VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone, this will basically server as a blog and running update of what I've done with the R, what I'm planning to do and so on and so forth. This thread will probably be heavily based around keeping the car clean (washes, polishing, waxing, etc) and modifications.

Let's get started.

I recently purchased (7/2/2014) a 2012 Rising Blue Golf R from the first owner after he had driven the car around 16k~ miles. He had a few reasons that he wanted to sell the car and I found it for sale here on Vortex and realized it was only an hour from my house. Went and looked at it and picked it up the next day. Car was well taken care of and driven very little. It was left completely stock besides the rear view mirror, backup camera, and OEM Euro Tailights. That was exactly what I wanted. I wanted to make this car mine from the beginning as building the car is 1/2 the fun!

The goal is to have an extraordinarily clean, fun, fast Golf R that I can track a few times year and take on road trips and DD otherwise. This will all be done on a budget as I am a normal person and sadly I am not crazy rich.

Current Update: 11/8/2015

What it looked like when I bought it:

20140704-DSC_0260 by Shook1db, on Flickr

20140702-DSC_0247 by Shook1db, on Flickr

IMAG0659 by Shook1db, on Flickr

Where we are at now:
20150107-DSC_0319 by Shook1db, on Flickr

10496205_10152677811758624_3747009581684460422_o by Shook1db, on Flickr

Winter Wheels by Shook1db, on Flickr

DSC_0065-3 by Shook1db, on Flickr

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nice! Looks like we bought the same car! Same color, options and even mileage! I just picked mine up as well (7/26/2014) and will be watching this thread to see what mods you do, as well as cleaning tips. I like those taillights and imagine that will be one of my first mods!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice! Looks like we bought the same car! Same color, options and even mileage! I just picked mine up as well (7/26/2014) and will be watching this thread to see what mods you do, as well as cleaning tips. I like those taillights and imagine that will be one of my first mods!
Ha! That's awesome! I've already done some stuff so I'll space that out here.

How's the camera? Is it worth the money? That is something I have thought about doing several times
Well the guy I bought the car from worked for a company called Gentech (I think) and the camera and mirrors are prototypes so they are not 100%. I have 2 different rear view mirrors. The one the backup camera comes up in and the other it does not. I am using the one it does not work with because it looks 1000x better because it's edgeless.

20140724-DSC_0030 by Shook1db, on Flickr

Also made a new shiftknob out of a tap handle from Bells Brewery here in town:
20140708-DSC_0273 by Shook1db, on Flickr

20140725-DSC_0064 by Shook1db, on Flickr

And first shipment of parts came in:
CTS Turbo Downpipe
Cam Follower
Autotech HPFP Upgrade

IMAG0701 by Shook1db, on Flickr

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks!

Installed all the things!

Cam follower first:
[/url]FB_IMG_14057861839600378 by Shook1db, on Flickr[/IMG]

Things are looking good:
IMAG0730 by Shook1db, on Flickr

Autotech fuel pump upgrade was VERY easy to do (instructions sucked):
IMAG0731 by Shook1db, on Flickr

Getting this old downpipe off was a PITA but I'm glad it's done:
IMAG0733 by Shook1db, on Flickr

Installed. . . Also a PITA to get this thing in there:
IMAG0734 by Shook1db, on Flickr

Also recieved the Evoms intake and heat shield:
IMAG0776 by Shook1db, on Flickr

IMAG0778 by Shook1db, on Flickr

While I was mounting my heat shield I was removing some pieces I no longer need and this piece fell into the turbo inlet. . . Thankfully my shop vac was able to suck it out:
IMAG0777 by Shook1db, on Flickr

Next I received my wheels and they are loaded up and ready to be mounted:
IMAG0674 by Shook1db, on Flickr

IMAG0680 by Shook1db, on Flickr

·
Registered
9,379 Posts
The Hopslam shifter is awesome! May steal your idea but use my favorite beer :p I need to make it over to Bell's, I'm in A2 but have never ventured over to those breweries in GR/Kalamazoo:thumbup:

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Hopslam shifter is awesome! May steal your idea but use my favorite beer :p I need to make it over to Bell's, I'm in A2 but have never ventured over to those breweries in GR/Kalamazoo:thumbup:
Thanks! Do it up! I wish it was metal (it's wood) but it does the job. You are missing some of the best breweries in the state!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Thanks! Do it up! I wish it was metal (it's wood) but it does the job. You are missing some of the best breweries in the state!
How did you do it? I may want to make a baseball into a shifter.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Metal is my least favorite material for a shift knob. When it is hot, it is really hot and stays hot. When it is cold, it is really cold and stays cold.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How did you do it? I may want to make a baseball into a shifter.
I'll do a write up in here. It's very simple. I'll pick up another tap handle or something and do it.

Metal is my least favorite material for a shift knob. When it is hot, it is really hot and stays hot. When it is cold, it is really cold and stays cold.
Flossy shift knobs has metal weighted knobs with coatings on them. I had one custom made for my last car and it was my favorite shift knob I've ever owned. It would get warm but never hot and never did it get very cold. It had to do with the coating over the metal. They had the worst customer service I've ever experienced and it took them 3 months to get it to me (in the meantime I had no clue what was going on, ever) but it was the best shift knob I've ever had. I actually kept it from the old car but it doesn't fit on this one, lol.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SO wheels are on and the car took a trip with me and a couple friends to North Carolina and back! So here we go!

Washed it first and took some pictures!
20140714-DSC_0332 by Shook1db, on Flickr

20140714-DSC_0336 by Shook1db, on Flickr

20140714-DSC_0344 by Shook1db, on Flickr

20140714-DSC_0351 by Shook1db, on Flickr

It needs to be lowered a bit. So I bought some VWR springs that will be installed soon. Can't wait.

Left for North Carolina at 10pm. We are driving through the night to avoid traffic. Got home from work, took a nap, woke up and bought some 5 hour energies and took off!

First fill up of many:
20140723-DSC_0360 by Shook1db, on Flickr

Part of the trip:
20140727-DSC_0100 by Shook1db, on Flickr

We pulled over at 8 am and took a nap. Woke up after an hour~ and left to finally arrive. After 800 miles I took some pictures:
20140724-DSC_0363 by Shook1db, on Flickr

20140724-DSC_0367 by Shook1db, on Flickr

20140725-DSC_0075 by Shook1db, on Flickr

20140725-DSC_0080 by Shook1db, on Flickr

After 4 days and not enough pictures we headed back. Left at 6 am so I could get home at a half way reasonable time. Ended up getting home just after 7pm. Total mileage and what was left in the tank when I pulled in my driveway:
IMAG0773 by Shook1db, on Flickr

·
Registered
53 Posts
Your car is beautiful! Love the shift knob! :thumbup: You found exactly what I'm searching for! I hope to be driving one soon.

Can you explain what the benefits are from the modifications you made? I am so new to the R that I don't know what the brands or manufacturers are for different mods. I am just starting to learn what the favorite mods are and what they do. Thanks!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your car is beautiful! Love the shift knob! :thumbup: You found exactly what I'm searching for! I hope to be driving one soon.

Can you explain what the benefits are from the modifications you made? I am so new to the R that I don't know what the brands or manufacturers are for different mods. I am just starting to learn what the favorite mods are and what they do. Thanks!
Thanks a ton! I appreciate that. I'm extremely happy with the car and it's a blast to drive!

The modifications done (excluding the wheels) were what I needed for stage 2. I talked to the guy that would be tuning the car about intakes and his experiences with tuning different intakes and a fellow Golf R owner that's local about his experience with the product. Evoms seemed the best option after that research. The fuel pump upgrade was required as was the downpipe. I initially was going to go with an entire CTS Turboback exhaust setup but I'm holding off on the cat-back purchase because there are other things I wanted more. I want this car to handle well and have significant power for making all of my buddies with STI's look silly :) . The next upgrade will be a clutch to handle the torque and power of the Stage 2 United Motorsports tune and VWR Swaybars (front and rear).

This weekend was a big weekend for the R. First went to the beach and farmers Market with the wife and dogs!
IMAG0737 by Shook1db, on Flickr

Found a fellow VW owner at the farmers market!
IMAG0789 by Shook1db, on Flickr

Also installed the VWR springs! Pictures will be posted before and afters, etc, etc. Easy install but I'll post more about it later.

Last but most definitely not least, the car went to Chicago and Lui put a Stage 2 loaded United Motorspot tune on it!!!!!! I've been waiting to do this for a couple weeks due to time constraints and I'm so happy it's finally done. It feels great and what a huge upgrade. that tune was. The car sits at 28 lbs right now (even though it's the stock clutch) and drives great so far. Even got a tad better gas mileage on the way home!

GTI we saw on the way there:
IMAG0793 by Shook1db, on Flickr

Lui doing his thing:
IMAG0794 by Shook1db, on Flickr

Wife and I stopped for some amazing Pizza before we left chicago, best pizza ever:
IMAG0796 by Shook1db, on Flickr

More to come on the suspension and stage 2 fun.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks a ton! I appreciate that. I'm extremely happy with the car and it's a blast to drive!

The modifications done (excluding the wheels) were what I needed for stage 2. I talked to the guy that would be tuning the car about intakes and his experiences with tuning different intakes and a fellow Golf R owner that's local about his experience with the product. Evoms seemed the best option after that research. The fuel pump upgrade was required as was the downpipe. I initially was going to go with an entire CTS Turboback exhaust setup but I'm holding off on the cat-back purchase because there are other things I wanted more. I want this car to handle well and have significant power for making all of my buddies with STI's look silly :) . The next upgrade will be a clutch to handle the torque and power of the Stage 2 United Motorsports tune and VWR Swaybars (front and rear).

This weekend was a big weekend for the R. First went to the beach and farmers Market with the wife and dogs!
IMAG0737 by Shook1db, on Flickr

Found a fellow VW owner at the farmers market!
IMAG0789 by Shook1db, on Flickr

Also installed the VWR springs! Pictures will be posted before and afters, etc, etc. Easy install but I'll post more about it later.

Last but most definitely not least, the car went to Chicago and Lui put a Stage 2 loaded United Motorspot tune on it!!!!!! I've been waiting to do this for a couple weeks due to time constraints and I'm so happy it's finally done. It feels great and what a huge upgrade. that tune was. The car sits at 28 lbs right now (even though it's the stock clutch) and drives great so far. Even got a tad better gas mileage on the way home!

GTI we saw on the way there:
IMAG0793 by Shook1db, on Flickr

Lui doing his thing:
IMAG0794 by Shook1db, on Flickr

Wife and I stopped for some amazing Pizza before we left chicago, best pizza ever:
IMAG0796 by Shook1db, on Flickr

More to come on the suspension and stage 2 fun.
How well did the r handle on the beach? I was thinking of driving mine onto he beach but had a fear of getting stuck so decided to just park it and walk.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How well did the r handle on the beach? I was thinking of driving mine onto he beach but had a fear of getting stuck so decided to just park it and walk.
You should be fine as long as you dont spin your tires lol. Spinning your tires will put you in a rut. Driving slowly, cruising along should be fine.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Visited a buddy after a few dyno runs (sadly I didn't have my stage 2 tune so I didn't do any):
GOPR0063 by Shook1db, on Flickr

Also the suspension stuffs!

Before Pic on stock suspension:
DSC_0385 by Shook1db, on Flickr

I'm starting with the rears because it's much easier and I don't need spring compressors for it. Such an easy install. Disconnect the HID Leveler, remove the bolt that connects the spring perch and lower it with a jack.
DSC_0386 by Shook1db, on Flickr

Put the new spring in, rotate it so bottom spring (where it's cut) is pushed again the tab on the perch and put the rubber back on top of the spring. Hold it in place and jack it back up:
DSC_0392 by Shook1db, on Flickr

Put the HID leveler back on (only on the driver's side on these cars) and put the bolt back in and tighten back down. Then do the other side.

Onto the fronts. I don't have a spreader tool but I did some research and think I can do it just as easily without one:
DSC_0393 by Shook1db, on Flickr

Thankfully I didn't need the pb blaster for this project but I had it out just incase. Air tools make everything so much easier.

Wheel off, remove the 3 nuts on the bottom of the LCA and push the LCA off the hub assembly (this will allow the hub to move down far enough to get the strut out easily), remove the sway bar end link where it connects to the strut, remove the stretch bolt on the back of the strut and put your spreader tool in (I used a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter and it worked perfectly fine) the small slot behind the strut and spread it. At this point I was able to kick down on the top of the rotor, unbolt the top 3 bolts under the windshield wiper guards and the strut came out:
DSC_0395 by Shook1db, on Flickr

I read some stuff about not mixing up the sides but both sides have the exact same part numbers and I have never known struts to be side specific so that wasn't much of a concern though I did know where each went. Disassemble the strut/spring using (I think) an 18 and some spring compressors. Difference in springs:
DSC_0396 by Shook1db, on Flickr

Reinstall all of it. I put in the 3 bolts at the top (under the windshield wipers) for the struts to hold it in place while I did the rest. The hardest part for me was getting the LCA back onto the hub assembly. The 3 studs do pivot so that helped. I put the jack under the rotor and jacked up a bit then let it settle back down while lining up the 3 studs into the LCA. Bolted the LCA back up, then got the strut started in the hub assembly put the spreader tool back in place, lined up the skinny piece of the strut (on the back) with the slit where the spreader tool goes and used the jack on the bottom of the control arm to "press" it back in. After that I put a stretch bolt back in the hole on the back of the strut then the sway bar link back on.
DSC_0397 by Shook1db, on Flickr

I've let the springs settle and will take an after picture soon to show the difference.

The springs lowered the car the amount I was looking for AND feel great. They are a bit stiffer but still VERY quiet and pleasant. I daily drive this car and have pushed all of my old DD's too far when it comes to cabin noise, vibrations, loud suspension, etc. I'm very happy about these springs and my decision to use them.

1 - 20 of 219 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.