VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

261 - 280 of 710 Posts

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
986 and 996 owners take note:

I had felt that my car was acting a bit sluggish and the throttle response was just not what I thought it should be. I took out the throttle body, cleaned it thoroughly, and reinstalled it. There was a surprising amount of gunk built up inside the throttle body though it came off quite easily. While I was there I cleaned out the insides of the intake tubes as well. The entire operation took 90 minutes and the difference is phenomenal! If you haven't cleaned the throttle body out in the last few years or 30,000 miles take the time to do it. It's easy to access and the job requires only some MAF or throttle body cleaner and a rag or two.

obin :beer::beer:

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
The catalytic converters are going bad on our 2002 c4s, and rather than put a couple grand into new cats at the moment, I thought I'd try out Fabspeed's cat bypass pipe. Right now the car has the Porsche Sport Exhaust option (installed by previous owner) but I also have Fabspeed mufflers/tips sitting in my garage (they were what was replaced by the PSE). In addition to adding 33+HP, 40+lbs torque, and dropping 25lbs, I understand the bypass pipe makes the car sound more like an aircooled 911. That's fine, I don't mind the extra noise.

Low end torque is supposed to drop, from my understanding..but I'm curious if there are any of you out there using a cat bypass pipe that could state any other drawbacks other than the obvious challenge to pass emissions. Fortunately I don't have to take emissions where I live, but I will be installing o2 sensor spacers to prevent CEL from coming on. Speaking of which, I just couldn't justify spending $150 on Fabspeed's spacers when other spacers are available for $30-50 on Amazon or eBay.

Link to the Fabspeed bypass pipe (fyi I bought mine used from Rennlist for $850 shipped): http://www.fabspeed.com/996-carrera-catbypass-x-pipe/

·
Registered
10,098 Posts
Replaced the battery in the TT today. Bought one of those fancy schmancy battery tenders as well to keep the battery healthy.

In an effort to not throw my back out completely, I found myself in the frunk of my car to lift that massive OEM battery out. :laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
861 Posts
986 and 996 owners take note:

I had felt that my car was acting a bit sluggish and the throttle response was just not what I thought it should be. I took out the throttle body, cleaned it thoroughly, and reinstalled it. There was a surprising amount of gunk built up inside the throttle body though it came off quite easily. While I was there I cleaned out the insides of the intake tubes as well. The entire operation took 90 minutes and the difference is phenomenal! If you haven't cleaned the throttle body out in the last few years or 30,000 miles take the time to do it. It's easy to access and the job requires only some MAF or throttle body cleaner and a rag or two.

obin :beer::beer:
I'm thinking a catch can would help this but I'm not well versed on Porsches.

·
Registered
19,462 Posts
Replaced the battery in the TT today. Bought one of those fancy schmancy battery tenders as well to keep the battery healthy.

In an effort to not throw my back out completely, I found myself in the frunk of my car to lift that massive OEM battery out. :laugh::laugh:
Battery tenders are great! Does it not seem like batteries get heavier every time you have to lift one out?

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Test drove this today

untitled-0031 by John Gallup, on Flickr

Personally, I think this combo could look pretty darn good had the PO had an ounce of good taste.

No tint, no laminex, no yellow wheels, no banner... try it out.

Starting to look for a 996 c2. Just need to sell either my e36 or z06.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Personally, I think this combo could look pretty darn good had the PO had an ounce of good taste.

Most of the "issues" with that car could have definitely been fixed. The biggest issue was definitely the weird color combination. I should see if it's still for sale since I haven't had much luck with anything else :laugh:

·
Registered
10,098 Posts

e36 m3?

I'm kinda looking for one as a daily.

:eek:

Love my e30 though.

·
Registered
BRZ
8,900 Posts
GOD DAMN

Looking krispy. I want your wheels and headlights
Nice!!! Welcome :thumbup::thumbup:

The wheels, headlights, and hardtop are original to the car. Kind of bizarre actually...it's a VERY well-spec'd base model. I have the window sticker, and it was originally $57,598. Pretty wild, when a Boxster S started at $51,430.

Pretty much says it all, although I decoded the options sticker:

X70 – Stainless steel door entry guards with logo
X71 – Alu-look instrument dials
X97 – Gear lever knob with aluminum inlay
X98 – Handbrake lever with aluminum inlay
030 – Sports chassis – 10mm
139 – Seat heating, left
222 – Traction Control
224 – (nothing for Boxster? Decodes to Active Brake Differential for 911)
236 – Internal production code related to tires
288 – Headlamp washer
340 – Seat heating, right
413 – 18” 993 Turbo-look wheels
424 – CD compartment
437 – 8-way electrical seat, left
438 – 8-way electrical seat, right
446 – Wheel caps with colored Porsche crest
454 – Automatic speed control
490 – Sound system
502 – Produced at Valmet plant in Uusikaupunki, Finland
535 – Alarm 315mhz
537 – Seat memory, left
551 – Wind deflector
584 – Storage box on engine cover
601 – Litronic (xenon) headlamps
692 – 6-disc CD changer Becker Porsche CDC-3
696 – CD-radio Becker Porsche CDR-220
981 – Leather dashboard and door panels
983 – Leather seats
And a couple more pics since I have time now. The car is in great shape overall, it just REALLY needs a tuneup and a few (hopefully) minor fixes. It was just sitting for almost two years before I bought it. This is where I rescued it from:

The previous owner only drove it on the weekends: either cruising around or track days. So it still had vinyl numbers on the doors and windshield.

He also put those hideous headlight covers on, which was actually a godsend because it's not just that chrome trim---it actually had a clear layer of film that protected the lights themselves.

Took it to my friend's smog shop. Plugged 'er in and passed easily :thumbup:

Gotta love the Litronics! Huge improvement over the standard lights. Not to mention their cutoff and output is quite good even by modern standards :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Nice man! I'll be checking this out at the next C&C :beer:

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Got a chance yesterday to toss on the new street wheels that use to be on Smoltz's car :D

Time to solve the rear toe/camber issue that killed these in 7,000 miles. Everything aligned up fine to GT2 specs, but it is beating the hell out of the rear inner edge of the tires.
And that 996 is aging well from an aesthetics point of view. :thumbup::beer:

261 - 280 of 710 Posts