VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes! The Race Shop throwing it down at Maple Grove this past Saturday for the IDRC East Coast Finals in the Pro/Am All Motor Class. I broke, Joe did his job but still got knocked out first round by the Car Doctor's red civic running 11.5's. Even though I broke and Joe was out first round it was still an O.K. day as we left the track with new low ET's.
#229 is me and #230 is Joe.

Still fighting the trans I drove it hard to get that number during open time trials...
next thing you know I busted the pressure plate during qualifying and didn't even get to race in the event. The very first pass of the day was a 12.981 ET, I got my first ever 1.6x 60' time hooking up a 1.698 60'.

Joe's previous best was a 12.64 ET before Saturday, he was able to back up the 12.57 with a 12.58 and 12.59 passes. Not only is that 12.57 a new best ET for Joe it is the first time anyone of our cars layed down a 1/8 ET under 8.0 with that 7.976, Joe has been looking for that certain number for a while now and knew it hade to be done to see anything in the 12.5's.
Trying to hold it down for you guys in the All Motor Street classes... go 12v GO!
Bill

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Re: The Race Shop - Lower All Motor ET's? (phatazzgti)

Quote, originally posted by phatazzgti »
okay, i'll get your nuts off my chin now.

i cant wait to race at show n go and see you guys run. hopefully my spec clutch will be broken in

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Re: The Race Shop - Lower All Motor ET's? (billyVR6)

Quote, originally posted by billyVR6 »

go 12v GO!
Bill

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif might wanna switch to light
to get that weight down...
awesome numbers, wheres ant to rep those 11sec 12v vr6s

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
Re: The Race Shop - Lower All Motor ET's? (poorsche)

Good for you guys...its nice seeing all motor VR's running those times...keep it up http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Re: The Race Shop - Lower All Motor ET's? (poorsche)

Great job Billy and Joe.....I think I found the problem on my car and will hopefully be at Show N Go shooting for 10's.......Either way I'll still be there. See ya'll there. Congrats again.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Re: The Race Shop - Lower All Motor ET's? (CDJetta)

I have one question for you and the rest of you "Serious VR6 Racers"
Competing in a class or classes that are as competitive as the ones you are racing in why do you guys conside to use and obsolete motor as your powerplant?
I mean every other team is using the latest and greatest and you guys by your own admition are getting spanked in the first round. Wouldn't it make sense to perhaps try something new? The 24v motor has been out for 2 years now and is superior to the 12v in EVERY WAY so why have you guy not aquired one, built it up using some of your knowlege from the 12v as well as learnign new things unique to the 24v and drop it in a Mk3 or Mk2 for that matter and have a better and faster car. For that matter why haven't you looked into the 3.2L VR6 form the R32. Seemingly a race team/ shop like yourself would have access to such motors and the means to aquire them.
Another benefit of you guys using the newmmotors is that you will aid the ultra slow growing aftermarket for these motors.
This is just something that crossed my mind, mind you I have nothing against the 12v or the owners who have them in their cars but no can deny that the motor is obsolete in 2004.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
some may say its obsolete but its hasnt been pushed to the max yet... some people like seeing how far the limits can be pushed. why do we race vw's? 5.0 mustangs are way cheaper to build and easier to make fast, but thats not the point.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Re: (f0xf0702k1)

Though you say the 12v hasn't been pushed to its max yet I'd say that after about 10yrs it basically there, you may get squeeze some more out of that motor but nothing close to whats gonna be compettitive given their compettition. Hell I'm not saying that a fully built 24v will even be able to hang completely, but it sure as hell will do better than a 12v would.
Personally I was raised in an environment where you play to win and beleive that anything worth doing is worth doing to the best of your ability. So if these guys are going out every weekend and spending big money because racing ISN'T CHEAP then why not put your best foot forward. When you race out there, you're representing all of us VW owners so why not race with the best motors that VW has to offer for your application and give yourself at least a fighting chance as opposed to not even being considered compettion by the other guys out there who come out each weekend to win and expect nothing less.
Unless you go out there with that mind set and are willing to do what it takes, you're just wasting time and money.

Modified by omeezy at 6:27 PM 9-28-2004

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.