VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

701 - 710 of 710 Posts

·
Registered
S2000
7,377 Posts
Quick bump.

Has anyone replaced the top on a Boxster?

I found a seemingly good deal on an '01 2.7 that needs a top. From a quick search there aren't many DIYs on it. Top prices aren't bad themselves so I'm curious. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1989 M3, 1998 M3, 2000 323it
1,723 Posts
Sweet Jesus thats a great looking car. Unpopular opinion incoming. I like the way the 996 wide body looks more than the 993 wide body, in most cases.

·
Registered
19,465 Posts
Sweet Jesus thats a great looking car. Unpopular opinion incoming. I like the way the 996 wide body looks more than the 993 wide body, in most cases.
Thanks! Black hides so much of it in pictures, a lighter color really shows the rear fenders width. This is a better shot of the car. Granted closing up on folks on the back roads they get right out of the way with the imposing black shape appears out of nowhere.

·
Registered
S2000
7,377 Posts
Another quick bump. There's a 180k mile 98 Boxster that's been well maintained for $3k.

The seller found shavings in the oil. It looks pretty dang small to me, but in the spectrum of 9x6 ownership. How bad is this?

·
Registered
26,104 Posts
Thanks fellas -- no bore scope or cam check. It's a PCA car located a few states away.

I'm not sure what I'd do with it, swap in another 2.5? Hot rod it with a 3.4?

https://mart.pca.org/ads/44907

Given it's not an S, I wouldn't bother with it. Early cars are also different than later cars, which make things like swaps a bit more challenging (later, larger motors into earlier cars).

986S's are cheap now (under 10k) and come with significant improvements (more robust 3.2L motor; 6spd; bigger brakes; 3rd radiator) that aren't cheap to add later. That'd be my play.

701 - 710 of 710 Posts