VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

261 - 266 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
8,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #261 (Edited)
Back at it!

Working on the rear wheel wells, and working around the struts for now, until they get pulled.

And removing all of the coating from the under side of the car.
A nice, sharp wood chisel works amazing for the flat spots.

And, the end of the line, rust-wise. The forward lower section of the rear wheel well on the drivers side.
This notch is normally filled in with sealant..as you can see, rust has crept up, into the joined pieces of metal.
It was all sealed up with rubber from the factory, and looked fine before I started exploring. :(

A first coat of enamel in the front wheel wells

And on the inside of the front fenders.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Undercoating removal is the worst job in the world.. BTDT many times:

I started with scrapers and heat gun to soften the rubber... finally moved onto heavier stuff.
Grinder with a wire wheel, either cup or flat depending on which area you are using.. it goes through it like butter.
Needs to be the heavy duty thick knot.
Just keep it mind little rubber shreds will be all over the place.. ;)

Hope this hleps.
Martin

·
Registered
8,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
Thanks Martin!
Yes, it sucks, but I'm finding a lot of spots that have the coating worn off (lifting points), and has surface rust lurking...
The surface rust on your pan, in the area of the shifter has me motivated to pull the propshaft and exhaust..which is happening eventually regardless.

·
Registered
8,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
The car has been moved inside.
Trying to restore a car in the winter time, in the North West is way better than The North East...but I cannot wait anymore for rain breaks.

Since there's still much welding to be done on the car,
Bought a new MIG welder last week, have already been using the crap out of it.

Started clearing out the engine compartment, to make room for a belt/pump replacement.
There' not much space between the cam belt cover and the radiator support!

The quattros come with two radiators.
Most folks remove and bypass the aux unit.
Mine is completely knackered.
I knew is was in rough shape, but it still held coolant!!!!!

When I removed the cam belt cover, I was happy to see the belt still looked like new! (it was last replaced in 2002)

All looked good at first, but I noticed some coolant residue built up behind the rear cover!

And that's all for now. Worked a 12 hour day, ran out of steam.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I would suggest going to RS2 fan shroud setup with 200q20v 500W fan.
or at least the plastic B3 shroud... that way you never have to worry about it rusting again.

261 - 266 of 266 Posts