VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

The power of VWOA

892 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Quick VW 
#1 ·
I have experienced bad dealership treatment myself, and read about it a lot since being of the 'tex.
My question is: What does VWOA do to the dealerships after you complain? Whippings? branding irons to the soles of feet? Threaten termination? What?
It seems that after you complain to VWOA the whole experience changes. At least mine has. I went in 6 times for a squeaking problem before they correctly diagnosed and fixed the problem. (Air conditioning compressor)
Now it seems I am part of the team there. I am on a first name basis with many of the guys there. I went in last weekend to pick a part up from the part counter, and 2 people asked me how my car was doing, and a third complimented me in the lot like he owed me something. I must say that I feel like after I complained, I got what we all should should expect, so I was just wondering.
Sorry for the long post.

#6 ·
Re: The power of VWOA (NFS7)

Quote, originally posted by NFS7 »
i dont think VWOA can do anything about bad dealership treatment?? the dealership is a seperate entity that is independant of VWOA.... all they do is purchase cars from VWOA...

Well, a dealership has to be authorized by VWoA to sell new Dubs, and whatever kind of contract they use to accomplish that probably requires the dealer to obey certain conditions to remain authorized. If a dealer's abuse of a customer is bad enough to make VWoA actually give a flying $()%&, it probably amounts to a breach of one of those agreements -- in which case VWoA could threaten to revoke their retail-dealer privileges unless they shape up.
That's all theoretical, though -- 'Tex wisdom is that in practice, VWoA doesn't care what their dealers' service departments do short of imitating babboons by flinging their own feces at customers....

#7 ·
Re: The power of VWOA (OstTrefftWest)

Quote, originally posted by OstTrefftWest »

That's all theoretical, though -- 'Tex wisdom is that in practice, VWoA doesn't care what their dealers' service departments do short of imitating babboons by flinging their own feces at customers....

Mmmm....babboons flinging their own feces at customers....it's funny because it's true. So like us...hmmm.

#8 ·
Re: The power of VWOA (Quick VW)

It is my understanding that VW does monitor customer feedback and pass it back to the dealer with consequences. I do know from my dealer that the post delivery call survey where you are asked to rate the dealer on a number of items does effect the dealer. My salesperson, who is a friend, told me that he wanted to make sure I would rate them the highest on each item. Of course he told me this before I left because he wanted to make sure I was happy and to tell him if there was anything I wasn't happy about. Anyway the story goes that if you rate them lower than excellent on any item it has the potential to cause action on the dealer up to and including allocation preference reduction. My dealer, a small one, considers their allocations very important so they want to make sure every single person is happy.
After I got the call from VW and gave them the ratings I was in the dealership later and they thanked me for the good rating... So obviously the rating info flows back down.
I also know that one dealer I was originally dealing with on a 337 LIED to me about the deal on the car. I was working with 2 other dealers trying to get a car at the time and one of the other ones told me I was being lied to and actually turned the liars in to the regional rep. The rep apparently ripped the salesperson and sales managers a new one the next time he was in town.
As for the service experiences... I dunno. I still think the best thing is to find a dealer that other people recommend and go from there. I have had VWs since 1980 and I have always found who to and not to go to from other people. It also changes with time. At one time Bill Yates VW in San Juan Capistrano CA was the best dealer I ever had work on my cars. Then recently someone posted a complaint about them on here under their new name.
Just remember: Just because you are "the customer" doesnt mean you are always right. Be reasonable and polite when you have a problem. You should try to resolve the problem at the dealership before you call VW anyway... Being nice, polite and firm will get you a lot further than being a raging azz. And if you gave being nice a try and it didnt work call VW and see what happens and dont give up til you are happy.

#9 ·
Re: The power of VWOA (Helicon Twist)

Quote, originally posted by Helicon Twist »
VWoA exists only to ...(3) do absolutely nothing about their rogue dealerships http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

Wrong. They revoked a dealership near me, some years ago. My dad went to this dealer, where he had bought his '88 Fox wagon, for some parts...and when he pulled up, the place was miraculously no longer a VW dealer.
He found out the story later. The service manager had been charging non-warranty repairs to the VW warranty accounts, and apparently had been doing it for years. (Being a bit too generous with VW's money, I guess.) So, one morning, bright and early, a bunch of car carriers, a moving van and a sign company derrick pulled up. In about four hours, you'd never know the place had been a VW dealer.

#10 ·
Re: The power of VWOA (sids1045)

No crap? Thats the funniest thing, cause I told my wife after my bad experience, that VW should pick up THEIR cars from the lot because the people at the d****rship didn't know what the hell they were doing there. FYI, I'm better now.
Quote, originally posted by sids1045 »

Wrong. They revoked a dealership near me, some years ago. My dad went to this dealer, where he had bought his '88 Fox wagon, for some parts...and when he pulled up, the place was miraculously no longer a VW dealer.
He found out the story later. The service manager had been charging non-warranty repairs to the VW warranty accounts, and apparently had been doing it for years. (Being a bit too generous with VW's money, I guess.) So, one morning, bright and early, a bunch of car carriers, a moving van and a sign company derrick pulled up. In about four hours, you'd never know the place had been a VW dealer.

#11 ·
Re: The power of VWOA (Quick VW)

Heh, everything you describe (compliments, first name basis, friendly service) is exactly how my dealership has been from day one.
I guess I got lucky.
I'm talking about Liberty Imports, for any Chicago area people, btw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.