VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what exactly does vtech do??? how does it work?? and what is it?? sorry for the ignorance, just wondering.........

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: the question of vtech.... (tiredofh2o)

Q: "So what does VTEC really stand for?"
A: Well, it's an abbreviation (sort of) for "Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control"
Q: "So what does this VTEC stuff do anyways?"
A: Well, at around 5000 rpm (in the Prelude) a mechanism within the engine shifts longitudinally (thanks to oil pressure), and a set of lobes tuned for higher performance take over controlling the valves. This can always be heard and occaisionally "felt" under hard acceleration as an extra shove in the back. Put simply:
Q: "My Honda doesn't have a VTEC engine. Can I still put a VTEC sticker on it?"
A: DON'T EVEN get me started on this issue!!!!
po-seur: n. a person who pretends to be what he is not, out of affectation, insincerity, guile or silliness [F.] ©1993 Webster's Dictionary
Q: "If all this happens around 5000 rpm, then what's the redline?"
A: Oh, just a measly 7400rpm on the 1993-1996 Prelude VTEC!
Q: "So what's the big deal?"
A: Well, the VTEC system is a great way to get better performance out of a small engine without adding typically high maintence items such as turbos. DOHC VTEC engines have some of the highest horsepower to displacement ratios around (for non-turbos). Plus the gas mileage (26h/22c) is halfway decent because it's still a small engine (2.2L).
Hope that explains it! I know this because my friend is a Ric3r, No V-TEC or NOS sticker tho. (po-seur: n. a person who pretends to be what he is not, out of affectation, insincerity, guile or silliness [)
http://www.howstuffworks.com/framed...ome.san.rr.com/jfroumis/prelude/vtec_faq.html

[Modified by localgod21, 7:29 AM 6-2-2002]

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: the question of vtech.... (localgod21)

thanks for clearing that up http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts