VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

· Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine showed me some pictures of an auto museum he went to recently. A few of the cars featured were various slant nose Porches. After looking thru them, I proceeded to tell him how ugly I thought they were vs. regular 911s.
Well this didn't sit well with him. He informed me of how rare they were (when installed from the factory) and that I was foolish to not appreciate them.
So my questions to the CL are:
1. Did the Slant Nose provide any tangible performance gains?
2. Was I wrong to prefer the non-slant nose 911 to the slant nose? Just because something is rare, does that automatically make it better? (To me, No, but I would like to hear other peoples thoughts)

· Millennial
43,630 Posts
Re: (trigtm)

Can't answer either of your questions, but I do love me some slant-nose. It's very period-correct. If Porsche had done a slant-nose 993, not so much. Although, with the ugly mug on a 996, it may not look so bad

· Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
25,331 Posts
FV-QR

The slant nose might improve aerodynamics some, but you'd only notice it on a racetrack if at all. My best friend's dad had one growing up. It's still the only slant nose I've seen in person. I dunno where they all went. Hell, I've seen more McLaren F1's than those things.

Modified by chucchinchilla at 7:27 AM 3-19-2010

· Registered
9,732 Posts
Re: (Rabbit5GTI)

gives it a 968 type front
I think 993 slantnose would look similar to the 964 slantnose, but i do think the 964 slantnose gives it a 993 type look in the front from a quick look

Modified by Aw614 at 10:30 AM 3-19-2010

· Administrator Emeritus
19,628 Posts
Re: The Slant Nose Porsche (Ben.Reilly)

Quote, originally posted by Ben.Reilly »

2. Was I wrong to prefer the non-slant nose 911 to the slant nose? Just because something is rare, does that automatically make it better? (To me, No, but I would like to hear other peoples thoughts)

1) No, the slant nose was purely cosmetic. The factory ones did not have any performance upgrades over the regular cars.
2) This is subjective, but I agree with you - I've never liked what the slantnose did to the 911's looks at all. I'd take one if someone gave it to me, but I would never buy one over a normal 911. I do understand that people like them because they're rare, though.
-Tim

· Registered
22,045 Posts

A friend of mine showed me some pictures of an auto museum he went to recently. A few of the cars featured were various slant nose Porches. After looking thru them, I proceeded to tell him how ugly I thought they were vs. regular 911s.
Well this didn't sit well with him. He informed me of how rare they were (when installed from the factory) and that I was foolish to not appreciate them.
So my questions to the CL are:

was the place your freind went to in CT? if so, i believe i know the place.
i cant really say if i love it or hate it, its a rare option, i just appreciate the rarity of it above anything else.

· Registered
2,503 Posts

I believe it all has to do with Homologation for their factory race cars which were running flat noses with no round headlamps. Competitors didn;t like that, so Porsche designed the slant nose with pop up headlamps, People liked it so the factory took it out of skunk works and made it an option.
Supposedly there are just under 1000 true factory units if you can believe the internet, the rest are all aftermarket conversions (which are the majority of slant noses you find).
here is a post from over on the Porsche forums...
In 1976, the factory fielded the first 935s with std headlights, thereby obviously complying with the rulebook that said, "the sihouette from the car must match that from the series car from which it is derived".
After a few races, the cars had a flat nose, prompting a rash of objections from concurrents. The reply from Porshe was: read the rules completely... : " The silhouette must match that of the series car from which the car is derived, as described by a line going along the middle of the car" So porsche said "where are the headlights in the middle of the car?
Actualy the factory started selling the cars with "Flachbau" from then on, first on a very confidential basis, to customers who wanted the speed advantage brought by the mod.
Only later did fashion come along with the louvered fenders.

Modified by BrothersinArms at 10:52 AM 3-19-2010

· Registered
24,124 Posts

I used to dislike the look, but it's really grown on me over the past few years. I can understand those who don't like it... looks being subjective and whatnot

· Banned
10,901 Posts
Re: The Slant Nose Porsche (SilverSLC)

Quote, originally posted by SilverSLC »

1) No, the slant nose was purely cosmetic. The factory ones did not have any performance upgrades over the regular cars.

That isn't entirely true.
The later 930 S (930SE in the UK) got more aggressive cams, bigger intercooler, tweaked CIS, and a dual outlet exhaust. Power was advertised at 330hp. There is some debate about how much boost they ran.
Many US factory slant nose cars also had these and more performance options installed at the factory, nearly everything about these was custom ordered and you could even get a NA slant-nose wide body if you wanted one.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.