though that's totally what they're worth man, really! I've looked at a couple of clean mid/low 20k mileage cars that were both around $45k. Passed on the first one because I wasn't a fan of the overall combo of stuff on the car. I'd own the second one by now but the owner put it on ebay and sold it without telling me he was doing this after I had a PPI scheduled. I'm just assuming it wouldn't have passed?
Hun around north of the border if you're willing to travel - we're under .75 on the dollar.

There are literally trailer loads of cars going south everyday. Guys are up here cherry picking the market and shipping south - some of them are the same cars that we brought north when the buck was flipped.

This is a reputable dealer in town

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ctd/5246436317.html

That's 36k in your US bucks. Before negotiation.

There will be some stuff to pay plus transpo but it's exactly what we were doing 4-5 years ago.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Hun around north of the border if you're willing to travel - we're under .75 on the dollar.

There are literally trailer loads of cars going south everyday. Guys are up here cherry picking the market and shipping south - some of them are the same cars that we brought north when the buck was flipped.

This is a reputable dealer in town

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ctd/5246436317.html

That's 36k in your US bucks. Before negotiation.

There will be some stuff to pay plus transpo but it's exactly what we were doing 4-5 years ago.
There has to be some expensive catch to buy and register a car from Canada here, right?

·
Registered
735 Posts
There has to be some expensive catch to buy and register a car from Canada here, right?
Not sure of the specifics, when we bring them north it's sales tax and duty.

There's a guy on our local board who works at the border. Takes pics of liner loads of Porsches going south all the time.

241 - 260 of 710 Posts