VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2020 Subaru WRX
1,867 Posts
Have you had a shop take a look at it?

I haven't followed this adventure very closely. I know if I did then I would end up wanting another sled. :LOL:

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,445 Posts
I love that you left falling on the skis in your edit. (y) 😂

For the sled, if you've got a boroscope I would definitely take a look at the piston through the spark plug hole. Burnt out I'd think you'd see light-colored plugs, but could be a chunk broken off or something. Compression test would be tough because I don't think you'll be able to warm it up. Even if you don't have a boroscope, you might be able to see the piston with a flashlight at or near TDC.

Could also be a carb issue, e.g., high speed needle clogged. We had a sled once with the low speed needle clogged...it wouldn't idle, but if you started it and took off before the stall it would keep [poorly] running until you let off. Thankfully that happened getting it out of storage so nobody was tempted to drive it home that way.

ADDvanced said:
This thing has taken so much time and money, jfc.
I hear ya. My father's joked a couple times I may as well just put cash in a bucket and light it on fire. 🤣

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Rode about 75 miles with the local club yesterday, had a great ride. 4 sleds/5 riders. Beautiful sunny day, if a bit cold.

Then came back and took my daughter out for an hour, she’s slowly getting into it. One of the trails crosses one of the lakes right at the “raft up” spot on a sandbar between the land and a small island. So I took the same pic on the Ski-Doo as I did with her on the Sea-Doo last July.

Same spot, 6 month difference:

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Keeps getting better. Avalanche in the background. Too many deaths to mess around taking risks. Parked 100 feet back from cornice.

Reactions: ADDvanced

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
So I blew a belt on my 2015 ZR8000, so when I got it home on my spare belt, I pulled it into the garage and tore into it to clean everything up.
  • Repolished the whole tunnel
  • Installed LEDs, this took FOREVER just to understand how to secure everything, was super stoked, got done installing and it worked for 5 seconds then the controller started smoking.... so I think a solder joint must have broken in the LED strips. Sucks. 6 hours of effort wasted. Did a SUPER nice install; flush mount IR receiver, you can't really see the LEDs at all when they are off. Pretty bummed.

Anyway, got everything back together at 1:30pm on Saturday, and we went for a nice 50 mile ride through the holy hill area, super cool area for southern wisconsin! We left during a snow storm but half way through the ride, the sun came out. Absolutely frigid conditions but beautiful day nonetheless.

Sunday was more good news; I used an endoscope to check out the pistons/cylinders on my old ZR600 project, and didn't see anything expensive looking, so I threw brand new plugs in it and.... back in the game!

This is a $20 Endoscope I picked up a while ago; check video for quality, I'm pretty stoked for $21 tho.

I don't understand what happened. The old plugs looked pretty good. Doesn't make sense but I'll take it :)

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Been amazing lately. My own private playground

Reactions: ADDvanced

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Yeah this weather is stupid awesome. Tomorrow is 20 degrees, no clouds, all sunshine, and the trails are awesome. Going to get up before sunrise and leave when it's still dark so we can enjoy the sunrise at 70mph. STokkkeeeed!

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,445 Posts
Rode this week a bit. Kind of ironic that we got a great winter but can't spend it with friends. Oh well, this machine turns gas into smiles on an industrial scale:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
I want to thank everyone in this thread for giving me some ideas/feedback on my Arctic Cat ZR600 build, I took a half day of vacation last Wed because the weather was mild, and the trails in my area are absolutely incredible to me.

Here's a short video of the first REAL trip, an 80 mile loop through southeastern Wisconsin. This video is NOT monetized, I make zero cents from this, but I just wanted to share the positivity and good vibes from accomplishing something I have been so frustrated with for years. The thing works, and it's an absolute blast to ride right now. More people should buy sleds... the combination of no speed limits mixed in with temporary trails that don't use roads and wind through interesting areas are a total gamechanger on your outlook of what winter can be.

Thanks again, and I hope you dig it. I definitely learned a ton building this thing!

·
Registered
16,303 Posts
Question for you guys that have changed your track. Does the replacement come as a one piece loop? Can you splice two tracks together? Working on a project and a longer track than a standard snowmobile may (or may not) be helpful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Where is that at? I was in Silverton yesterday doing and there were a few sleds running around on the pass, some pulling skiers and some just out.
I was near Silverton on Saturday. I'm rarely in the same spot on any given day.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,445 Posts
Question for you guys that have changed your track. Does the replacement come as a one piece loop? Can you splice two tracks together? Working on a project and a longer track than a standard snowmobile may (or may not) be helpful.
Yes, it's one piece. No, there's no practical nor reliable way to splice tracks together. Like a tire there are cords inside the rubber which are holding everything together; if they are compromised the track is done.

That said, what is your project? Maybe there's something else that can be done.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was near Silverton on Saturday. I'm rarely in the same spot on any given day.
[/QUOTE]
Ha! I have the exact same pick from yesterday afternoon, ~5 miles south of town looking at Silverton.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Silverton rules. Red mountain pass is gnarly so I don't go there too often.

·
Registered
16,303 Posts
Yes, it's one piece. No, there's no practical nor reliable way to splice tracks together. Like a tire there are cords inside the rubber which are holding everything together; if they are compromised the track is done.

That said, what is your project? Maybe there's something else that can be done.
Slow speed sand crawler for a jet ski. Not sure 154" tracks will be enough to balance the ski on but it might be.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,445 Posts
Slow speed sand crawler for a jet ski. Not sure 154" tracks will be enough to balance the ski on but it might be.
Interesting! They do make a 174". Or maybe two parallel 120"s with the boat sideways?

101 - 120 of 120 Posts