VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
The Meatata, Olga-Vagon, DerpDango
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, as many are aware the used car market is currently insane and companies like Vroom, Carvana, and CarMax are putting out some very good offers. Because of this I got a little curious and looked at what they had to offer for the Veloster N and was very surprised to find offers of just at what I paid for the car brand new. I entertained the idea but I still needed something that was a daily driver.

Then my company announced that my position was going to have the option to go 100% work from home and my mother-in-law started talking about selling my late father-in-laws Tacoma. I saw the stars align and knew this was my moment for daily truck/tow-pig and a track car plus getting rid of a loan.

So, goodbye Harriet. I had a blast for 23k miles and scores of autox/track days, but I basically got to rent the car for TTL for 2 years. #notbad

Truck acquired:

It's nothing special, just a TRD Offroad package with all the whistles. My FIL had some...concerns with the state of the country in 2016 and started being a prepper and went all out on the options for this, in case he should ever need to go offroad. (He didn't)

Car was sold not much longer after that, Vroom was painless and took about a week and a half from initiating the process to being paid. It was a bittersweet day, but I'm excited to move on to new things.

Miata acquired:

It's a 1997 with LSD, 93k miles, has had 3 owners, and been a Texas car all it's life. Car comes from a Texas spec miata guy, turns out we know a fair amount of the same people.

Currently it has:
  • Spec Miata Bilstein Shocks
  • Eibach Spec Miata Springs
  • Sways from an '02 Sport package
  • Fatcat Top Hates
  • Advanti 15x9s
  • Hard Dog Roll Bar
  • Megan Racing Radiator
  • Recent paint job done by a legit shop in Montego Blue

On the drive home:

After a quick wash:

Interior:

Car is super clean! It's currently at my shop getting the alignment done and a thorough going through.

Already have all new fluids, seals, filters, timing belt, plugs/wires, hoses, and a coolant reroute kit on order. I'll start working on those this coming weekend and go from there! Eventually I would like to either turbo the car or do a k-swap, we'll see how the cards fall in a year or two. For now the plan is just to have fun with it and get used to driving a RWD car.

Our garage now is, I believe, the ultimate TCL garage:

Diesel Wagon? ✅
Tacoma? ✅
Miata? ✅
yup.

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
CONGRATS! That thing looks amazing.

but....

What's up with the fitment? Maybe it's the perspective but it looks like the flares stick out further than the wheels... and with over fenders like that, it sure looks odd having wheel gap large enough for a soda can to sit in there. Are you going to spec race it? Because if not.... lower it, and see how those fit. Almost looks like you need another 1" of width.

If you're going to race it, leave it alone until you drive it and make decisions later.

Killer car either way; my favorite color on a miata without question. You done good.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

but....

What's up with the fitment? Maybe it's the perspective but it looks like the flares stick out further than the wheels... and with over fenders like that, it sure looks odd having wheel gap large enough for a soda can to sit in there. Are you going to spec race it? Because if not.... lower it, and see how those fit. Almost looks like you need another 1" of width.

If you're going to race it, leave it alone until you drive it and make decisions later.

Killer car either way; my favorite color on a miata without question. You done good.
There's a whole story here but the TL;DR is: guy bought it with the intention of doing a flashy street/track car, stripped it down and replaced hail-damaged panels with panels from a parts car. Then did the overfenders and had it painted. To get it back from the paint shop he slapped a suspension from one of his spec cars (guy has like 6 miatas) on it and then he decided the paint was too beautiful and didn't want to track it -- so it sat for 1.5 years. When I say he slapped the suspension on it, I mean it, everything was still loose and the alignment is crazy bad. Which is why it's at my shop (shout-out BSP Motorsports!) getting a thorough once over and an alignment setup to supermiata's race specs.

You're right on the fitment of the wheels, they're not right. I'll be looking for some 15x10s with an aggressive offset and some wider tires to fill everything out but without really messing up the dynamics of the car. Right now the car is using 1.5" spacers to make it happen.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks y'all!

Much love to this garage 👍

How much of a job was it making the lobster stock again?
It really wasn't all that difficult, I left most of the suspension stuff on though. Hopefully the new owner wanted to lower it.

Heard back from the shop, car is in great condition. The trans and diff fluid look recent, the suspension was extremely loose (I expected this, it drove like it), and is a super clean car for it's age. I love Texas cars! Not a single rusty bolt on it.

S U P E R T H I C C B O I spacers, gonna be changing these out along with the wheels when I can find something that will fill out the arches.

The only issue they ran into is that it appears the passenger side lower control arm is "tweaked", probably from one of the POs hitting a pot hole or similar. Becomes a problem in the alignment though because they can get the camber dialed in but the caster gets thrown off and vice versa. You can kinda see it in the picture but apparently it's much more evident in person:

They're putting an OEM LCA in today and will hopefully wrap the alignment up and have it ready for pickup tomorrow. Besides the alignment and now LCA, they went through the entire suspension and made sure everything was torqued to spec.

Plan of attack for the car currently:
  • See how it drives after the alignment
  • Change timing belt, fluids, and do coolant reroute
  • Go run it
  • Work on finding a wheel/tire setup that will compliment the extra width of the car now without having to resort to 1.5" spacers
  • Come up with a plan for the direction I want to take the car

·
Registered
The car so nice I bought it twice
2,037 Posts
Cool truck and cooler Miata! From what I've seen, K swap miatas are deceptively expensive (but awesome), and the Mazda motors hold up well to boost. Not sure about heat management and all that fun stuff, but something to consider. Either way, this is a killer set up.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
You gotta let us know man! I've been shopping VNs and I would have just driven up the street and taken it off your hands =D Congrats on shifting the stable around, hope you have tons of fun with the new toy!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool truck and cooler Miata! From what I've seen, K swap miatas are deceptively expensive (but awesome), and the Mazda motors hold up well to boost. Not sure about heat management and all that fun stuff, but something to consider. Either way, this is a killer set up.
From the research I've done on k-swaps, you're not wrong. I would love to be able to do one but it will ultimately come down to my financials in a year or two when I decide to start adding power.

You gotta let us know man! I've been shopping VNs and I would have just driven up the street and taken it off your hands =D Congrats on shifting the stable around, hope you have tons of fun with the new toy!
Sorry! I honestly would have felt bad selling it privately at the current market rates. Don't get me wrong, the Veloster N is an amazing car for the money but it's still a Hyundai and the current used values make other vehicles in this price range a much better proposition for the track.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

but....

Those obvious mods aren't legal for Spec Miata, nor is there any safety equipment.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
Far East GLI
1,871 Posts
Very cool acquisition...sad though to see the VN leave the fleet. I just got my Elantra Sport back in December, and was hoping to see you build it more because of some common parts between the two. I don't think I'll be selling it to Carmax/CV/Shift/Vroom (I could get most of my $ back too). Would love to get a Miata as well in the future.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts