VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK----since this has been discussed MANY times & no one really seemed to know for sure, here's the deal. I just got back from court & a guy in front of me had a lawyer try to get a ticket dismissed based on the 48 hour filing deadline. While it IS a law that the ticket is supposed to be filed in 48 hours excluding weekends & holidays, it's up to the courts discretion if they want to accept it. They base it on whether they feel there was prejudice on the part of the cop. In this case the judge said she felt that there was NO prejudice & did NOT dismiss it on this. So don't automatically assume that if it isn't filed in the 48 hours that you'll get off just on this
carry on

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Re: the scoop on 48 hour ticket filing (Bantastique)

Quote, originally posted by Bantastique »

carry on

my wayward son

·
Banned
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: the scoop on 48 hour ticket filing (SauerKraut)

Quote, originally posted by SauerKraut »

my wayward son
there'll be peace when you are done

·
Banned
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: the scoop on 48 hour ticket filing (Rabbit 16v)

on a side note---went to court today for a neg on my bike & asked for a continuance. Then I got a copy of the report & was extremely happy to see that Mr. trooper used his good ol zeroxed form that they just fill in certain lines. Well too bad for him that it says he followed me in my car when I was on my Bike. Looks like I'll be saving a few hundred on a lawyer

·
Banned
10,348 Posts

on a side note---went to court today for a neg on my bike & asked for a continuance. Then I got a copy of the report & was extremely happy to see that Mr. trooper used his good ol zeroxed form that they just fill in certain lines. Well too bad for him that it says he followed me in my car when I was on my Bike. Looks like I'll be saving a few hundred on a lawyer

I wouldn't count on using that to get out of your ticket. A car and a bike are both vehicles. If they have your license plate number on there, you'll still be screwed. Remember, in civil court its "preponderance of evidence" not "reasonable doubt". Describing your vehicle incorrectly only introduces doubt.
Have a backup plan!

·
Registered
2,761 Posts

OK----since this has been discussed MANY times & no one really seemed to know for sure, here's the deal. I just got back from court & a guy in front of me had a lawyer try to get a ticket dismissed based on the 48 hour filing deadline. While it IS a law that the ticket is supposed to be filed in 48 hours excluding weekends & holidays, it's up to the courts discretion if they want to accept it. They base it on whether they feel there was prejudice on the part of the cop. In this case the judge said she felt that there was NO prejudice & did NOT dismiss it on this. So don't automatically assume that if it isn't filed in the 48 hours that you'll get off just on this
carry on

IT also depends on what court is is and who the judge is. I talked to lawyer and he says that the Bellevue courthouse usually/tends to not accept the 48hr rule while most others actually do. So I learned my lesson. IF you're going up against Bellevue Courthouse...get a lawyer....in most cases, you should get a lawyer, I had to learn the hardway.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts

carry on

Quote, originally posted by SauerKraut »

my wayward son

there'll be peace when you are done

Quote, originally posted by Rlyeezz2 »
Lay your weary head to rest

Quote, originally posted by 20vmkII »
dont you cry no more

Quote, originally posted by Rabbit 16v »
Dannanaaaa dnnnna dnnannat dnnnnaaaa!

thats the coolest thing ive ever seen on the vortex..

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Re: the scoop on 48 hour ticket filing (bmxp)

Bellevue Courthouse http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

Been there done that, dont even think of contesting a ticket without an attorney. Judge was'nt letting anybody off that day...I knew I was screwed after hearing 4-5 cases before mine

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Re: the scoop on 48 hour ticket filing (Nine2cg60)

Quote, originally posted by Nine2cg60 »
Bellevue Courthouse http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

Werd. I hate those bastards

1 - 13 of 13 Posts