VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else is having the same feelings as me towards where VW is going with the new golf. I like how they have incorporated the Rabbit back into the GTI and I think that they should do the same for the New Golf.
It seems to me like the Rabbit describes the car so much better than the word "Golf". I mean, they are quick, agile and fun. And, as a car, they get around the city easily...efficient...and excitedly.
So, back to the title...is it a New Golf that is coming out?
Or is it the rebirth of the Rabbit?

· Registered
135 Posts
Re: The rebirth of the Rabbit?!?!? (JaWhoa)

Quote, originally posted by JaWhoa »
I was wondering if anyone else is having the same feelings as me towards where VW is going with the new golf. I like how they have incorporated the Rabbit back into the GTI and I think that they should do the same for the New Golf.
It seems to me like the Rabbit describes the car so much better than the word "Golf". I mean, they are quick, agile and fun. And, as a car, they get around the city easily...efficient...and excitedly.
So, back to the title...is it a New Golf that is coming out?
Or is it the rebirth of the Rabbit?

Kind of a moot point, since if I'm not mistaken, the Rabbit was called the Golf in Europe as far back as the MK 1's. Starting with the MK2's, it then was named Golf here as well....as a mid 1985 model changeover. Like the Jetta, which is Jetta here, but Bora or Vento elsewhere (depending on generation I think) Europe or Latin America. So, Golf is a Rabbit and a Rabbit is a Golf. Always has been, always will be. You know what Shakespere said on a simular subject:
"IF a ROSE be called by another name, is it NOT still a ROSE?"
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by 5thVW at 3:20 PM 3-14-2006

· Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: nope (Mr. Rabboto)

I'm not really looking for a history lesson on the Golf, I know all of that information.
Since it was called the Rabbit here in the US before it was called and Golf...and since people put the Rabbit badges on their MK3/MK4 golfs as a reminder of the car's roots, it just seems like it would make sense for them to start calling it a Rabbit again and getting people excited about it.

· Registered
3,548 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Mr. Rabboto »
Who the hell gets excited about Rabbits, 500 diehards on Vortex? In the real world nobody gives a crap about the Rabbit.

http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
for one who the hell thinks that the new gti even comes close to what the rabbit was. secondly, the last time i checked the rabbit started the "hot" hatch market. a market that is still strong today wether it be on a MKV or a MKi so i guess your right, no one gives a crap about the rabbit.

Modified by ****** at 4:24 PM 3-14-2006

· Registered
18,785 Posts
Re: nope (JaWhoa)

I get excited, along with 499 other people.
Besides, what if that helps VW sell 500 more units?

I don't know if you noticed, but I have a Rabbit.
After over 30 years and 24 million Golf's produced worldwide, it seems ridiculous to me to change the name based on a 9 year stint in the U.S. that only yielded a very small number of that 24 million.
Of the other 499, probably about 20 of them can afford a new one.

· Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

It might seem ridiculous...but stranger things have happened. Anyhow, I'm not wondering what they're doing with the Golf in the rest of the world...I'm concerned with their actions in the US, where the Rabbit was first introduced.
And yes, I noticed that you had a Rabbit.

· Registered
18,785 Posts
Re: nope (JaWhoa)

I'm concerned with their actions in the US, where the Rabbit was first introduced.

Well, it doesn't look like anyone else is, since I'm pretty much the only one willing to waste my time in this thread.

· Registered
2018 Golf GTI Autobahn | 1993 VW Corrado SLC | 2022 Porsche 718 Boxster T
6,302 Posts

After over 30 years and 24 million Golf's produced worldwide, it seems ridiculous to me to change the name based on a 9 year stint in the U.S. that only yielded a very small number of that 24 million.
Of the other 499, probably about 20 of them can afford a new one.

Seriously - I mean who cares, anyway? It's been called a Golf for 21 years even in this country, so why create an exception for this market. God knows there are probably 10 people who will be turned off by the name change because of their perception of what the Rabbit was vs. their perception of what "Golf" means, for every 1 person that would like it. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif There's nothing terribly Rabbit like about the new Golf or GTI.

· Registered
7,873 Posts

Who the hell gets excited about Rabbits, 500 diehards on Vortex? In the real world nobody gives a crap about the Rabbit.

Lol. Ain't that the truth? Thank God. The less people interested in them the better IMO.

· Banned
27 Posts
Re: nope (cursed)

The whole issue regarding the "Rabbit" name in VW marketing is moot. The fact is that it means nothing to 99.8% of the car buying population. It may sell ONE or TWO more GTIs than otherwise and those two buyers are idiots anyway. My guess is that the VW marketing folks are too busy twiddling their fingers with nitwit items like the Rabbit badge instead of finding ways to properly market the new Golf in North America. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif To the marketing clowns at VWoA and their agencies.

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Re: The rebirth of the Rabbit?!?!? (JaWhoa)

The MKV GTI is far removed from the original Rabbit GTI Having owned a MK1 Rabbit, perhaps it is time for VWOA to get serious about bringing in the Polo line as the new entry level VW. A Polo GTI could recapture the spirit of the original Rabbit GTI at a reasonable price that they could sell by the boat load.

· Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: The rebirth of the Rabbit?!?!? (makmov)

I know that all of us would love to see the Polo GTi here. It's fast, fun, affordible and perhaps the closest rep of the MK1 Rabbit that VW has to offer right now.
I just find it odd that many of you who are Rabbit owners and lovers, don't think that it would be cool to see the Rabbit reborn in the US. I mean, isn't this new MKV Golf a completely new automobile? Isn't it being introduced for the first time in the US, like the Rabbit was originally? I'm as lost in the marketing as you guys are, I'm just stating the fact that the Rabbit has been present in the seen for the last few years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.