VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn’t going to be a build thread, but more or less a thread so I can track what I’m doing and when. Case in point, I recently bought all the parts to do a timing belt swap, then found notes that I changed the timing belt the summer of 2020…. I don’t remember doing that.

I’ve also been pulling pics from Photo Bucket, so I should post them somewhere…

Bought Big Blue in 2008. It was my 2nd pick up and 3rd diesel. First pickup had bad tin worm disease, and was flipped, when I found BB.

BIG-BLüE posing with LïL RED, which was my first diesel.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Daily drove BB for a number of uneventful years, then decided to tackle the known rust areas. I still regret not using this opportunity, to make it a long door…

Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Vehicle door

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Wood Gas Tints and shades

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle

Car Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Machine Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

BB helped dispose of a dismembered body… ‘97 B4 donor, for a project car, which hasn’t been touched in years.

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Plant Land vehicle Vehicle

This thread will be caught up quickly… I think I lost most of the pics, somehow.

-Todd

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Came across a local selling a AAZ running NA, with a 1.6 IP. The engine had an issue.… the IM shaft would lock up, after running a bit. He started dismantling the engine, then gave up or lost interest. I bought the engine in pieces.

Found out the oil pump was bad, although it looked perfect. Lightly snugging the bolts to the block, it was fine. Achieve torque spec, and it no longer spun. A new pump solved the issue. The crank keyway was also perfect.

Motor vehicle Gas Bag Machine Plastic

Gas Circle Cameras & optics Audio equipment Automotive lighting

Cleaned up the head, did some light porting and made some parts look pretty.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant

At this time, I‘d already pulled the 1.6 and installed it in a project car. A friend asked me to help clear out a storage locker, so unfortunately the block and the rest of the engine got installed, without further detailing. Trans is also grimy…

Found a 90s Canadian spec IP, with the idle bump. Pulled it apart to do a full reseal, shimmed the governor, added a TDI cam plate, 10mm rotor and head. Still running 1.6 lines (bent up), until I find long delivery valves and AAZ lines.

Tableware Gas Cuisine Ingredient Dish

Gas Electronic instrument Musical instrument accessory Audio equipment Auto part

Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Machine Auto part

More rust repair, added power windows and looks like I replaced the heater core, and added felt to the damper doors..…

Car Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Audio equipment Electrical wiring Bicycle part Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Tread Bumper

-Todd

·
Registered
54 Posts
You've been busy!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You've been busy!
Meh… not really. This was only some, obviously not all, of the stuff I’ve done, dating back as early as 2008. I rarely touch this thing, because I rarely drove it, since 2011. Thanks for the comment, though.

Power windows? Do tell.
Geez…. Old news…. I’ve posted it a minimum of 5x. The most recent time it was mentioned, with pics, was in my GTI thread.

Here’s maybe the 6th time…. do it, it’s easy…

Sunglass storage. It didn’t last long, before getting removed….

I forgot what the original seats looked like. The dash was sprayed with SEM Palomino, and Corrado Gray Dots were eventually installed.

Replaced the house AC and furnace. Time to clean out the shed and do a scrap run. That load was close to 2,000lbs.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Pulled a big ass root, that was in the way of my free paver parking pad. The paver blocks against the fence, weigh 80lbs each. Each load of 15 blocks, was 1200lbs.

Plant Wood Wheel Automotive tire Tire

Plant Wheel Tire Vehicle Chair

There were many paver trips, over several weekends. BB, worked hard and deserved a reward for its hard work….. stereo stuff!

Automotive tire Light Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Audio equipment Gadget Electronic instrument Gas

Automotive tire Audio equipment Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system

Netbook Output device Hood Automotive design Bumper

Gear shift Vehicle Car Car seat cover Steering wheel

The kick pods were recycled from my 4dr winter beater, which got sold. The sub enclosure was built for the beater, but never got installed. 10+ years later, it was finally used. I think it’s .5cu/ft, and was probably the most complicated enclosure I’ve built. The baffle is voidless, 13 ply Baltic birch plywood.

New Alpine digital amp was mounted, under the dash. I made a shift console that had cup holders, but didn’t like it. It probably went in the trash.… nothing replaced it.

A few years passed and I reinforced the roof skin, added cab and grill lights. New fabric was installed on the board and a central dome light was installed. The forward cab dome light is worthless.

Window Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Car Automotive exterior

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle

LED headlamps were also installed, but I don’t really like the spider eye look of them. They’ll eventually get swapped out.

Years passed and other than occasionally driving the truck, not much happened. I could always count on it starting, though.

-Todd

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha, saw Big Blüe cameo on FB marketplace this morning
Nah, that’s owned by some dude, Miguel….

Looking through pics, I don’t have too much left. Shame I didn’t document more.

Picked up a cheap TDI beater for the transmission. Car ran absolutely great, so it served as my 4 year winter beater, we referred to as, Rotbox. Undercarriage was getting real shady, so we took it around back and it got wacked. Rotbox’s fluids stained the parking pad...

Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Car

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car Tree

Tree Landscape Sky Building Motor vehicle

BB helped dispose of another dismembered body, and is brazenly wearing its shoes, around town….

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

We needed to dispose of the body quickly. BB’s next assignment was to bring home a carport, for assembly.

Tire Vehicle registration plate Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle

That was around 2 months ago.

BB’s brakes were feeling tired and the booster needed to be replaced. Rear brakes were inspected for the first time, since ‘08. Drum guts looked good, but the entire rear assemblies were replaced with parts from, Rotbox… very low mileage. New rear brake lines were bent/flared and the entire system flushed. Brake cables were haggard and replaced. BB, had to be prepared for its next job.

Around Halloween, we went about 150 miles into PA to buy parts. I had to buy A LOT of parts, to get a rust free hatch for the GTI. BB is jealous of the attention the GTI receives.

Near the end of the trip, the engine was making an odd sound…

-Todd

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts
Me and you and a truck named blue?

You have a partner in your VW obsession? If I'm not mistaken most of your previous posts were in the 1st person singular.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Near the end of the trip, the engine was making an odd sound…
Took me a few weeks to investigate…. me grabbing and shaking components, nothing was loose. Still running great, so I did what anyone would do and ignored the issue. I noticed, upon starting the engine, the noise wasn’t there. Blipping the throttle to start charging, the noise appeared.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tank Combat vehicle Asphalt

Tire Automotive tire Light Camera lens Wood

That nut was pretty tight, but I wonder how long it took for that keyway to hammer itself, to that extent? Better that pulley, rather than the crank.

Another donation from Rotbox… Rotbox lives on!

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive tire

Rotbox’s crank damper chirped like crazy… the one in the pic is ABA. Waiting on a VR6 water pump pulley to arrive. I’ll be using the (incorrect) 90A alt from Rotbox, with a clutched pulley, to lessen the chance of crank damage.

While waiting for parts, we tried a lazy front end lift. S2 16v front springs were installed years ago. I was told they were an easy way to get front clearance. I wanted more front clearance, but didn’t want to use strut extenders. Rear was just modded MA803 air shocks…. I haven’t added air to them in over a decade…

Wheel Plant Tire Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread

Wasn’t happy with this. I’ve had that breaker bar over 30 years. That rusty axle nut was freakin’ tight…. I should have broken out the torch. Oh well, traded in a USA tool, for a Taiwanese tool.

Wood Tool Bicycle part Wrench Composite material

Automotive tire Plant Asphalt Wood Gas

Spring compressors are for wusses. An old rag to keep parts from flying, and a few blips with the rattle gun, and it’s safely(?) apart. I mark the piston, just to make sure it’s not unthreading… unthreading isn’t good.

New (RV204) springs compared to the 16v springs. Powder coated strut mounts replaced the painted strut mounts. Fox inserts were perfect and reused.

Automotive tire Wood Font Coil spring Rectangle

Product Wood Audio equipment Gas Circle

Definitely needed spring compressors to get everything back together…

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Car

I gained .25”…. BB, berated me! I guess when you’re at full extension, you’re at full extension. I wasted a few hours, including time to trade in the breaker bar and a McRib break. We‘ve discussed plan B, and I’m looking for parts.

New rot to fix, can be seen in front of the rear wheel.

-Todd

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,758 Posts
actually a roof brace like that on a pickup isnt a bad idea
the metal there is really flimsy
i also roll without a roof upholstery, got tired of it falling down on my 6ft2inches head
...but then i got scirocco seats...

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That’s exactly why I did it. It sounded like a tin can and flexed. Hard to see, but there’s also closed cell foam between the skin and reinforcement bars. No more flex…

The headliner board can’t droop, now that the dome light is holding it up. I’m running Corrado Gray Dots, which I imagine are similar, to the Rocco seats.

-Todd

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still screwing around with this serpentine conversion. The tensioner arm was frozen in place, so I needed to get crafty, to free it. Pretty gnarly…. blew out the remaining dust from the bracket, with the air hose. The plume of rust dust was insane.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Engineering

Hand tool Wood Metalworking hand tool Bicycle part Crankset

Blast cabinet needed new lights installed, so I robbed the project car of its previously blasted bits. Painted and cooked. I think I screwed myself. The water pump outlet is the newer 25mm style. I don’t want to buy that $35 hose, so I may use the copper adapter fastinradford, mentioned. BB realizes its purpose is function over form.

The water pump has a cast impeller… haven’t seen that, in years.

Sculpture Art Wood Chair Stairs

Also noticed the TDI harmonic balancer has less of an offset and is about 1“ larger OD, than the ABA part. Looks like more parts are being robbed, from the project car….

BB, also got new horns... it liked how the GTI sounds. They’ll get sprayed black.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle

It‘s the weekend, so we’re drinking! BB says I’m not allowed to drink until after the work is completed. Needed to warm the fluids, so I found a spare alternator with the same pulley as the damaged one. Swapped the pulley and key. Drove to get lunch and errands, then back to work.

Drained a milkshake, from the trans.…

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

I’m guessing I didn’t seal it well enough when it got power washed. I’m curious how much water is needed to make a milkshake. Seeing a nice coating of oil under the car and theres a heavy build up, around the speedo cable. Did some investigation and there’s no o-ring. Also looks like the clutch arm seal is leaking. Cleaned everything up with gas and a chip brush.

I’m peering into the speedo hole and see more milkshake inside. I discussed it with BB, then added 2.25 quarts of gas to the trans…. Spun one wheel for a couple minutes… it went from quiet, lubed rotation, to squeaky rotation. Dumped the gas and left the plug out, overnight. I figured what’s left in the trans would evaporate. Time for me, to drink!

15 hours later, I decided to warm the trans with the torch, to make sure any residual gas evaporated. That was boring, so I set up the heat gun on high, for 15 minutes.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Found a used, flattened o-ring, but decided to use a Viton fatty. That cable looks haggard… ordered a new one.

Textile Sleeve Wood Grey Denim

Buttoned it up and let it idle for 30 minutes… I didn’t see any leaks. Drove it about 20 miles and still no leaks, so it seems like fatty, did it’s job.

I’m curious what the coolant temperature is, when the stock gauge is in the middle. My jumper wires were pretty rusty, but maybe the gauge is bad… it’s probably 20 years old.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Steering part Steering wheel

I probably installed a 195° thermostat. Fan kicks on around 215°, and turn off just under 200°. This was parked and idling, with the cluster needle in the center. When moving, the needle drops to around quarter. Time for some cardboard…

-Todd

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Case in point, I recently bought all the parts to do a timing belt swap, then found notes that I changed the timing belt the summer of 2020…. I don’t remember doing that.
LOL... I do this. Not sure if its getting old, or just too many vehicles. I'll order the parts because I "know it has to be done by now", then go to install them and see new parts...
My old F350 was cranking slower.. decided to take that time to upgrade to a Superduty starter.. got under the truck to install it to find a new starter looking back at me.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BB was tasked with picking up another carport. This one was smaller than the fist, and under 500#s. BB didn’t break a sweat.

A buddy and I assembled it yesterday. Now, I’ll need to do another makeshift parking pad. I didn’t consult with BB, and placed an order for 100 16x8x2 blocks. I told BB we were going to run an errand, and didn’t give much more info…

Needless to say, BB was not pleased when the cart of blocks was pushed outside. That load leveled the suspension.

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Hood

Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle

It was a awkwardly, silent trip home.… a lot of tension. When we pulled into the driveway, I was told to unload the blocks, by myself and to do it, now. I did as I was told.…

That‘s 35’ of carport tunnel.… I need more LED shop lights. The blocks are behind the project car… I can already feel my back aching.

Wood Shade Grass Beam Landscape

I smoothed things over by showing BB, the new parts that were delivered. The brake fluid is for a 22mm mc install, I’ve been thinking about. BB liked the sound of that! With the 10.1s, I don’t like how low the brake pedal drops, so close to the floor.

I haven’t mentioned the serpentine conversion, since the other loaner pulley went onto the alt. If BB doesn’t bring it up, I may conveniently forget about it.…

Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire

Thankfully, we’re talking again. I didn’t mention that we’re going to need another 100 blocks.…

-Todd

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BB, has been getting on my nerves about this parking pad... Making me work long hours, to get it completed.

Thankfully, placing the second order of 100 blocks, didn’t cause a fight, because I spoke about VIP parking, sheltered from the elements. We stopped off, on the way back to get something to drink. When we got home, I had to unload the blocks by myself, again…

Car Vehicle Sky Automotive tire Cloud

Yesterday’s progress.

Gas Symmetry Metal Wood Engineering

Where I ended, tonight. Not my best work, but I keep reminding myself it’s just a parking pad…

Building Plant Road surface Asphalt Grass

This should be completed tomorrow, but I have a feeling I’m going to end up slightly short. I knew I should have added, an additional 10 blocks. I’ll have BB pick them up, before I mention the GTI will likely be getting the front parking space…

-Todd

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was enjoying breakfast this morning, and BB rudely interrupted, mentioning rumor of an OE glue in windshield within 30 minutes drive. I was told to “stop stuffing my face, get dressed and pack a JY bag… I didn’t have to work on the pad, but hurry up! The GTI needs it!”. Hmmmmm.… I wouldn’t mind a day off; my body is aching...

I called the JY to verify the car was there and I was told, I pay in advance and I pull it…. $100, win or lose.

We get to the yard, I speak to the girl from the phone call. I was able to get $75, we pull and pay in advance. BB starts heavy, with the charm and worked her to $50, we pull and we didn’t pay in advance. This is why I let BB call the shots… We get to the car and BB told me to get the external thread strut housings and the German booster and mc, too.

Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

We get home and I’m told to unload the truck, because we need to get the 10 additional blocks, for the pad. I asked about not “working on the pad“, and I’m told we’re getting blocks, not working on the pad… I do as I’m told.

This strut is locked up. I’ve heard of it, but never experienced it. Whacked it with a 2# sledge a few times and dropped on on the ground a few times to get it to extend. I guess I’ll be a wuss and try to get the spring compressors on it. All that potential energy has me a bit nervous.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

After getting the blocks, I was told to unload the truck again, cut the excess urethane off the windshield, then put it somewhere safe. I guess we officially christened the pad, as a work pad.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Pretty productive day; I’m exhausted. I don’t care what BB says, I’m drinking tonight. Don’t tell BB, I said that…

-Todd

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BigBlue, has been cracking the whip….

Just one more sweep and hose down, and the pad should be complete. It’s definitely not flat, but it’s a parking pad…

Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Car

I haven’t mentioned the serpentine conversion, since the other loaner pulley went onto the alt. If BB doesn’t bring it up, I may conveniently forget about it.…
Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bottle

Either I lost or sold the 90A alt, I planned on using. BB will be getting a 120A alt… pure overkill!

Rear bearing is a bit noisy, so I may as well order both. Front 6303RDD…. rear…. 6203LHA.

Brushes are way short, but the slip rings look decent. I’ll find another alt with a better regulator, and swap them.

-Todd

1 - 20 of 111 Posts