VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 91 16v GLI for about a year now and it ran fantastic until last weekend. i was on my way to pick up some parts for a vr6 swap into my corrado, and in the middle of nowhere north dakota (not hard to guess why) my front motor mount broke and my engine fell forward pressing all the weight onto the oil filter and crushing it, soon after seizing my 16v.
After 4 hours of waiting for a tow truck driver to pick me up i decided the jetta would now be the suitable companion for the new vr6.
on to info:
the car is an alpine white 1991 GLI with 195000 on the body and engine
the vr6 is a fresh rebuild that came with both subframes rack and pinion ecu wiring harness and... an auto transmission:banghead:
I'm driving 9 hours this weekend to pick up an 02A 5 speed and some corrado parts and ill try to have this running as soon as i can.
I Will take all the advice i can get:laugh::laugh:
on to the pics

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Little update today, I removed the engine wiring harness that goes to the back of the fuse box and cleaned up the engine bay. I plan on doing a semi shaved bay and can't decide wether to paint the nay black or white. On to the pics

Do the vr and 16v share the same fuse box? And does anyone know a diagram showing what vr6 connectors go where on the fuse box? mine were not labeled.

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
FV-QR

It is all plug and play in a CE2 car, which yours is.

The 3 main connector are F, G1, & G2. Then w/o1 for the VSS & injector power from z1 or the 30/30b jump.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not too much to update today. cleaned the bay some more with the purple stuff, routed the vr ecu, (still need to figure out the main harness into the fusebox) removed old shifter box and f*** up the exhaust shrouding in the process:laugh::laugh:
going to minnesota to buy my 5 speed transmission tommorrow and a hood for my corrado

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got my o2a transmission and now I'm just waiting on the other parts being freighted hopefully I can start to do real work on Wednesday.
In the mean time I did some cleaning and resprayed the intake manifold and preped the tranny for paint. And for parts for relocating the battery.
On to pics

Does anyone know what the difference is between automatic and 5speed throttle bodies?
Can't wait for a big update by the end of the week

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tonight i Got the o2a shifter in, the tierods, ball joints, steering rack in.
The only thing I have left to do swap is the pedal cluster from a mk3 which looks like a huge PITA. The clutch assembly which also looks like a pain, And remove a stuck bolt on the flywheel so I can put the engine and tranny together. And then finish up some wiring. As always any advice is appreciated
An pic of progress

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.